KDX build thread (with your help!)

Got questions? We got answers....
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

Got a green chain! Looks good. Having trouble getting the nut off of the flywheel. The nut is right handed meaning I have to turn it counter-clockwise right?

I gotta find a fly wheel holder locally. I have been trying to stick things in the rear wheel to help hold it, but the nut is on there tight!
Drussell

Re: KDX build thread (with your help!)

Post by Drussell »

Kind of disappointed in the trail tech switch! The cable is supper short and it comes straight off the bottom which is just an awful design. Thus the worst part of ordering things online.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

I use one of these to hold the flywheel

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-rubbe ... 69373.html
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

OiL wrench from wally world did the job!

I didn't take the mount that holds the coils on, off. Didn't see a reason too. Only thing I'm regretting now is not taking a picture to see which direction the coil was mounted lol I can't remember. I know which way I wound it but not if the solder joints are facing the motor of the fly wheel. I feel like it is the fly wheel though lol.

Bike is coming together nicely. Soon as I am done with the coil, only have to wire the entire bike and put it all back together then start on jetting. Anyone have a cheap source on hear shrink?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

harbor freight has some decent shrink tubing in a package for like 2 bucks and you get assorted kinds. For what they want at advance and such here I usually can get like 5 packages for the same price of their one. Did the kdx with it and also the brute force and my ranger with them. Work pretty good but like anything harbor freight I usually keep on eye on it just to be sure but so far after a year no probs.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Drussell wrote: Anyone have a cheap source on hear shrink?
Fry's, if there is one near you, I guess you could always have it shipped to. It's about 1.49 for 2', depending on size (diameter). Just about any color that you could want also.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Drussell

Post by Drussell »

I got the coil rewound and put back on the bike. I am wanting to seal the coil first before putting the flywheel on. Pretty sure the fly wheel clears the coil from what I could see. Couldn't feel it scrubbing it either.

What kind of glue or epoxy would you use for a light coat?

Do you guys have any pictures of your custom wiring jobs? Just trying to get some ideas on the connectors, tie down spots, etc..

Close to having what I have had in mind for the bike!