The curse of stripped or frozen tank shroud bolts

Got questions? We got answers....
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Hello All.

I've been in the process of documenting a complete "re-animation" of a severely abused '92 KDX250. As certain tasks take focus, I'll be identifying tips, tricks and issues that may be of use outside of my project thread. These will get additional, separate threads for easier searching. This is the first...

In the process of disassembling the project bike, I found that the left-side rear shroud bolt in the fuel tank had been cross-threaded and forced into place by about three complete bolt turns. At that point, the tank insert must have broken loose inside the tank from the force applied. Of course, when I went to remove the shroud, the jammed bolt just spun.

Since parts for the KDX250 are more scarce, I needed to figure out a fix that would let me keep both the tank and the shroud. While the 200/220 has a more common parts pool, this info may be of use to the budget-minded who aren't into buying a new fuel tank when this happens.

The removal solution applied was suggested by "6 rider" on my project thread (thank you). Basically, the idea is to spin the insert to generate just enough heat to soften (borderline melt) the tank and pull out the original insert for fixing/re-threading/replacing. I took the proper socket driver for the shroud bolt into a single-speed (not variable) hand drill and let it fly, while applying a slight outward pressure with a large pry tool under the shroud and a rocking motion at the drill.

It worked. The insert was out in under ten seconds. I immediately used my thumb to push back the "mushroomed" plastic flat to the tank surface again, leaving a pocket in the tank a bit larger than the original insert. The insert itself looks like this...

I was expecting more of a barrel, but the "cube" makes more sense from a force resistance perspective...a barrel may not "grip" as well and would strip out under less torque.

Anyway, I originally thought that I'd re-use the original insert, but getting that cube back into the tank (especially after "resetting" the hole) would be a chore. I'm instead going to look for an extra-deep well nut, or tape off the bottom of an extra-deep nut matching a stock shroud bolt, then re-install it by surrounding it in the cavity with epoxy.

More pics to come as the repair itself is completed. Any recommendations on hardware sourcing for the extra-deep nut or double-depth well nut would be appreciated.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: The curse of stripped or frozen tank shroud bolts

Post by Tedh98 »

This is what I have done in the past and the repair has held up with no problems.

I thread a long bolt into the brass insert. Then lock a pair of vice grips onto the bolt head. Get the propane torch out and heat up the brass insert. I then insert the heated brass insert back into the tank. As long as you have it hot enough it will melt the plastic and go back in.

The hardest part is holding it still long enough for the plastic to cool down. Then I get a clean soldering tip on the soldering iron and clean up the area by melting any plastic that has been displaced back into and around the insert. There have been times that I have "borrowed" some plastic from other parts to fill in any voids.

I may or may not sand down any high spots of plastic. I will see if I can find a picture.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you could always try to epoxy it back too
dingerjunkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingerjunkie »

Well, I'm not sure if the original insert is even salvageable at this point, given how far the PO chewed up the threads. If it taps out clean...great. If not, I'll find suitable replacement hardware.

The trick of re-melting it back in makes sense, as the surface plastic would melt in around the insert and fill the cavity as the hot piece was pushed in. surface plastic or epoxy could be easily added. "Ugly" wouldn't matter, as this will be under a shroud.

Regardless, If anyone has completed this kind of repair and would be good enough to add pics for others to reference in the future, I'd be very grateful.
Theory and Practice are ALWAYS identical...theoretically...
http://www.fire-fx.net
...your theater is on...
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I had a stripped one on my bike. I got it out like you did. I put it in using JB weld making sure not to get it in the threads. It has held great for the last two years.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I had a stripped one and I ended up heating it up and melting it back into the tank. Worked like a charm.
'00 KDX 220R
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I wish i would have read this a few days ago, i had one spinning in the tank so i started cutting the bolt head off with a dremel tool. Before i got it cut off the cutting tool heated up the nut enough that it just pulled out. Now I know how to put it back. Good information thanks :supz: