going full retard !!

Got questions? We got answers....
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

going full retard !!

Post by gabegambale »

ok so I bought a bike from a junkyard for 200, asshole who had the bike went full retard n rtv'd the clutch housing n the water pump housing, when I say housing I mean the whole case stator side of motor fine hasn't even been separated yet from what I can see anyway ,heres the question im going to separate all this bullshit and just put the gasket in it butt, im probably going to go full retard myself and just do anything that doesn't look right sooooo

where can I find a rebuild kit for a 1997 kdx 200 ,fyi my carb is fine,boyessen rad reeds clean as a whistle,or the cheapest route I should probably take with this and no coasting it into the junkyard n walking away is not an option
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: going full retard !!

Post by Julien D »

Rebuild kit? Not sure what you need here. Obviously you will need a full gasket set. That should run you 60 bucks or so. You'll want to get the engine torn down so you can check the top end and the rod, crank, and bearings to determine what parts you will need. A service manual is going to be a must have as well. You can get the cyclepedia version for about 20 bucks via the link on our home page.

Good luck! Never go full retard!

:)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Do a leak down test first, will give you a good idea of the condition of the motor (top end and crank seals) If that is good just pull the clutch side covers, remove the RTV and replace with the gasket. A good inspection of the water pump seal, clutch basket condition, KIPS governor and shaft should all be done while it's open. Barring anything obvious I'd put it back together and go from there.
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

from what I can see from taking the clutch cover off the clutch itself looks clean and surprisingly good ,who ever had this before me must have taken all this off the kips governor casing is sprayed crappy chrome color evidently this guy loves rustolium too.cause the water pump housing is also crappy chrome.so with that being said im ordering the full gasket kit
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If it were me and my $200 junkyard score, the whole thing would be torn down straight away. No need to test anything until it's gone through and put back together. There's certainly at least one reason it was sitting in a junkyard. Probably a few....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Julien D wrote:If it were me and my $200 junkyard score, the whole thing would be torn down straight away. No need to test anything until it's gone through and put back together. There's certainly at least one reason it was sitting in a junkyard. Probably a few....

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
+1

I started with a $200 CL special. Before I did anything, I made sure it ran. It did, I broke it down to the frame and rebuilt it from there. Huge peace of mind doing it this way.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

going full retard !!

Post by ICRage42 »

ok I didn't get a 200 deal but I got mine for 650 and it still needed a ton.

I got it to run and from there just tore it all down as well. These bikes are extremely easy to work on compared to others. Parts aren't really going to kill you. It might make ya wait till fall to get it squared away or hell even after winter. In the end it will be worth it and you can upgrade from there.

I as well got some donations from kind members here and put about another 1400 into it lol. I wouldn't sell my bike for the world. Riding a bike that still needs a bunch of stuff is just wrong. Especially a kdx. Replace the parts and it will last you a good while.

That and your confidence level increases and helps to be a better rider. Your not worrying about something failing and you concentrate on your form or speed or whatever.

Hell Im surprised you found one in the junkyard. I frequently visit about 14 of them around me and also 3 jy's with nothing but motorcycles and I have never seen an h series in the yard or any for that matter. I did find one I do believe a 88 kdx and said oh man that must be in bad shape ....two weeks later someone bought it.

As far as the paint goes hell its great to be different. Just notice some of the builds here I don't think any of us have really done something the same as far as decorating the bike. To each his own. Paint em the color you want.

Honestly your thread has a bad touch to it. Just the term retarded. I had a mentally handicapped uncle and he was slow but his step dad put his head through a block wall and well he was really out of it after that. When you have someone that is that way its always mentally handicapped to you because of love. With the word retarded that's for people that cant time a car or bike. For those that just cant get right and theres nothing wrong with them .....with the interwebs new slang is WEETODDED. Just a little respect and also for kdxrider.net because there is forum trolls dedicated to nothing but exploiting the fact you made a "retard" comment. Its just easier not to deal with something at all and also easier on the web admin and moderators.

Buy the manual, get it done right......if stuck ask us here someone will answer. Get it done and crack that throttle with the rest of us.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The "you went full retard" thing is from the movie Tropic Thunder in a conversation between Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr., btw. Downey playing a black dude was absolutely hilarious. While I do agree with the general use of term as being wrong and offensive, I'm sure no offense was intended here. That movie was worth a watch, if you haven't seen it.
gabegambale
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by gabegambale »

sorry icrage I didn't mean anything by it or have any intention on mocking anyones state of mind the comment was from the movie tropic thunder as julienD has explained ,ive set a goal for this build by at least November an so far ive noticed one thing kdx bikes are def built to last never have I ever scene the comment ticking time bomb .lol....but ive have been tryn to make a donation to this site just never get around to it I like buyn kdx parts to much lol
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

oh no worries I really don't take offensive to it really I mean you didn't even intend to come off that way. Ive just had to deal with the people that do to an extreme I mean literally this is where facebook is golden they left to go there. :lol:

Ive yet to watch that whole movie but the parts I did see someone said that's not a black guy Im like what? Hahahaha watched a bit of it again and was like omg it is Robert Downy Jr. :blink:

No worries Gabe
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

What do you mean, you people? Greatness. :grin: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxs0Qh72kY
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

ICRage42 wrote: Ive yet to watch that whole movie but the parts I did see someone said that's not a black guy Im like what? Hahahaha watched a bit of it again and was like omg it is Robert Downy Jr. :blink:

Right?! lol