FMF pipe misunderstanding

Got questions? We got answers....
Dbrockman1972

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Hey, guys. 2001 220. 607 reeds, wiesco piston, modded airbox, everything else is stock.
Spent some time jetting my bike and now runs pretty much perfectly. It is the funnest, easiest to ride dirtbike I have ever owned. And I have owned a lot.
I am a bit confused on the whole FMF rev pipe thing. I have read many reports that some low end is lost, and mid-high was improved. Low end lost compared to stock? Or compared to a woods version? Or just doesnt boost low end performance as much as the woods version? I dont want to sacrifice one bit of the low end the bike has now. That is what makes this bike a blast to ride in the tight woods I spend most of my time in. I read the PC plat 2 is a better all around pipe. Stronger everywhere. And does the woods version make way more power in the low end and a little more top end than stock? I am older, slower and heavier than I was when I was a kid, so the easier the bike is to ride, the longer and faster I can ride.
I would like opinions on the three "ranges" compared to stock. low, mid, high. same, better worse, of any pipes you have tried. Thanks guys. I want to make an informed decision so I dont make a $220 mistake.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: FMF pipe misunderstanding

Post by Julien D »

You will not lose power anywhere moving away from the stock pipe. The REV is more like an all-around or woods pipe when bolted up to the 220, and is probably the most popular pipe for it.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I have a pc pipe on my 220, don't know which version it is. it had a dent in it so I installed a fmf torque pipe i had. The torque pipe is what i call linear, the power is really smooth not much hit till you hit the upper rpms. The pc pipe as far as I can tell is just as strong on the bottom and mid but has a harder hit when it comes on the pipe. i ride really tight trails 1st and snd gear stuff 13-49 gearing and i prefer the pc pipe. I used to have a 200 and tried both pipes on it, and preferred the fmf rev pipe, some call it the desert pipe on it. My bike has the air box lid removed, no head or carb mods, and I'm 55 I get along with it just fine. Hope this helps. Good luck
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Woods pipe on my 220,low end is like a tractor but the upper end falls flat,very flat! Retarding the timing a bit to get more heat in the pipe hence the stronger return wave has helped some in upper reaches.However if your truly running single track slow the woods pipe is ok.I too was thinking of installing the pc pipe.I have on on my kx and it focus's the power well in the range of typical mx riding.I know thats a differnt animal.One thing I do like better about pc is the fit is far superior to the fmf.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Pro-Circuit Platinum 2 is the only way to go on the 220 . Great pipe w/ Linier power.

FMF's are more popular as they spend more money on marketing ,,,,,, get the PC :grin:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I have a `modded` 220 & have both the FMF gnarly & Pro circuit platinum pipe... Here`s my moneys worth...

The pc pipe is much `fatter` in the expansion part than the FMF ..larger risk of damage in a fall..the power seem more linear but comes on stronger in the mid range & through to the top but still falls flat...just quicker compared to the FMF ...not ideal for technical single track or woods !

The FMF gnarly suits the 220 better...concentrating the power down low through to the mid again all 220s fall flat on top, with this pipe it holds out for longer & gives a much smoother power delivery throughout the whole rpm range..its a perfect woods pipe for the perfect woods bike...its not as bulbous as the pc & doesn't stick out as much so less risk of damage in a spill..

I decided to stick with my FMF but if I were ride a more open trail then I would run the PC & change the gearing.
Dbrockman1972

Post by Dbrockman1972 »

Thanks guys. I stopped by an old friends house that has a couple kdx's. One of his friends stopped by and had a PC platinum 2 with 10 hours on it. He no longer has his kdx, so he GAVE me the pipe, a perfect like new stock pipe, and a like new stock silencer! I think I may have been fighting jetting issues due to a partially clogged silencer. With the pc2 and a new stock silencer, this thing rips! Low end seems about the same or slightly better. The mid hit is much stronger, but not mx style, and has a bit more on top. Not much, but feels like some. And it totally changed the sound of the bike. If i would have paid for the pipe, I would be totally happy with the decision. Now time for suspension....
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128