1999 KDX not starting

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

1999 KDX not starting

Post by superman27e »

What's up, guys? Got another problem with the 220. Was letting it idle to warm it up and it just cut off. No bogging or anything weird. Just cut off. Tried to start it again, but nothing. Has good compression and I've replaced the spark plug and sprayed a little starting fluid into the spark plug hole and still nothing.

Suggestions?
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 1999 KDX not starting

Post by Fitterman24 »

Check that you are getting fuel and ground the spark plug while kicking it with your hand. If you have gas and spark, she should fire. The ether may have evaporated by the time you got the plug back in and tightened. Let us know and good luck.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I did that. Not sure if it was weak or not. But it's sunny outside and I still saw it, sooooo
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

How much gas is in it?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

3/4 tank
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I think it has something to do with the float. I took the carb off and took it apart. Went to put it back together and the pen that hold the float to the bracket fell out. Put it back in, started it and gas was leaking. Took it back apart and saw that the needle that hooks to the float tang was off. Put that back on and put it back on the bike. It started right up, but after 3 minutes of riding, it bogged down and died. Tried to start it, ran for a second and bogged again. If I try to give it gas, and it bogged and died.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Took the carb back off to drain the bowl and adjust the float height. It started after 4-5 kicks, idle for like 10 seconds, then died. Try to start it again, it will act like it's about to, but doesn't. It also backfired 3 times while trying to start it if that helps. Is it getting too much gas?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Is there fuel in the bowl after it dies and wont restart?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea. If I lean it over far enough it comes out of the over flow hose
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Could the pilot jet cause it? I wasn't able to take it out, because I couldn't find my screw driver :p But the main jet was good.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Cleaned the pilot jet. No luck. And it still keeps backfiring. And when it does it smells like something burnt...but sharper? I don't know how to explains it, haha. Wish there was a way to attach smells like pictures :p
Fitterman24
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1999 KDX not starting

Post by Fitterman24 »

I don't know what the burnt smell would be. Sounds like you need to disassemble and clean the carb and needles......as soon as you beg, borrow or steal a screwdriver :lol: Most here will tell you that when you think it's clean enough---clean it again. When you are done with that, clean it again. When you get it running next time, don't let it sit and idle. Try to blip the throttle until you have enough heat in the cylinder and see if you are able to get on it and go ride.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I cleaned it like 4 times. Including main and pilot. I even checked the timing because of the backfiring. Everything SEEMS ok
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

these bikes need 3 things to run: gas, air and spark
we know there is gas (thought it wouldn't hurt to pull the hose off the carburetor and check flow, to make sure the tank filter isn't clogged up)
you mentioned you had spark, what color ?
the bluer the better, if the spark is more yellow replace the plug (wouldn't hurt to slap in a fresh plug anyway)
that just leaves air
when was the last time you cleaner and oiled your airfilter ?
a lot of guys will use 2 or more filters per bike so they always have a clean one to install while you get the used one back in speck

if it was my bike I would check the flow from the tank to the carb, replace the spark plug and pull the airfliter to check the intake track
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I'll check the tank to carb, but since it's getting to the float bowl, doesn't that mean it's good? I replaced the plug 2 days ago, but I just pulled it and it's wet and black already. I'll check the filter nd stuff now. I checked he compression, too. It's a tad over 120
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

So I took the filter out and tried to start it, and it started :p Filter is now drying in the sun, haha. Thanks guys. Kind of embarrassing :p
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Spoke too soon. Ran great just long enough for me to take it up the road a few times, then it died. Started it up, ran for 10 seconds, now it won't start again.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, once it's running for a while, it cuts off and backfires...every time. I pull the spark plug, wipe it off, and it runs again. There's also a good bit of spooge coming out of the exhaust and running down the bottom. I can stick my hand 5 inches from it, rev it, and spooge sprays on my hand.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

since you went through about everything else and say the bike runs well when it does ...

that much spooge Id check the exhaust.....is the silencer clean? is there a lot of carbon spooge buildup preventing gases to escape?

id say that would be something else to look into and when you straighten that out Id go through the jetting guide and jet it right.

If an aftermarket silencer it will need repacked or if its the stock one then you have a bolt underneath that is a drain hole and you run the bike and tap it with a rubber mallet to get the excess out.

Its the banana in the exhaust theory here. If you plug up the exhaust then the vehicle doesn't run same thing with a 2 stroke except the banana is excess spooge buildup from an incorrect jetted bike.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea, I checked the packing yesterday, and the end towards the silencer was extremely saturated in oil. If you put any pressure on it, oil would pour out of the packing. Threw it away. Also looked at the piston and it has some nice scratches on it. Should I run it with the scratches on it?