Possible KIPs problem?

Got questions? We got answers....
superman27e

Possible KIPs problem?

Post by superman27e »

My bike seems to run fine, so just to check it out, as I was cleaning my bike, I unscrewed the little cap that cover the little actuator arm thing. From what I understand, around 6000 rpm, this little actuator arm thing is supposed to turn counter clockwise a bit.

It shows it in this video. However, mine doesn't open up this much at all. In fact, mine seems to turn clockwise? Only turns maybe 1/4 as much as the one in the video. Could this be a problem?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDJscFPMn4
What could be some symptoms of it not turning? Loss of power?
Adamnb1

Possible KIPs problem?

Post by Adamnb1 »

so you are saying when you rev it, it turns a bit clockwise, then when you release throttle it turns back that much counterclockwise? I'm not even sure that is really possible.. my best guess is that your kips components are full of deposits are you are just seeing it attempt to move. After the season I would open er up and give things a good cleaning if it were mine. Good time to do the rings, pin, pin bearings, clean the cylinder and check the rod bearings. In the meantime, depending on if it's stuck open or stuck close, you are missing out on some power either low or mid/top (depending on what pipe you have on)
superman27e

Re: Possible KIPs problem?

Post by superman27e »

Never clean them before. Not of any guides or videos?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Possible KIPs problem?

Post by KarlP »

Just to be clear - that video is NOT your bike and yours doesn't move like that. Yours moves as you described.

You can put a 10 mm nut driver on the nut in the center of the gear and see how it feels. You won't hurt anything. Don't use a rachet, be gentle with a nut driver.

To go through the whole KIPS system you will have to pull the cylinder.

The symptons of a stuck open valve are crappy running at low RPM, running good at upper RPM and a ring-ding-ding when you come off the throttle. Kind of old school 2-stroke
The symptons of a stuck closed valve are nice running at low RPM but won't rev out.

Yours is probably stuck somewhere in between, hence the nut driver suggestion
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Possible KIPs problem?

Post by scheckaet »

broken kips shaft actuator?
check newb thread for how to, especially if the head and cylinder have been removed by you or previous owners...support the shaft.