Bearing Needle Fitment Issue - 1988 KDX 200

Got questions? We got answers....
davecoates

Post by davecoates »

I recently bought a KDX200 '88 model that was completely taken apart. Now I am trying to put the thing together and am little stuck on the swingarm assembly.

The bearing needle's are not fitted equally on both sides. The one is more recessed than the other, but I can for the LIFE of me not get the one in further. Are they supposed to be pressed in with a machine and how do I know how deep they need to go? I can't seem to get the swingarm part that goes through the engine case bolted in because it just doesn't fit which lead me to investigate and then I saw that the bearing seals depth are equal.

Love the site btw :) Nice work
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The bearings need to be centered enough so the seals will sit within the outer swingarm faces - as you noted, if the swingarm fits around the engine case you're good. What I usually use to press the outerbearing (in or out) is a socket that matches the outer diameter closely - don't ever use a hammer - use a press or a woodworking screw clamp or something similar. If the outer bearing begins to cock one way or the other, it will jam and get stuck...maybe that is what is happening to you. If so, it needs to be carefully pressed out and back in again after the swingarm bore surface has been checked, then cleaned of any bore surface-protrusions and lubricated with some grease to reduce the chance of it cocking in the bore again.

Worse case scenario; the outer bearing has deformed due to being cocked and then forced, if that happened you'll need to get another bearing.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
davecoates

Re: Bearing Needle Fitment Issue - 1988 KDX 200

Post by davecoates »

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. Is this a bad time to say I used a hammer to try and get it further in? :( :naughty: :doh:

I'll try get it out and refit it and as you say, worst case scenario..replace bearings.

Appreciate your time! Have a good one.
SDH

Post by SDH »

Damn Dave!

You beat me to it...
davecoates

Re: Bearing Needle Fitment Issue - 1988 KDX 200

Post by davecoates »

I went to a local bikeshop and asked them to push it in for me :) All it cost me was a bottle of beer :) (which I have yet to drop off) Took him like 30 seconds with the proper size vice.

Dave