Best Aftermarket Exhaust

Got questions? We got answers....
Drmiller98

Best Aftermarket Exhaust

Post by Drmiller98 »

I have a 2003 kdx220 and I'm looking into an aftermarket exhaust system. I'm already pretty set on the fmf gnarly woods because I like that it's supposed to give more low end torque, and that's perfect for the trails I'll be riding. But I want to know which silencer would be the best. Which fmf silenced would be the best to increase low end torque? Thanks :partyman: :supz: :butthead:
"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life.” Marco Simoncelli
Brom32

Re: Best Aftermarket Exhaust

Post by Brom32 »

Silencers for the kdx ONLY help in weight loss and how your bike sounds. I have heard that they help in responsiveness but not very much
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You want a spark arrestor also so the Q is likely what you want. Short/loud=high end. The stock silencer is great, and requires no repacking.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

An aftermarket silencer will help you shed a few pounds, but likely you'll end up being a touch louder and have another item of maintenance for repacking. There are nearly zero performance gains to be made with the silencer. As Fuzzy said, spark arrestor is more important especially if you ever end up on state or federal land.
Drmiller98

Post by Drmiller98 »

fuzzy wrote:You want a spark arrestor also so the Q is likely what you want. Short/loud=high end. The stock silencer is great, and requires no repacking.
I don't really want a spark arrested because I ride on my own land and therefore it's not really needed. That being said, would a powercore 2 shorty be fine?
"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life.” Marco Simoncelli
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, a Powercore will be fine, and loud :grin:
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Has anyone ever weighed the stock expansion chamber vs an FMF?
Drmiller98

Post by Drmiller98 »

Bitteeinit wrote:Has anyone ever weighed the stock expansion chamber vs an FMF?
It depends which fmf because they all do different things, taking headers. But from what I understand all silencers are basically the same except for looks and sound
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Different length will affect the power.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I understand that, I meant in terms of weight reduction. Apparently the stock expansion chamber is double-walled, so quite heavy? I know an FMF will increase power, but does it also significantly reduce weight as well? For example, is an FMF only 1 pound lighter or is it 8-10lbs lighter? Just curious.
Drmiller98

Post by Drmiller98 »

I'm not sure as of now but I will be ordering the fmf gnarly woods and I may be albe to let you know once I get it
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Great. Yeah I'd be curious as to what the stock vs FMF weight difference is. Just pop them on a bathroom scale! :-D
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

As far as weight difference, someone may have already weighed it in an older thread. I have read 5 pounds, but that may have just been someone talking instead of reporting data.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Loud silencer = less low end. Likely not a terrible difference from stock.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

I can weigh the stock one if someone else has the weight of the fmf or power core pipes/ silencers
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

for $hits and giggles, tomorrow I will weigh the factory 220 pipe vs fmf gnarly (huge difference just by feel), and the factory 220 silencer vs FMF sparky. I have 2 different scales, and I will weigh them against my weight and by themselves for control.

I'm almost sure the pipe difference is greater than the silencer difference. we'll see.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Drmiller98

Post by Drmiller98 »

newbbewb wrote:for $hits and giggles, tomorrow I will weigh the factory 220 pipe vs fmf gnarly (huge difference just by feel), and the factory 220 silencer vs FMF sparky. I have 2 different scales, and I will weigh them against my weight and by themselves for control.

I'm almost sure the pipe difference is greater than the silencer difference. we'll see.
Thanks a lot dude, I would but the gnarly hasn't shipped yet
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

newbbewb wrote:for $hits and giggles, tomorrow I will weigh the factory 220 pipe vs fmf gnarly (huge difference just by feel), and the factory 220 silencer vs FMF sparky. I have 2 different scales, and I will weigh them against my weight and by themselves for control.

Cool !
adam728
Supporting Member

Best Aftermarket Exhaust

Post by adam728 »

Stock vs FMF rev
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9150
Dr. Green wrote:I just put a FMF Rev Pipe AKA Desert Pipe on my KDX 200. I was out here a few days ago and did a search for "Weight of stock pipe" and got nothing. Kind of surprised me, because I have a hard time believing no one else would want to know this info. So here it is, on my scale:

Stock Pipe is 8.6lbs.
FMF REV Pipe is 5.4lbs.
Difference of 3.2lbs.

I was going to weight the stock silencer, but got too anxious once the FMF Pipe was on. My bad. But I will say it felt very heavy! If I take it off again I will weight it and post it here.

Long ago I bought a KDX220 brand new and put an FMF rev pipe and TurbineCore II silencer on it. I just searched and found where I claimed on the highly accurate bathroom-scale test the stock system was 18 lbs, the FMF setup was 11 lbs. I seem to recall on my first KDX a similar ~7 lb loss going all ProCircuit on that bike.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

adam728 wrote:Stock vs FMF rev
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9150
Dr. Green wrote:I just put a FMF Rev Pipe AKA Desert Pipe on my KDX 200. I was out here a few days ago and did a search for "Weight of stock pipe" and got nothing. Kind of surprised me, because I have a hard time believing no one else would want to know this info. So here it is, on my scale:

Stock Pipe is 8.6lbs.
FMF REV Pipe is 5.4lbs.
Difference of 3.2lbs.

I was going to weight the stock silencer, but got too anxious once the FMF Pipe was on. My bad. But I will say it felt very heavy! If I take it off again I will weight it and post it here.

Long ago I bought a KDX220 brand new and put an FMF rev pipe and TurbineCore II silencer on it. I just searched and found where I claimed on the highly accurate bathroom-scale test the stock system was 18 lbs, the FMF setup was 11 lbs. I seem to recall on my first KDX a similar ~7 lb loss going all ProCircuit on that bike.

Good information!

Anyone taken a dB sound Chuck with both?