crank seals.

Got questions? We got answers....
Brandon B

crank seals.

Post by Brandon B »

hi guys, I just put new crank seals in a e series. and I filled up with oil and after riding its still pushing oil out of the crank case vent hose. any ideas. and its not over full I put 700ml of 20w/50
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: crank seals.

Post by royadams »

Try pulling a vacuum in the gear case. Sounds like you have either damaged the seal putting back together.or did not get a good seal on the case halves.
Brandon B

crank seals.

Post by Brandon B »

How do I pull a vacuum?
Brandon B

Post by Brandon B »

when I first replaced them I went on a 4 hour ride and it done great. no its like not all the power is there. I just replaced the reeds with 607 and its smoking really bad again. but I need to rejet. Im running a 160 main 48 pilot and needle on the 3rd clip air screw 1 1/2 turns out.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

You get a hand held vacuum pump and hook it to your vent line. Or you can pressure test the cylinder and see if air comes out the vent. What sealant did you use to put the cases back together.did you grease the seals well before you installed the crank.
Brandon B

Post by Brandon B »

I used Honda bond #4. and yes is did lube the seals
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I've heard of people putting castor oil, like maxima 927 mixed in with there trans oil to see if its burning it. It has a smell like race fuel. Is your vent hose running to the air box. If so I have to say you have a leak to your crank case to push fluid up that high. I've never used honda bond, I imagine its fuel resistant. And you let it dry over night before you started it.
Brandon B

Post by Brandon B »

yea i run benol same thing. but no my vent hose isn't ran to the airbox. but what I don't understand is now the bike wont rev out. its like when it gets to the powerband it just wont rev out.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

If the vent is ran down rather than up, it may be just be the gears throwing oil in the vent. As for the top end have you checked the powervalve. Many people break the pin while removing the left hand nut. I would rev it while looking at the linkage to see if is moving.
Brandon B

Post by Brandon B »

I took off the kips cover and the linkage moves in and out when you rev. so its not there it has to b in the carb cause its running really rich. and wont rev out
smoker

crank seals.

Post by smoker »

I think I have a same problem, is there any oil that isn't so easy to get through crank seals.....
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Brandon B wrote:I took off the kips cover and the linkage moves in and out when you rev. so its not there it has to b in the carb cause its running really rich. and wont rev out
check:
reeds
spark arrestor
oil level dropping

crank seals aren't a bad job, but it ducks if it isn't needed