Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Need help. Stumped

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hi All,

2006 KDX 200.

When she is not warmed up like a lot and when you have the clutch in and drop it into 1st gear she shuts off. My young lad has told me if you rev her it doesn't happen. I use Spectro gear oil and changed it not long ago. I am pretty fussy about how our things work and don't like his bike doing this. I have adjusted the clutch and it still does it. I will have to ride his bike more often to make sure everything is okay with it. At 15 all he wants is for it to start and go fast. Any help with this would be awesome as I don't want to have to take it to the dealer. She shifts through the gears without any issues and starts great.

Thanks
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Need help. Stumped

Post by pumpguy »

I have no personal experience with this problem on a KDX, but it sounds like you're saying the clutch is dragging when you engage first gear when starting from cold.

First thing I would suggest is the oil. You may find a different gearbox oil will give different results. Many use and recommend Type F ATF. Others use oil specifically labeled for use with a wet clutch. You may need to do a few changes to flush out everything to get better results.

A trick often recommended on Brit bikes is to free the clutch first before actually starting. This involves putting the bike in gear and kicking through slowly a few times with the clutch pulled to free the plates. Then select neutral when trying to start.

Another cause could be a grooved clutch basket. If grooved, those grooves act as cams and prevent the plates from freeing easily. If grooved, a simple file clean-up of the grooves should solve the problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Last edited by pumpguy on 01:07 pm Aug 27 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Need help. Stumped

Post by Gotanubike »

Sounds like your clutch is sticking. Had a similar problem with my old xs400. Here what I did:

Start the bike and put it up on a center stand so the back tire is off the ground. Then pull the clutch and put it into first gear. The tire will start rotating, so with the clutch still pulled in, use your foot to slow down and stop the tire from spinning. Should free up the clutch for the time being. Maybe there is an easier trick. Try running ATF type F for a ride or two, I hear it fixes the sticking clutch problem.
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Need help. Stumped

Post by Julien D »

I would try ATF type F in the trans, and see if that helps at all. Most likely what you are experiencing is the clutch dragging due to a notched clutch basket though.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Any suggested brands would help? Especially if someone has had luck with one brand in particular.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

For the oil? Brand doesn't matter much. Just grab a bottle of regular old inexpensive type F.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Thanks everybody.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Need help. Stumped

Post by Fitterman24 »

We use cheap ATF type F and change it often----like every 10 hrs of ride time it not sooner.