kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Re: kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Post by superman27e »

Update: I put the cover back on an hour ago because I was too mad to mess with it anymore last night and just threw a shift over it. Anyways, I put the cover back on and now there's WAY too much slack in the clutch cable. So I took the cover back off and noticed the "clutch pusher arm" was stuck in the bearing. So I loosened the clutch springs and it slid right out. So, tightened the springs back down, but not as tight as they were and not as they were when I first took them off the very first time. Now the cable has the right tension, but the bike rolls freely in and out of gear.

So, when the springs torqued down, there's too much slack in the cable and the clutch pusher arm gets stuck inside the bearing.

When the springs are loosened a little, the clutch cable attention is right, but it rolls freely in and out of gear.

I'm about ready to light the thing on fire. :/
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I am going back to your friction plate issue. I would find out why you broke plates getting the old ones off and why putting on the new ones was so difficult. If your basket is screwed up, your clutch will never work properly.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You've got other problems than the clutch springs. The proper torque on them is only like 6 lb-ft which is not a lot more than finger tight. Make sure your pushrod is not bent. It doesn't slide in and out of that bearing. It rides in the bearing and when you pull the lever the rod (still riding in the bearing) pushes the inner basket towards the motor which compresses the clutch springs, increases the distance between the steels and frictions, and disengages the driveline. Something is not assembled correctly or out of spec.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

If I took a video of me reinstalling it, could you tell me if I was doing something wrong? I'm still gonna order a new clutch basket either way.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I will try.

I have a clutch basket you can have for shipping. It doesnt have the gear, so you would need to remove the rivets from your old one and re-rivet this one on.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

That'd be awesome! I'll PM you in a bit about the clutch basket. I'm uploading a video of me installing the clutch, so I'll post in about an hour or so. I put the "coned shape disc springs" on facing opposite of each other, if that makes sense. But it seemed to not slip as much, but again, once it starts to hit the power band, it slips and the rpms jump.
superman27e

kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Post by superman27e »

Here's the video:

I tightened the springs all the down, obviously :P Just didn't show that part in the video.

http://youtu.be/4virscLfppg
Worm

Post by Worm »

I feel your pain. I went through this exact thing only a few days ago. Look for my topic in the kdx E series section. Trust me, you will figure it out!

Your video looks correct. Note I have a kdx 200 but it looks almost the same.

When you tighten the spring bolts up they do go fairly tight. 6nm torque or whatever the figure is for your bike might seem low but the bolts are pretty tight. I suspect the torque amount is purely so you dont strip bolts/thread and nothing to do with clutch movement. Anyway, when the clutch spring bolts are tight can you rotate the inner hub with your fingers? it should be all locked in. Having loose plates (can spin wheel freely in gear) when the springs are not tight is correct.

When you press the lever it pushes on the clutch pusher and releases the plates. If you are having a slipping clutch perhaps your clutch is adjusted to much so the plates are always slightly loose?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It looks like you have everything going in the right places. I dont use the judder (sp?) springs, so I dont know if those are going in correctly though.

I install the clutch differently then you. The way you put it together could cause a problem. Later on today let me see if I can find something that would explain it better. i am not sure that I could easily explain it in just words.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

What do you mean by judder springs?

Yea, if you could tell me how you install yours, and tell me how my way could cause a problem, would be awesome! I'm desperate! I wanna riiiiide :p
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I was rebuilding this engine today and just uploaded this video:

How I install my clutch

The judder springs are those two really big, thin washers you put on the hub.

I promise that this will be the last time I bring it up, but if your friction plates are that tight in the basket and can't move freely, then you are just wasting your time. Either you won't be able to expand the clutch pack properly or the springs won't be able to clamp it together properly.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, I know which springs you're referring to. Why don't you use them?

I watched the video, though. I made sure there was no space in between so the clutch would work properly. Still slips, though :/
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea, I'm just going to replace the clutch basket. I tried to pm you about yours, but it said I wasn't allowed to send pm's
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superman27e wrote:Ok, I know which springs you're referring to. Why don't you use them?
Can't with an autoclutch. But I never used them when I had a stock clutch either.
superman27e wrote:I watched the video, though. I made sure there was no space in between so the clutch would work properly. Still slips, though :/
See my last sentence - I promised I wouldn't bring it up again.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Send me a pm about your clutch basket :)
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I don't think I can receive messages, so just email me at hack27e@gmail.com
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you go to my Stuff for Sale page you can see what the basket looks like. It says $10 plus shipping, but you can have it for just shipping.

I have a really nice complete basket for sale, I just don't have pictures up yet.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

How much for the complete basket?

Man, I wish those 250F plastics would fit my bike. That's a steal!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I have updated that page with pictures and a price.

What exactly is it about your current set-up that is making the frictions so difficult to get on and off? Is something bent? Is there one spot where every friction hangs up on? Are you absolutely sure you have the right frictions?

If it were me, I would try to determine exactly what is causing the problem before taking the next step.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Well my wife said the fingers on the basket looked like they were bent in a little. But I didn't see it. It seems like it's hard to get them between every finger. Not just 1 or 2.