05 kdx 200 winterizing

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

05 kdx 200 winterizing

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hi All,

I have read the owner's manual and the repair manual and there isn't much information regarding winterizing. With my 4 stroke I fill the gas tank and add some fuel stabilizer, drain the carb and float bowl and remove the battery and put it on trickle chare over the winter and that is it. I have to believe there is more to winterizing a 2 stroke. As we live in the great white north where the bike can be in storage for 4 or 5 months it is important that we do it correctly. If anyone out there has a step by step winterizing procedure that they follow and has been successful it would help me a lot to have it posted. One thing I have heard is that the 2 strokes don't like fuel stabilizer and they don't like to have the mixed fuel in the tank over the winter. Not at all sure if this is urban legend or not.

Thanks.
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 05 kdx 200 winterizing

Post by 6 Riders »

I've never winterized mine....I ride year round. I would assume a good and fresh anti freeze mix, new oil, fresh air filter and drain the carb. Fuel in the tank shouldn't matter, since the tank is plastic. Also, the pre-mix will act as a stabilizer for the fuel. I do use a little Stabil if not riding for a couple weeks (in the winter) just so the gas doesn't separate/evaporate in our quick change temperatures here, never had a problem.....again I don't think the Stabil is needed though.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

NO way I would leave fuel in the tank like that. I drain it and drain the bowl.

Get the tires off the ground.

Spray light oil on all unpainted surfaces.

Put some plastic over the bike for dust reasons.

Fuel in the tank DOES matter. Have you ever seen a slightly brown tank?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SotS

Post by SotS »

Interesting to read this post. Here in South Africa we ride all year around. The only thing that does affect us in the winter is dust, especially here in the summer rain areas where we don't get any rain during the winter to keep the trails' dust down.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hey SotS,

How often do you have to clean the air filter during those dusty times? I have to think it is quite often. Yes I am envious of all riders who live in areas that allow for 12 month riding.

Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

KDXhopeful wrote:Hey SotS,

How often do you have to clean the air filter during those dusty times? I have to think it is quite often. Yes I am envious of all riders who live in areas that allow for 12 month riding.

Pat

I live in Michigan and I ride year round
all it needs is a set of spiked tires and some brass :whistle:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SotS

Post by SotS »

KDXhopeful wrote:Hey SotS,

Pat
After every ride in very dusty conditions. Our rides average between 120-140km (75-87 miles) and that is a lot of dust, especially if our rider group is big.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Just drain the tank and the carb, fresh anti-freeze, and normal wash and lube then put it away. 2 strokes are way easier than 4 strokes in that regard. BTW your premix will not act as stabilizer, but I have had premixed fuel sit in the tank for several (5 to be exact) months and bike fired right up...but don't recommend it as normal practice! :naughty:

Or better yet...follow DIY's example and just put the pointy tires on and ride that baby year round!
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

tapcons and your old **** tires for the win :lol: If your goin cheopo route then use an older tire they seem to not rip as easy just not comfortable but your riding in snow who cares.

Maybe a skid for the front and a paddle for the rear will suffice too.

What I have found with the winters here off of the lake I live in a snow belt so I get 4 ft to areas that get 4 inches. I take the gas tank off and drain it entirely and then drain the carb. I don't leave it so.....I take a small amount (use the calculator here) and mix enough to keep the seals and everything going and start it up every so often. :hmm: Once every two months or so I guess and drain and repeat till riding season.

What I have found is remove the carb tank and filter. The filter still contains moisture with the oil and will freeze to some extend in those lower temps. Just remember to bring it with you to start up the bike :?

I would advise not washing directly before storing tho. Let it dry very good VERY good! Regreese like said.

TBH I just ride mine its a lot easier I have found. That and who cares it sits beside my bed in winter now. Its filter gets washed in the shower so its part of the family.

Rob all fuel from it or ride it is really the only option in the colder weather. Also in winter don't run the ICE coolant. I actually had the slide stick on me and it wasn't fun. My brute has antifreeze running through the carbs just for this and I would of loved it on my kdx for sure. Almost blew the engine but it flipped into the trees and died. Scariest thing ever. I don't know if it was the ice but I went to a general all use antifreeze and it hasn't happened since.

Food for thought! Hope it helps.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.