KDX build thread (with your help!)

Got questions? We got answers....
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

I just got a '99 kdx200 and it definitely needs some TLC. First on the agenda! The guy that sold it to me sucked to say the least. One of the things he said the carb was newly rebuilt and I even asked about how he did his jetting... Well the darn pilot jet is stripped and I can't get it out! And the left side number plate has a bolt with the nut broke free from the frame and I cant grab the nut.. Where do you guys buy the plastics from? Also, the whole lighting system has to be redone.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX build thread (with your help!)

Post by bufftester »

First, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

If the pilot is stripped there is very little you can do about it beyond replacing the carb body. Good news is last time I looked they weren't very expensive on ebay.
As for the bolt on the side plate, isit the one near the bottom or the one at the back which also holds the seat? If it is the seat bolt you can remove the rear fender and get access to the back side.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

the bolt on the left hand number plate is a weird one, doesn't have threads like you would expect at all
more like a 1/2 turn will run it on 3/4 of an inch
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Turns out it is a '96! Sucks but oh well it shouldn't be too different from the '99. Its not the seat bolt but the one that is oddly bigger than the other number plate bolts. Do you guys have a recommended bolt kit I could order that would suit the bike well? It has quiet a few bolts missing... I'll order a new carb if I can't get it out before the morning. Is there a better carb to run, or is the stock pretty good? Looks exactly like my 09 kx100 carb but bigger.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I had a stripped pilot jet in mine and in the process of removing it, it snapped in half. I took a small screw driver and VERY carefully tapped it inside the jet itself. Once it was seated I just unscrewed it out. I figured what did I have to lose, if it came out, great, if not, I still needed a carb body.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I was gonna say, if it's the head of the pilot, just use an EZ OUT to get it pulled out. If it's the threads that are stripped.....new carb.
The bolt/screw thingy that is stuck, you're gonna have to cut it or use an EZ out on that too. To replace it (OEM only I think) is replace the slide on clip thing with a slide on clip thing that has a metric thread sized nut in it and then use a standard bolt.
As for a bolt kit....I just bought a SPECBOLT 250 pc kit for $50 and a KX body kit for $15. They had that to me in a couple days (3 including the date of purchase I believe).
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

dude get the 150 kit or others they are on ebay I have not regretted it at all. I own multiple kawies and its worked for a kdx a bruteforce and kz and kx. Well worth the money and I gave a ton to a buddy who bought the klx. Engineers :mrgreen:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Got the bolt out of the number plate! Was able to work it out with a screw driver wedging between the frame and nut. 150 pc bolt kit on ebay? Sounds like a plan! And I believe its just the head of the pilot, I hope it hasn't damaged the threading in the carb body. I have it mostly taken apart. The guy said it had new V-force. New, yes. V-force, unlikely. They are plastic... Sounds OEM for the year? Will a newer plastics kit bolt right on? I plan on keeping the purple gas tank for a while but the radiator shrouds have got to go. The rear fender is cracked. Front finder is okay. I def want the headlight. I've pulled the electrical wiring out. Do you guys like the plug in OEM connectors. They seem low grade. I usually like the heat shrink crimps, they are a little more reliable IMO. Seat cover, will just about any larger seat cover work?

I have one concern too. When I pulled the flywheel cover off. There was this milky color liquid that came out. The radiators were full, the tranny oil was full (VIA sight glass), I could not see where it would have came out of the crankshaft but is that where it would have come from? Old gas? I put fresh oil into the tranny and laid the bike every which way to see if it would leak over there, but nothing! Should I do a bleed down test? Or should I just not worry about it until I see it happen again?

Where do you guys like to order gaskets from? Maybe a good brand name for me?
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

6 Riders wrote:I was gonna say, if it's the head of the pilot, just use an EZ OUT to get it pulled out. If it's the threads that are stripped.....new carb.
The bolt/screw thingy that is stuck, you're gonna have to cut it or use an EZ out on that too. To replace it (OEM only I think) is replace the slide on clip thing with a slide on clip thing that has a metric thread sized nut in it and then use a standard bolt.
As for a bolt kit....I just bought a SPECBOLT 250 pc kit for $50 and a KX body kit for $15. They had that to me in a couple days (3 including the date of purchase I believe).
I believe it is suppose to be a slide on clip where this was.
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Also, I am having trouble locating the jetting topic. Not sure why but I just cant seem to find it lol
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

check my sig :wink:
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Thanks! I was able to pull off the part of the carb that holds the jets using a torx bit (start bit). I seem to can't find that part listed in the OEM drawings lol I don't think it was intended to pull apart. I'ma take that part to work and see if I cant get the pilot pulled out. Even if it means destroying the pilot any further. Its ate up pretty bad and only getting worse as I try harder. I just ordered radiator shrouds, seat cover, bolt kit, springs for the exhaust (only had one and it was way worn out), back fender, igniton cover gasket, front tire tube, and that little bag that goes on the back finder.

Still need a light switch and front headlight. I was thinking of going aftermarket for the headlight but not sure which one to get and what the stock lighting stator can handle?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

yup, its called a jetblock and they even make a separate gasket for it, be sure to see if that one needs replacing

IMHO the best looking aftermarket light is the Chinese KLX rip off for about 40 dollars on ebay
the stock stator will put out a whopping 35 watts at peak power

there is a very good option of rewinding them though, cost about 15 dollars in parts, an hour or so in effort and will net you about 100 watt, depending on what gauge wire you use

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That side plate bolt is actually a Dzus fastener, not a true threaded bolt. Won't have much luck looking for a jet block itself, a full carb will be easier to source. As noted above if just the head of the jet is buggered you can use an extractor, otherwise new carb.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

You could try a left twist drill bit on the pilot jet. I had a bolt snap in the clutch basket and someone told me about left twist drill bits. He said 90% of the time he could get a bolt out using them. Sure enough, he did it for me and it came right out. Apparently the bit "catches" in the bolt and spins it out. I went right out and bought myself a set. Just go slow. Even if it doesn't get it out, you have a hole drilled for an easy out.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

thats basically what an extractor is, glad you were able to save the carb
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Dekon wrote:You could try a left twist drill bit on the pilot jet. I had a bolt snap in the clutch basket and someone told me about left twist drill bits. He said 90% of the time he could get a bolt out using them. Sure enough, he did it for me and it came right out. Apparently the bit "catches" in the bolt and spins it out. I went right out and bought myself a set. Just go slow. Even if it doesn't get it out, you have a hole drilled for an easy out.
EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! I was able to drill the hole out by accident using a left handed drill bit, then the extractor took it right out! The gasket was good on it so no worry!

Is that 35 watts idle? Or WOT? I may consider the rewind, I found the thread and looked over it. Looks easy enough. I still gotta get a fly wheel puller though. What jets would you guys suggest starting with? I had a 158 main and 48 pilot. Have any kit suggestions that worked for you guys?
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

I'm gonna end up rewinding my lighting stator anyway because the ufo tail fender came with a 21/5 watt bulb. Gonna get a high/low switch, and a high/low headlight. Think the headlight is gonna be 35/12 maybe? Either way it'll need it. UFO plastics look nice with it and a new seat cover. Anyone know where I can get the radiator guards? I am having a bit of an issue finding them. Found some on ebay but they were purple.. looking for green, black, white lol pretty much anything not purple. Seat cover looks great. Just gotta staple it down. Should I pre stretch it? Or just re staple if it gets loose?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

man that's too bad, I was going to tell you to send me a PM with your address so I could send the wire for the stator your way but then I read you didn't like the purple plastics

too bad man :snooty:

Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Haha the wire is on its way with what I hope is the last of my big orders. I have radiator guards but they aren't in the best shape and purple lol. They'll do till I get one of these ebay sellers to tell me they have them.

On the carb. It has four brass screw that holds the bowl on. Would it be okay to replace these with steel? The heads are about gone on mine and can easily put Allen key screws in it but would that be an okay idea with the alum body? Would there be too severe of a rust problem on top of wearing out the threaded holes in the carb.?