RB Designs and FRP

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX_Johnny

RB Designs and FRP

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Hey guys! Glad to hop aboard! I just joined the site!
With that being said I have a big question.

I purchased a NOS KDX... You read that right. A NEW OLD STOCK KDX200. The bike was sitting in a Kawasaki storage unit behind a dealer for 8 years. I heard about it through a family member who owns a Kawasaki dealership himself. I got it for $2500 cash. So I've been riding the bike half a year now. And I have pretty much mastered the stock machine.
Now that I have satisfied myself with the bike, I am looking to upgrade it. Because I like destroying the 0-200 class ;D haha. This is my list thus far in order.

MOD LIST:
FMF Gnarly rev with Turbinecore 2 silencer.
Boyesen 607 power reeds
Suspension.
ONCE I BLOW THE TOP END:
I will send my jug to FRP
I want to send my Head to RB
I also want to send my carb to RB.

Now. My question is. WILL THE FRP MODS MIX WITH THE RB MODS?!
I can't find an answer anywhere :(
Also has anybody run these mods? What are your carb specs. Thanks for your help and time guys! Ride on!
Just a square trying to ram myself into that circular hole...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: RB Designs and FRP

Post by Julien D »

The RB carb should be fine. If you are determined to send the jug to FRP for port work, I would send him the head as well. If you plan on waiting until the top end needs replacing, this is probably going to be a long time away. KDX top ends last a very long time. :mrgreen:

Welcome to KDXRIDER, and congrats on your new KDX. That is quite a score!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'm just finishing assembling a hybrid for a buddy. It is a FRP 220 cylinder and head with an RBD carb. I'm not clear on which pipe it is, Gnarly rev or woods. I need to figure that out.
I'll post a review after it is running, it will be about two weeks.

Just for the record - I had an old 220 cylinder and sat it side by side with the FRP cylinder. Most of the work was done on the intake side. The plating looked very good. I could not tell if the head had been modified, but I think so.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Awesome! Thanks guys! And Julien you say just send the jug and head to FRP?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If Freddette is going to do the port work, it would be best to let him work the head to suit, yes.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

RB Designs and FRP

Post by scheckaet »

+1
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Thanks Julien! Anyhow, I have learned that sending the jug out is kinda unnecessary and if i'm gonna go that crazy I may as well get a 250. Which makes sense. Also that the RB head and carb mods give plenty of power and still keep the reliability of the bike. I actually just installed Boyesen Dual-Stage 607 Power Reeds 30 minutes ago. LET ME TELL YOU. That not only did I feel the extra snap and pickup. I ACTUALLY HEARD the CRISPNESS in the revs. I took a video before and after I installed the reeds of me just revving the bike. It just sounds so crisp and hits faster. There really isn't that bu-WAAA anymore it's just B-WAAA... I haven't felt this excited and jumpy since I was 8 on christmas day! :lol: :mrgreen: Can't wait to rip once its dry out! Next step is the FMF REV & Turbine coming in about 3 weeks! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! :boogie: :boogie: :supz: :supz: :rock: :rock: :busted: :busted:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The REV pipe will also make a huge difference, especially if you run remove or perforate the airbox lid and re-jet. The silencer makes little to no difference, but it does shed some weight and look nicer. :grin:
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Julien: I have already modded my airbox by removing the snorkel and cutting out a (+/-) 2x3 inch hole. Also you said re-jet? ... That makes me a little upset to hear considering Jeff from FRP said not to touch the jetting because my 607 reeds will naturally make the bike run a hair richer, and then the pipe will use that excess fuel and balance out again. Making the stock jetting sufficient until I send my carb and head to RB if course.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I hate to disagree with a legend like Jeff, but I never make any big change to my bike without re-jetting. Running the stock jets is safe, of course, but if you're looking for a nearly free performance boost a perfectly jetted carb makes a HUGE difference. If you're going to let Ron go through the carb, might as well wait till you get it back. He does a pretty darn good job getting you close on jetting provided you give him all the correct info.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Shoot. Thanks for the heads up! And if I tell Ron that my bike has the FMF system and the 607s do you think he'd get the jetting right? I mean I'm sure THOUSANDS of people have run the setup I'm about to do
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

He will get it close, but it always helps if it's jetted for your setup before you send it to him, as he does take the current jetting into account. Just let him know your setup, elevation, and what mods you've done. He'll jet it pretty close and usually send you a few extra jets with a sheet of recommendations.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Okay so I'm going to take on the challenge and jet this thing then. Julien would you be able to help me figure this out? My home in New Jersey has an elevation of 161ft. My home in WV has an elevation of 961ft... I don't think 800ft would change my jets too much. But taking those into consideration I also have the Boyesen 607s, FMF rev with Turbine, and an airbox lid delete. So with all that being said... Would you happen to know what jets would run best? I'm also running a 40:1 ratio with a BR8ES plug. Thanks for your help!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It can actually be pretty fun. We have a great guide here:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 105&t=1156

Tackle the pilot and needle first, as that doesn't take much effort. I don't like to recommend specific jets, but If I had to guess you'll likely end up w a low 40's pilot and low 150's MJ. You'll need a a few jets on hand to get started. I get mine from jets-r-us, but if you have a local supplier that's obviously faster.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

I feel like I would wind up running with this set up after my mods. This is me doing a lot of research I shouldn't be doing right now. :mrgreen:

Bike Specs:

Year: 2006
Model: 200
NORMAL elevation 161ft (+/-) 300ft
Currently living in WV @ an elevation of 961ft (+/-) 300ft
Engine:
Airbox lid- removed snorkel and drilled a (+/-) 2x3 inch hole
UNI Twin Stage w/oil
Boyesen Dual-Stage 607 Power Reeds
FMF Gnarly Desert “Rev” pipe & Turbinecore 2 silencer
Running on a 40:1 mixture on a BR8ES plug

Elevation match: PJ 42, MJ 150, Needle number/type and clip: CEL-2 (>50 degrees F)
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Two bikes with the same mods riding the same trail at the same time could have two different jetting specs. So while you can use a similar setup as a starting point, you really need to go through the procees to find out what your bike needs to run properly.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

:cry: but I don't have the time or money to keep ripping the carb out and buying jets :sad: i wish i could just hand the bike to somebody :lol: because i'm one of those guys who will get on the bike and IF the IS something wrong with it I will figure it out quick, learn it, and try to avoid it... So the bike always runs good to me! :lol:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It isnt that time consuming or expensive.

Once you go through the process you will be able to keep your bike running well when the weather changes or you make additional modifications.

You can go with someone elses settings, but you wont really know if you are getting the most out of your engine.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I just read your first post with your list of modifications. You have listed out spending a lot of money there. A few pieces of brass is nothing compared to that. And the improvement you will get with a properly jetted bike will beat all those mods on a $ per HP improvement.
KDX_Johnny

Post by KDX_Johnny »

Well a good $500 of that wont be done until next year most likely when the top end goes. I have also decided not too send the jug out, just the RB carb, and head. But as for right now ill be spending $435.03 (full exhaust, reeds) PLUS the jets. so like another.. $40? when all said and done. I know they aren't expensive... but fidgety work kills me hahaha I just have to buckle down and do it. But is what i have listed a good place to start? a 42PJ and a 150MJ? with the CEL in the 2nd notch?