c series big bore kit

Got questions? We got answers....
dsmitty

c series big bore kit

Post by dsmitty »

My 1988 kdx200 is due for a new piston. I found out it has a LA SLEEVE 240cc big bore kit. I can get a piston for it,but....Eric Gorr has a stock jug he will give me if he does the work. Are there any reliability or longevity issues with the big bore? Is it worth any advantages it may have? I would hope that it has substantial power and torque gains. What do you guys think? Go back to stock or keep the big bore?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: c series big bore kit

Post by KDXGarage »

Since you are wanting power, why not stick with the 240??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd just stick with the 240. :)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Problem solved. Julien D, just stick with the 240. :mrgreen:
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

HOOT, I was hoping you guys would say that. Now the big questions.
A) RB do the bore and the head work to match. The head may be stock, I don't know. (that is if he'll even touch it). Get his carb work done?
B) Have EG bore, port, and do the head. I wonder if it might be stock porting and not compliment the bore job.
C) Can I just bore, hone, clean, whatever it needs to be right, put the piston in and ride...SHOULD I do any of this other work, to make it work..properly
EG said $500 gets the whole package. Wrist pin to powervalves. ALL inclusive. EVERTHING. The Cheap rout is Piston kit, gaskets and bore..roughly $30
Is my bottom, tranny and clutch gonna take all this? :) another can o worms :) I just bought the twin air filter, boyesen 607's, DG pipe, chain an sprockets and a knobby. So much for my $300 spare bike!!!!! I don't care, we (kids and I) all have our "own" bikes, but since I bought this kdx, there is always a parked bike and the kdx is out being rode! We love it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you think the head is stock?

I don't see how it would have mounted up properly.
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

I didn't think of that. Still though, if EG ports and mills shouldn't the head/squish be done to match. I' m waiting to hear back from RB. I asked if he would even do a carb for an over bore job like that. If he won't I think there is a choice. EG motor work on 240 BB or RB stock jug with his carb/head work

EG...Have the 240cc motor with his jug/head bore, mill, port, polish, power valve check/fix, diamond coat (?), baking soda soak, and make it glow in the dark! Do the best I can with my carb.

RB...Stock jug an piston, his carb/head work

Both will cost about $500. I think here we have the power vs reliability issue. Any thoughts anyone.