A little report

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

A little report

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hi All,

I haven't been on the site for awhile. My fater in-law passed away and I just spent a week in the hospital. In one of my last posts I said I would report back about our 05 KDX 200. Here is the report.

1. Had it into the Yamaha dealer for a once over. I took it to them because I have found they have the best mechanics around and I work with one of their wives.
2. They replaced the rear brakes, cleaned the carb, did compression test (130) and a couple of other little things.
3. Took it up to the farm right after the dealer did their magic and WOW what a bike. Starts right up. Goes like stink and is a blast to ride. Darn 15 year old has the coolest bike this family has ever owned.
4. That was a month ago. Then my father-in-law passed away and I ended up in the hospital in need of an emergency gall bladder removal. My suggestion is never ever pass a gall stone. Not cool.
5. So, my cousin with the farm calls me yesterday and suggests that Devin (my 15 year old) head up to the farm for a few nights and some riding with his cousin of the same age. Awesome. Poor kid has been busting for a ride for weeks. So, we gol the mighty KDX out of the shed after it sitting there for a month engage the choke and hope for the best. Second kick this beautiful machine fires right up. We let it warm up for a couple of minutes and then Devin packs in the sort of frenzied way only a 15 year old who has been through a lot lately and is heading to the farm to ride with his cousin can. Now I am on the lookout for a 200. What is are the differences between the 200 and 220?

Cheers
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: A little report

Post by diymirage »

nice to hear the KDX is lightening spirits

the 220 is geared more towards low end grunt where the 200 will rev higher

with the proper mods both bikes will be great and close to each other

where are you located?

I have a 200 (and soon a 220) for sale in MI

$1500 your pick or $2500 for the pair (sounds like you got enough young-uns ready to ride to buy both :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congrats on getting it going and him having a TON of fun on it. Good job to get it going for him.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Thanks Guys. My wife and I are heading up there tomorrow where I will be taking the 200 for a nice little driving Miss Daisy sort of backroad ride. Still recovring from the surgery so, the ride will be nothing like how Devin rides. He is getting way better than I am. Kinda ticks me off and makes me proud at the same time. He and his cousin are kind enough to pull over and wait for me when we ride together. Its kinda funny really. I like the scenery and the like the speed. We make it work because they are great kids who never push the old guy to go faster. diymirage, I am in Ottawa, Canada. The nation's capital. If there are any other members from the Ottawa area shoot me a message.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

shoot, in in Ottawa county, MI, sounds the same :grin:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Well we are just back from the farm and I didn't get a chance to take the 200 out for a little spin. Must be a sign of maturity because as bad as I wanted to ride my 51 year old conscience said " don't be stupid... You just had surgery if you fall at 5 miles an hour you could rip the operation to heck." So, I didn't ride. Stupid maturity. :grin: . My young lad and his cousin put on about 50 miles of riding over the last couple of days and the bike ran great. The only issue he had today was when he would shift from neutral to 1st the bike would stall out on him. I adjusted the clutch cable a bit and all was good in his KDX world again.

Question time. Is there a simple test or way to determine if the clutch cable is adjusted just right? remember I am not at all mechanical so, the more of a step by step answer the better.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

KDXhopeful wrote:
Question time. Is there a simple test or way to determine if the clutch cable is adjusted just right? remember I am not at all mechanical so, the more of a step by step answer the better.
There should be a nickels width, 2 to 3mm, of play .Image
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Cool. Thanks.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225