Sheared off shifter drum & need to new water pump seal

Got questions? We got answers....
Motorpsycho

Post by Motorpsycho »

Hey guys
I've done some searching but am not really finding the info I need.

This weekend I lost a master link on my fairly new to me 2001 KDX 200 and ended up shearing off the shifter drum just at the case. I was able to borrow a master link from a fellow rider and limp it out stuck in 1st gear. So now I have some work ahead of me. I've got the engine out and on the bench at the moment but have a couple of questions.

Shift Drum,
Will I need to split the cases to replace that? At the moment I am waiting on an impact wrench to get the clutch basket off (any tips on this?) but it looks like it should slide out once I get the clutch basket off. Has anyone done this and have any tips for me.

Water pump Seal,
Seems like this has been talked about a lot but I can not seem to find a write up about it. Does anyone have a link to share of a detailed tutorial the the pictures links have not been broken on?

Thanks!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Sheared off shifter drum & need to new water pump seal

Post by newbbewb »

sounds like you're going to be needing a service manual. It will make your life easier.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The shift shaft can be replaced without splitting the cases, goes in and out from the right side, but you will need to remove the clutch and some other bits. An impact wrench will make short work of removing the clutch hub nut (I use an old electric one I got from HF about 8 years ago and it works fine). Service manual is a must when you start doing work like this on your bike. The water pump seal goes together just like the drawing, good post here on what parts are needed.
Motorpsycho

Post by Motorpsycho »

Thanks Guys!
I have a manual and am on my way to get a impact wrench after work today.
I think I have all the parts i need ordered, hopefully it will make more sense when the parts arrive.

I'm just glad I don't have to split the cases. That will make everything a lot easier.

I'm going ahead and doing a top end while I have it apart.
Is there anything other usual suspects that I should replace while I have it on the bench?

By the way, I noticed you are both in washington state. I tend to frequent Tahuya, maybe one day we will cross trails

Cheers
Andrew
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I want to hit up tahuya on a bike so bad. Years ago I went there for some pathfinder wheelin action. super fun.

I'm trying to plan a capitol forest ride ride. would be cool to have some other kdx peeps there. maybe we can meet up.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm good for Tahuya or Capitol anytime! I was at Tahuya this Saturday, it's dry and the trails are real "marbly"....needs to rain a bit there to get the trails softened up.....

But, we should plan a ride/get together at either place this year.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I grew up riding Capitol Forest, and hit Tahuya often, always keep my eyes out for other green bikes on the trail :grin:
While you have the top end off give the KIPS a good cleaning/inspection. Also a good time to inspect your clutch basket for notching and wear. When the shift lever was sheared off did it catch any of the case on that side? Probably give your case saver on that side a good inspection as well. I have never lost a master link in 40+ years of riding, but I hear about it happening every now and then. We used to use rivet master links back in the day, and still do on my GSXR, but every now and then they fail too.
Motorpsycho

Post by Motorpsycho »

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I've got it apart and on the bench now. Giving it a good once over everywhere. Cleaned the kips last night and hopefully that will keep it good to go for a while.

I was at Tahuya Saturday as well. Sheared off the shift drum just getting off of the Tomy trail.

Once I get it back together i'll let you guys know when I am hitting the dirt again and maybe we can meet up.
It may be a week or two though as I am waiting on parts to arrive.