Does an aftermarket pipe significantly affect range?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Meaning, if you typically had a range of 100km/60miles with the stock pipe, did you notice a significant decrease in range after you installed a new FMF pipe? I understand the increase in power is noticeable, so is there also a significant decrease in overall mileage/range of the bike?
MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ »

I have 2005 200 with pro circuit (otherwise stock 160 & 48) and get 100k. cant see why FMF wouldnt acheive 100k. Just rebuilt top end and going to rejet a little leaner so be interesting what this does to range? cheers mike t
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it's all about how hard you twist the throttle...
For street use i doubt it'd make a huge difference. In the dirt, probably more, you're sucking more gas the harder you accelerate...
Bitteeinit

Re: Does an aftermarket pipe significantly affect range?

Post by Bitteeinit »

Interesting. I just figured that an increase in power would also mean a heavy drop in mileage. I have a 12L tank, so the range should already be 100km. Might pick up a pipe in December then. I was only worried because a lot of my riding is long-range. But yeah, it always depends how heavy/difficult the terrain is. I think I'll run some tests with my GPS first to see total mileage from fu to reserve/empty and take it from there. If I consistently get around 100km, then an aftermarket pipe wouldn't do much harm.