Hare scramble advice needed

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is there a Sierra club member hiding behind that bush?! Oh no, it is a green / red /yellow sticker checker.

Don't make fun of K-Mart. Isn't that where you get all the ton foil to shove down in your fork clamps?! :mrgreen: :lol: Just mesing with ya.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:NM_KDX200, what is a hare scramble like in your area?
I have no idea- I've never done one! I was hoping you guys could tell me but it looks like I'm going to be Mr. Guinea Pig. But, from what I'm told this one is an 8 mile course that covers the MX, Vet MX, Supercross, and "backcountry" trails (no wood, probably just dirt hills). If you'd click on the link above and then on "Track Map" you'd see just about everything I know about it. 2 hrs w/ 1 mandatory pit stop.

Do they typically hand out numbers at these things or what? I'm told that they'll put a little sticker on my helmet as I make laps. Is it fair to steal someone else's sticker after I've knocked them down??? :twisted:

I pulled the trigger on the Asterisk Cells, BTW. This is an expensive hobby, need I mention???
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When I went, I got a sticker to puton the side of my helmet that was a bar code. Don't be a dweeb like me and put it where your goggle strap goes. That made it hard for the checkers to scan my bar code. There was a chacker every half lap. They scan you like at the grocery store. No, it doesn't go BLOOOP! :lol:

If they are tying in with ALL those tracks, it souinds like they are short on land or just didn't want to cut new trail. The race I raced had no MX track on it. I wasn't there to test my skill in putting/rolling over jumps anyway.

Expensive indeed, but the bikes have great resale value. :blink:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...they pointed a laser beam at your head and pulled the trigger?

Well...that explains a few things...

re: Asterisks

I'd like to hear what you think of 'em.

Some races will mail you numbers if you register early enough. If you wait 'til race day, they will assign you a number...but it's up to you to get it displayed to suit them. That may mean both side plates and front plate.

It's not all the same everywhere.

Up here, it's not a matter of where you are when the set time is up...it's whatever time it takes to complete the course (# of laps for your particular class).

Good Luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh, another thing. On the start, there sent the fastest guys on the first minute, then waited another minute and started another row, etc. until it got to the 200C row. I think there were 40 us all lined up side by side. There wasn't room in the first corner for 40, so watch out if you are in the same situation.

Also, the start was dead engine. The starter waved a flag and everyone THEN cranked his engine and left.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

We had a start here once that had me standing behind the bike..holding the thing up by the fender. THEN the starter pistol went off. I don't now how common that is.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have never heard of that. I have seen where the rider had to be by the front fender and could hold the clutch lever in, then run and get on it.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:I think there were 40 us all lined up side by side. There wasn't room in the first corner for 40, so watch out if you are in the same situation.
So either get the hole shot or hang towards the back group. Don't get caught in the middle group pile up
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:We had a start here once that had me standing behind the bike..holding the thing up by the fender. THEN the starter pistol went off. I don't now how common that is.
I have heard of these races
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

the one i did was dead engine, but here's what freaked me out at first.

each time the 15sec flag and the start flag would drop, each row would practice their cold starts and start their engines. took me a couple of rows to figure what they were doing. just trying to figure the timing of the flag guy i guess.

i just lagged to the back for the first tight corner and then started picking off people in the woods. not a lot of people mind you, but some none the less.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
layoutd wrote: i just lagged to the back for the first tight corner and then started picking off people in the woods. not a lot of people mind you, but some none the less.
That's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm going to get the holeshot on a KX125 or KDX200 against who knows how many KTM250, 300's, 450fs??? Right. :roll: I'm thinking of just sitting there and letting them all go, and then riding around the crashes. I've got 2 hrs. to catch up.

That's how my first MX race worked, back in '78. Kentucky- Clay City, I think. We drove up on Saturday to practice and I was doing great, passing all my buddies. Then it rained all night on a freshly disked track of Kentucky clay. On the start, I immediately slipped off into line of the guy next to me and got so plastered with mud I had to stop and wipe my goggles off. When I could see again, I saw the entire field except me piled up in the first corner, so I just rode around them and "took off". I made it about 2/3 of a lap before getting hopelessly stuck in the mud. I had the RM125's throttle wide open and the bike just sat there, clutch burning, so I left the bike just standing upright in the middle of the track and sat on the hill to watch. Eventually, someone passed me, only to get stuck on the downhill. Not a single 125 made a full lap. The 250's started and 2-3 of them made it past me, but no one made a full lap. Finally, the open class started and someone on a Maico 450 made not 1, but 2, and then 3 complete laps! He was throwing mud 100' in the air! My buddy came over with my XL125 and we pulled the RM out and threw it in a farm pond to get some of the mud off. What a mess.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thats a great story.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Thats a great story.
Well, Clay City has special memories for me. :grin: The NEXT time I went up (they raced once a month or something like that), I was all fired up and ready to DO GOOD. I unloaded the RM from my 3-rail Holsclaw trailer that I towed behind my orange Chevy Monza (3-speed!), slapped my helmet (Bell Moto 2) on and rode over to sign up. Paid my $$$ and headed back to the truc...er...car. Kentucky, morning, wet grass, pipey 2-stroke....I shifted from 1st to 2nd and revved it a bit to clean the plug and promptly did a powerslide on the slick wet grass. Yawn...a powerslide.... And, of course, not being agressive and on the ball, the powerslide turned into a highside and I flipped over on some logs they were using as spectator seating. Landed right square on my back and all my breath went WHOOOSSHHH!!!! and I got real dizzy, real fast. Next thing I knew, I was in the ambulance sucking oxygen. Turns out I broke a rib about 1" from the spine and collapsed a lung and passed out. Someone from the pits saw me, but my RM had balanced on the log and they thought I was working on my bike! Well, after I got my lungs refilled and could sit up, I had my mother (my driver and pit-crew) duct-tape me up and I was gonna ride!!! Yeah, you betchya....I hit the first bump and nearly passed out again. If you've ever had a broken rib, you know what I mean. You can't breathe, you can't sit, you can't lay down, and PLEASE don't make me laugh!!! So, we loaded up and went home. I wore my Gold Belt for 6 weeks (the doctor thought it was the perfect thing!).

I finally DID get to actually race there. Third time was the charm, I guess.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Awesome stories!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Great reading! Thanks!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

skip..3 lives in Alabama? Not Jefferson or Lake Tahoe?

I wondered.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

When the KDX is so easy to atart YOU CAN leave them at the line. Mine sticks going from 2nd to 3rd every time I race. I have the Hole Shot, then the bitch bike gets PMS.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
NM_KDX200 wrote:>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Thats a great story.
Well, Clay City has special memories for me. :grin: The NEXT time I went up (they raced once a month or something like that), I was all fired up and ready to DO GOOD. I unloaded the RM from my 3-rail Holsclaw trailer that I towed behind my orange Chevy Monza (3-speed!), slapped my helmet (Bell Moto 2) on and rode over to sign up. Paid my $$$ and headed back to the truc...er...car. Kentucky, morning, wet grass, pipey 2-stroke....I shifted from 1st to 2nd and revved it a bit to clean the plug and promptly did a powerslide on the slick wet grass. Yawn...a powerslide.... And, of course, not being agressive and on the ball, the powerslide turned into a highside and I flipped over on some logs they were using as spectator seating. Landed right square on my back and all my breath went WHOOOSSHHH!!!! and I got real dizzy, real fast. Next thing I knew, I was in the ambulance sucking oxygen. Turns out I broke a rib about 1" from the spine and collapsed a lung and passed out. Someone from the pits saw me, but my RM had balanced on the log and they thought I was working on my bike! Well, after I got my lungs refilled and could sit up, I had my mother (my driver and pit-crew) duct-tape me up and I was gonna ride!!! Yeah, you betchya....I hit the first bump and nearly passed out again. If you've ever had a broken rib, you know what I mean. You can't breathe, you can't sit, you can't lay down, and PLEASE don't make me laugh!!! So, we loaded up and went home. I wore my Gold Belt for 6 weeks (the doctor thought it was the perfect thing!).

I finally DID get to actually race there. Third time was the charm, I guess.
You CRAZY SOB, Your Mother should have COLLAPSED your other lung after getting back on right away
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr