E-series engine number/year?

Got questions? We got answers....
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Does anyone have any insight on how to determine the year of an E-series engine by the engine number? I'm asking because there were some changes made to the inner clutch cover in '91. My '89 has an engine number of 0015XX, and I have an opportunity to get a inner clutch cover from an engine with the number 0053XX. The guy thinks it was from a '94 but he isn't sure. I'm actually looking for an inner cover from the '91-'94 KDX. I understand that the engine numbers are sequential, so does anyone know if this 0053XX number would fall into the '91+ range?
Thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: E-series engine number/year?

Post by Julien D »

As far as I know the only difference is in the water pump assembly, and the earlier model can be made to match the later model simply by replacing the 1 piece water pump impeller seal with the later 2 piece seal.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I've been looking into this very issue for a while and I think there is more to it than that. The inner clutch cover has a different part number between the years and I think there is some dimensional difference in the area of the water pump shaft accommodate the different seal design. The shoulder on the early and late water pump shafts is slightly different which makes me think that the bearing is in a slightly different location between the early and late covers.
Now I've only come to these conclusions based on part diagrams and numbers, comparing pictures, and what other folks here have told me, not through personal experience. I'm having trouble with coolant leaking into my gearbox through the water pump seal and I'd like to assemble the later setup since it has an improved seal design. At least I assume it's an improvement since it was changed.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The beginning engine number for 1990 - 1994 is DX200EE006001, so that part is from a 1989 model also.

The Kawasaki Model Identification Guide is where I look for frame numbers, engine numbers, international models, etc.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Thanks. I figured that there was a good chance that more than 5,000 KDXs were sold prior to '91 but it was worth a shot.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's highly possible. If it makes you feel any better, I replaced the leaky seal in my 89 with the later 2 part seal and have not had any further issues out of it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Julien D, I'm having a bit of trouble ascertaining exactly what seal or combination of seals that I need. The parts fiche is kind of general. There's the seal listed as 92049D (circled in blue) and the 92049C (circled in red) with the legend ('91) attached to it.
The "D" seal is part# 92049-1366 and is what I used when I recently changed the seal. It's a very wide seal with two separate sealing lips. It didn't seal up properly because my shaft was scored. I've found another shaft in better condition but I'd like to use the best seal setup to avoid any future problems. I also ordered a "C" seal (part# 92045-1359) before I realized that it wasn't called for in the '89 that I have. It just looks like a conventional oil seal.
When you say "two-part" seal, do you mean that you installed both of these seals in your '89? I'm surprised that there's room for both of them in the clutch cover but that would be great if it works.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, those are the two parts I installed in place of the one seal in mine. It fit without any trouble. If you do a search here for "water pump seal", you should find other early E series owners that have done the same. :partyman:
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Excellent. Thanks very much.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Oh, one more thing. Since my manual is for an '89 it doesn't cover the second seal. Does it get installed with the "open" end facing out towards the impeller like the wide seal, or inwards toward the motor?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You would have to ask that. I can't honestly remember right off hand. I'm thinking the inner seal goes with the open side toward the impeller, as it's the oil seal, and the outer seal goes with the open side toward the engine, as it's the water seal. Make sense? I'll double check in a later manual and get back to you.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I see what you're saying but I think the "open" side of the seal usually faces the fluid that it's sealing against. I guess I could be wrong but all of the oil seals in the motor (kickstarter, shift shaft, output shaft, etc.) have the open side facing into the engine. My '89 manual has the open side of the wide seal facing the impeller, suggesting to me that it's biased towards sealing against the coolant, rather than the oil. This makes sense to me since the coolant is under pressure and therefore more likely to get past a seal. But I guess this is just semantics, really. :rolleyes:
Regardless, that would be great if you could check a later manual and let me know. Thanks a lot.