is there a forum post for taking the clutch side casing off

Got questions? We got answers....
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

is there a forum post for taking the clutch side casing off

Post by gabegambale »

hey im looking for help on how to take the clutch casing off of the motor I herd its fairly easy but I need torque specs on the bolts wheni put it back together
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: is there a forum post for taking the clutch side casing

Post by bufftester »

Removing the clutch cover just involves removing the bolts holding it on, after you have drained the oil. Torque for the bolts holding the cover on is 78 INCH-POUNDS (or about 6 ft-lbs). Lots of folks overtighten these for some reason. Why are you removing it? Anything beyond taking a look you're going to want the service manual handy.
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

I have to change the clutch housing gasket cause who ever had this before me used rtv for the clutch housing case and the water pump case ordered all the gaskets I needed they should be arriving today .........also just found out my water pump is frozen doesn't move freely
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

When you take that side off the KIPS shaft comes with it. You have to take off the cover at the top of the shaft but not the pawl gear. If you choose to take the gear off anyway, keep in mind the nut is left hand thread; you need to grab the shaft and don't let it turn when you loosen that nut. A little propane torch heat will soften the loc-tite that should be used on that nut.
The KIPS advance mechanism stays in the cover. Check out that little pin that engages the KIPS mechanism and make sure it is not bent from someone else jamming on that LH nut.
I found Aircraft Paint Remover to do a great job of cleaning off old gasket residue. Strong stuff!

Have fun!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

Got the case off the other day , my water pump gear looks kinda messed up