kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Re: kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Post by superman27e »

I'll for sure get that clutch basket from you. The one with the gears already there. I get paid next Friday, but if you sell it before then, that's fine. Buuuut, if you hold it until then, I sure wouldn't hate you for it. :P

Oh, if you ever sell any plastics, tank, ect, let me know. I need new plastics and stuff.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If it works out, remind me and I will look through all the KDX fibers and pick-out 8 of the thickest ones I have and throw those in. That way you have something that fits in case your current frictions are the problem.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

10-4, buddy. :)
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I wonder if I could file the sides of the finger down on the friction plates just enough to actually fit. Would that cause any problems you think?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you think the basket is damaged, then I would file that. Really nothing to loose except some time. No point in altering your new friction plates and ruining them.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea, that's what I ended up doing :P So, I filed the basket finger and the friction plates were able to go on with minimal effort and I noticed a huge difference. But, it still slips more times than not. But I did ride a good while without any slippage, then it'd slip, then it'd be ok, then slip again. Was nice to feel the power again, even if it was or only a for a little bit :P

So, we still agreeing it's the basket? What about the springs? Think it could be worn springs? I have some new ones, but only tried it once.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Sure seems like freeing up the frictions is a step in the right direction.

Since you already have the new springs, I would definitely try those next.

You soaked the new frictions in oil first, correct?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yea, I soaked them. Well, I guess I'm gonna go try these springs. I'll let you know the results.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I tried the new springs and when I tightened them down all the way, the clutch pusher was too far in which made the cable way too slacky and I'm sure it was engaging the clutch. If I loosened the springs, there was still slack but not as much. And the clutch didn't pull all the way in. I didn't even start it and try to ride it, because I knew that wouldn't work. Smh
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I'm gonna get a smaller torque wrench tomorrow and torque the new springs down to spec just to make sure I'm getting the new springs where they need to be. Because they're a little longer and stiffer than the old ones.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I bought these recently:

I checked multiple sites and these were listed to fit the KDX. They were longer and had more coils. The problem was that the coils binded before the clutch could release completely.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

That's the same thing my wife said. As soon as I put them on she was swearing that they weren't going to work :p

So it has to be the basket again......I guess
Worm

Post by Worm »

You will be surprised how tight the clutch springs actually go. It's pretty tight. That won't be your problem.
The springs listed in the service manual for the 200cc say 37-39mm but I asked half a dozen eBay sellers of springs and ALL of them measured the stock they have at 35mm..... So springs have changed over the years.
Topgunint

kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Post by Topgunint »

Not sure whether your using a Recluse or not, but that clutch stack seems to be a bit short of the top of the basket.
Have you got the correct number in there?
The plates in mine come flush to the top of the basket.
There is eight plates in mine.
I recently bought a 220 in pieces and have been rebuilding it.
The washer between the basket and the hub, was not in the spare parts boxes i got with the bike, so I got another one.
All the fingers on the basket, had indents on the sides where the clutch plates wore little grooves in them.
I filed them all smooth and had no problem fitting in all the plates etc.
My trouble is, my basket has five springs, not four, so when I ordered another set from Parts Giant, I am one short.
Now I will have to buy a single one from Kawasaki, but it has to come from Japan.
Even the throttle cable on this bike is weird, it splits into two and one goes to the carby and the other to some mechanism on the engine breather.
I have'nt seen this mechanism on any picture of any 220 or 200 for that matter.
I had to order that cable from Japan too, and I was told it was the last one.
I was told it was a 2002, but I think it is a 1997, as it has a purple frame and the frame number is DX220B-400160, but I'm open to suggestions.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

From what I recall, the E-series motor uses a clutch with 5 springs. The H series changed to a 4 spring set-up.

Did they make an E-series 220? Are you sure you have a 220 and not a 200?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, so I just got a torque wrench and prayed the spring bolts down to 6.5 ft lbs. Not the clutch is engaged without me pulling it in. If I go to pull to clutch in, it just smack the hand grip with no resistance. Needless to say, I can put it in gear, and it rolls freelance. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. Everything is put together the way it should be and torque to spec...
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Went to check and make sure I had 8 friction plates on there ( I do ) and I heard a pop as I was trying to take the spring screws out and the damn clutch pusher shot out on the ground. I didn't even touch it, and it and the bearing just shot out. But I noticed it wasn't rolling freely in gear anymore. So I put the clutch pusher back on and the cover as well. I noticed the cable had good tension too, so I was thinking it was fixed some how.

Got on it and now it slips at half throttle. I hate this bike
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

It seems like that if I only screw the springs screws down just a little tight, it only slips a little bit, but it still slips. And if I torque it down the spec, the clutch is almost fully engaged and it slips like crazy.

Same thing with new springs.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superman27e wrote:Yea, that's what I ended up doing :P So, I filed the basket finger and the friction plates were able to go on with minimal effort and I noticed a huge difference.
Can you clarify minimal?

I went and got that KDX basket and an almost new YZ basket and put them facing up on the table. Once I lined up the frictions, they dropped right down and into place. Do yours go in that easily?

This isnt what you want to hear right now, but these clutches are pretty simple and it shouldnt be that difficult to getting it working correctly. Since your basket has been damaged, it makes me wonder if your hub and/or pressure plate has been damaged as well??

It goes against logic that the more you compress the clutch springs, the more the clutch slips.

I dont blame you on hating your bike right now. Has the clutch ever worked properly or did you bike it in this condition?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superman27e wrote:Went to check and make sure I had 8 friction plates on there ( I do ) and I heard a pop as I was trying to take the spring screws out and the damn clutch pusher shot out on the ground. I didn't even touch it, and it and the bearing just shot out. But I noticed it wasn't rolling freely in gear anymore.
Are you saying that when you removed the springs the bike stopped rolling freely in gear?