Accurate Chain Alignment

Got questions? We got answers....
2001KDX220R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Accurate Chain Alignment

Post by 2001KDX220R »

Riders,
I have seen on more that one bike (two 2001's) where the number of "clicker" positions on the chain adjustments cams is not accurate left to right. Once you get your chain adjusted to the correct tension, use a laser chain alignment tool to align the front to rear sprockets and you will find that your right cam will be one click different that your left for perfect chain alignment.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Re: Accurate Chain Alignment

Post by KarlP »

Interesting.

I've never noticed a problem using the snail adjusters.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
2001KDX220R
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Accurate Chain Alignment

Post by 2001KDX220R »

What the issue will be is that over time, you will begin to see side wear on the countershaft sprocket from the chain. I saw this on my own 2001 so I put my laser chain alignment tool on the rear sprocket. Turns out the chain was out of alignment just a bit. I corrected the alignment to perfect with the left and right adjusters one click different than each other. I checked another 2001, and it too had the same issue.
I totally recommend getting a laser chain alignment tool! An awesome tool to assure all your chains are in perfect alignment! I bought mine through Speedway Motors.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Accurate Chain Alignment

Post by scheckaet »

interesting, never heard of that problem before.
Can anyone else confirm what they found?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I have noticed that side wear on front sprockets on various bikes, not just KDX'es.
Makes sense to me. I was always happy enough with the snail adjusters or however the alignment was set. I've checked against the swingarm before with a tape, called it close enough.

I can sure see a strong possibility that the adjusters would be wrong. There is a lot going on between the front sprocket and rear sprocket - motor mounts, swingarm bearings, rear hub....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I also now have a laser adjuster (profi) but previous to that used a motion pro alignment tool (used a rod instead of a laser), and did find that my snail cams were almost 1 click off right to left. My fix then was to take a sharpie and number the adjuster detents to match the disparity. When I built my hybrid I thought "no snail cams, this has got to be better" with the kx slider blocks and marks stamped in the swingarm. Found that even going by those marks the alignment was slightly off. Not such a big deal on a dirt bike, but on my road bikes it mattered more given the speeds and higher hp values involved in the chain line. Upgraded from the motion pro to the profi laser, partly because its easier to see, and partly because I'm a tool whore! lol
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Accurate Chain Alignment

Post by pumpguy »

2001KDX220R wrote:What the issue will be is that over time, you will begin to see side wear on the countershaft sprocket from the chain. I saw this on my own 2001 so I put my laser chain alignment tool on the rear sprocket. Turns out the chain was out of alignment just a bit. I corrected the alignment to perfect with the left and right adjusters one click different than each other. I checked another 2001, and it too had the same issue.
I totally recommend getting a laser chain alignment tool! An awesome tool to assure all your chains are in perfect alignment! I bought mine through Speedway Motors.

Only problem is, this particular product has been discontinued.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

I would be interested to see someone with street tires check the alignment front to rear using the "string thing" method.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

the speedway item is discontinued, but profi makes one available on bike bandit.