Wheel size: 18 vs 19

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Just a random question. While fitting a spare set of tires on the new bike, I realized my rear wheel is a 19 (so I had to get a new rear tire). I found this a bit odd but thought nothing of it. Figured it was a Kawasaki thing. Maybe two weeks later while checking out specs online, I read that the kdx 200r came with size 18 wheels, but my kdx 200 Sr is unique in that they were the only kdxs that came with size 18 wheels.

So what is the difference between a size 18 and size 19 wheel? Why would kawasaki put 19s on the srs? Does it make for more controlled highway riding or something? Less torque but more high speed? I can't see how it would make a big difference, but I found it odd. Hopefully someone can explain the reasoning behind that.

Pardon any mistakes, painstakingly written from my phone.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Wheel size: 18 vs 19

Post by diymirage »

so your saying the SR came with a 19 incher stock ?
I know their line of dirtbike (like the kind you run on a track) have 19 inchers, I presume because of less rear tire flex

if you run your bike in the woods, on the trails, through dry creekbeds and what not an 18 incher will have a larger side wall and therefor less chance of pinching a tube
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You probably have a KX wheel. Many KX wheels will fit right on a KDX. KX wheels are 19 inch and KDX wheels tend to be 18 inch.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Wheel size: 18 vs 19

Post by Julien D »

At least a few of the SR model years came with a 19" rear wheel. Not sure if all of them did, though.