bent subframe

Got questions? We got answers....
jaywhite204

bent subframe

Post by jaywhite204 »

Got my first bike couple weeks ago going up a ditch i grabbed a throttle full and launched my bike now my subframe is bent just wondering how you guys would straighten it? I've tried ratchet straps between trees but can't quite get it to in place. Will riding it like affect anything at all only the part under the fender is bent.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: bent subframe

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard Jay
the proper way to band it back into shape is heating it with a torch and then applying force to get it back into shape
having said that, one of my KDXs has a good subframe, one is bent and one is cut up...apart from the silencer touching the fender on the bent one you couldn't tell the difference from 5 feet out
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ICRage42
Supporting Member

bent subframe

Post by ICRage42 »

Having done collision repair mine wasn't all that horrible to do and it was tweaked hard down on the left rear.

Anyway your actually going about it the hard wrong way. What is hurting you is the suspension of the bike just strapping it wont help. If your going to strap it your gonna have to remove the wheels and brace the frame secured to the ground somehow and any strap you do it can work from there just remember every action has an opposite reaction.

I had mine down to the frame and no forks or swingarm/wheels etc. I grabbed some fourxfour blocks and made a stand in the bed of my truck I then strapped the frame to bed using the four corner tie offs (ranger). Once it was secured to bed I strapped mine to a tree (watch for widow makers) limb and raised the rear of truck up and strapped tight and slowly let truck down to the point where enough stress was hitting the right spot for my bend. I then took a bar and tweaked to where it was back to normal.....I did use heat a bit but just a propane torch but with this amount of stress and heat you can easily go too far.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.