kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Re: kdx 220 fricton plates. trouble getting them on

Post by superman27e »

Dang, that'd be awesome if we were closer! I'm gonna try the old steels on there today and put the last friction plate in like with the others.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Three questions before you take anything apart.

Does your bike roll easily in gear with the clutch bolted on but with the cable/cover off?

In your second video where you are moving your clutch pack around in the basket. If you pull the hub and clutch pack out of the basket, are all the frictions solidly locked together? Or do they wiggle around? I am assuming you have the 4 bolts torqued to spec.

Then when you bolt the complete clutch to the engine and torque that nut to spec, are the frictions still locked together or is there any movement in them? Even the smallest amount matters.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Still rolls pretty freely in gear. And there's a small bit of up and down movement, but no side to side.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, put the old steel plates in and lined the last friction plate up with the others and it still does the same thing.

This: when I torque the springs screws down to spec, the clutch release lever has way too much play in it. It's like the clutch rod is already pushed in too far, and it's not making contact with the clutch rod. There for, it's rolling in gear. If I bring the spring screws out some, it makes contact with the rod, but still rolls freely in gear.

http://youtu.be/MtEVWd3oEm8
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What about the questions I asked above? I wouldnt worry about the slack in the cable right now. Not saying it isnt important, but it will correct itself once you find the source of the problem.

One more related to the others. Last time you started the bike, you said it just revved in first gear?

If you have it in first but remove the clutch pack/hub, what happens if you try to spin the transmission shaft by hand .
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

It'll spin a little bit, then catch and stop.

With the cable and cover off, it still spins freely.

Not sure what you mean by wiggle around. They can move up and down a small bit, but not side to side.

And for the 3rd question, still slight up and down movement. I have to push a little harder, but still slight up and down.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

superman27e wrote:It'll spin a little bit, then catch and stop.
Good, I was starting to think you had a transmission problem instead of a clutch problem.
superman27e wrote:
With the cable and cover off, it still spins freely.

Not sure what you mean by wiggle around. They can move up and down a small bit, but not side to side.

And for the 3rd question, still slight up and down movement. I have to push a little harder, but still slight up and down.
There is a problem in here somewhere. With the cable and cover off, the clutch should be fully locked up.

Let me use a picture to make sure we aren't referring to different things:

If you pull out your clutch stack like I have in this picture (my bolts aren't torqued down all the way though) with your bolts torqued, do any of your fibers or steels move - sideways, up and down, in and out?
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Yes, when it's not in the basket and just on the hub with spring screws torque down to spec, they move pretty freely. Almost like there's a missing plate, but there's not. I'm guessing it shouldn't do that? I took a video and it's uploading to YouTube now.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Here's the video

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Getting closer to figuring this out. Yup, nothing should be moving. That at least explains why it is slipping.

Are you sure that you've got your pressure plate and hub lining up correctly like I mentioned in my video? If you didn't have those synced up, that would account for the movement and why you have so much slack in your cable.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Ok, so those two things were not lined up. Lined them up and everything is super tight and not moving at all. But, now I can't get the Damn thing lined up on the gears on the transmission shaft :p Got the basket on there, but I've been trying for 30 mins two get the inner hub with plates and dc g on it, but it won't line up. Any tips on lining it up?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Do it the way I showed in my video and you will have it done in 6 minutes start to finish.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Finally got it in, but it still slips like crazy. Put new springs on it and the clutch was half engaged and slipped more. But the cable attention was fine
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

I also left the spring and spring seat out like others do, and I left the last friction the same as the others. I don't think that'd have anything to do with it, right?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I think I'm out of ideas.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

:/ Don't give up on me now, haha
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I really thought you had it fixed once you got the pressure plate and hub lined up.
superman27e

Post by superman27e »

Dude, me too. I had my hopes way up. I just knew that was it.

Could it be the springs? Maybe the old ones are just too old and the new ones just aren't the right ones? They seem to be a coil and a half taller, soooo?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ok, so those two things were not lined up. Lined them up and everything is super tight and not moving at all. But, now I can't get the Damn thing lined up on the gears on the transmission shaft :p Got the basket on there, but I've been trying for 30 mins two get the inner hub with plates and dc g on it, but it won't line up. Any tips on lining it up?superman27e

Do it the way I showed in my video and you will have it done in 6 minutes start to finish.2004 KX 200

Finally got it in, but it still slips like crazy. Put new springs on it and the clutch was half engaged and slipped more. But the cable attention was fine I also left the spring and spring seat out like others do, and I left the last friction the same as the others. I don't think that'd have anything to do with it, right?

Superman and Ted
Keep at it. You were almost there. Why leave the spring and spring seat out?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

KarlP wrote:Keep at it. You were almost there.
Maybe I am reading too much into this, but do you know what the issue is?