Got questions? We got answers....
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Broken KickStarter, Cracked Engine Case HELP

Post by goodoboy »

Hello,

I have a 2001 KDX 220, still a newbie.

I feel so stupid!! I cracked the engine case and my kickstarter level will not return upwards unless I apply force. Bike want start.

What happen was: I stopped the bike to make a phone call home. Talked for about 15 min. The bike was in netural and I kicked started. It started fine and I gave in gas to roar the engine. NOT Realizing my right foot was still pressing down on the kickstarter level :oops: . My mind was probaly somewhere else and I applied so much pressure downward, the kickstarter level went directly into the engine case and the bike just turned off! I looked down to bring the kickstarter level out to start it back up and to my SUPRISE, the level was all the way down. DAMIT!!

The level want return unless I force it up. If I kick start it, it will not start. The engine case is cracked.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62s74o297zhp0 ... 201602.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cykhpz9bqelp5 ... 201625.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg0dbrs841fjb ... 201432.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m76mjd2x1pbd ... 201428.jpg

1. What did I damage
2. Why want it start
3. How can I get it back working.

I feel like an idot cause this could have been prevented if I was paying attention. :toimonster: :toimonster: :toimonster: :toimonster:

Thanks for the help
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Broken KickStarter, Cracked Engine Case HELP

Post by 6 Riders »

First thing you need to do is take the inner clutch cover off. This involves removing the pipe, draining the oil and water. Most likely you have broken the return spring, which then rotated and got into the clutch gear (lets' hope). If this is the case, then you need; Inner and Outer clutch covers, gaskets for those and the water pump (2), the return spring of course and parts to rebuild the water pump...this is bearing, and all 3 seals.

But before you do anything, get it taken apart and throw up some pictures.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

Thank you 6 Riders.

I have the service manual for the bike. Where does it describes taking off the clutch cover. I am not sure where this is located at.

Which pipe are you referring to? What about the crack case?

Thanks
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:First thing you need to do is take the inner clutch cover off. This involves removing the pipe, draining the oil and water. Most likely you have broken the return spring, which then rotated and got into the clutch gear (lets' hope). If this is the case, then you need; Inner and Outer clutch covers, gaskets for those and the water pump (2), the return spring of course and parts to rebuild the water pump...this is bearing, and all 3 seals.

Thank you,

So you think I can take this apart myself or mechanic? I have the service manual, just don't know which page to start looking at to remove the parts.

Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You should be able to do it your self. You have a manual, tools and time. Follow the water pump seal replacement in the manual, it should have enough detail to get the cover off...........Do NOT forget that the KiPS shaft nut is reversed threaded.
Gat the cover off and take some more pictures for us.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

any place where I can buy used or new clutch cover? Maybe ebay.
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

6 Riders wrote:First thing you need to do is take the inner clutch cover off. This involves removing the pipe, draining the oil and water. Most likely you have broken the return spring, which then rotated and got into the clutch gear (lets' hope). If this is the case, then you need; Inner and Outer clutch covers, gaskets for those and the water pump (2), the return spring of course and parts to rebuild the water pump...this is bearing, and all 3 seals.

Would a broken spring return keep it from starting? Or did I lose compression from the crack case.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Well, just when you think you've about seen it all.....
I just went out and ran my kickstarter through it's paces trying to figure this one out. Mine never makes contact with the case, so i am assuming that yours was installed with the lever clocked too far back. Judging from the pictures it would appear that your broken case made contact with your clutch basket (there's not a lot of space between them to start with). And since you now have a hole the pieces are probably rumbling around the bottom of the motor. Drain the oil and coolant. Read your manual sections about clutch replacement which should cover everything you need to do to get it apart. Not discounting the fact that you may also have kickstarter parts to deal with as well. Take lots of photos. I am going to guess that you will need both right engine cases (that will be tough finding) the requisite gaskets and seals, maybe have to clean up the clutch basket. Won't know what else until you get in there. Not sure how you forget that your foot is on the kickstarter...
goodoboy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by goodoboy »

bufftester wrote:Well, just when you think you've about seen it all.....
I just went out and ran my kickstarter through it's paces trying to figure this one out. Mine never makes contact with the case, so i am assuming that yours was installed with the lever clocked too far back. Judging from the pictures it would appear that your broken case made contact with your clutch basket (there's not a lot of space between them to start with). And since you now have a hole the pieces are probably rumbling around the bottom of the motor. Drain the oil and coolant. Read your manual sections about clutch replacement which should cover everything you need to do to get it apart. Not discounting the fact that you may also have kickstarter parts to deal with as well. Take lots of photos. I am going to guess that you will need both right engine cases (that will be tough finding) the requisite gaskets and seals, maybe have to clean up the clutch basket. Won't know what else until you get in there. Not sure how you forget that your foot is on the kickstarter...
Well, just when you think you've about seen it all.....
Yes, and I just paid for a top end. Man, I feel stupid.

Thanks for your help Its well appreciated. So the lever should not go back that far?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

goodoboy wrote:

Would a broken spring return keep it from starting? Or did I lose compression from the crack case.
The part of the case that you broke is just a cover, not actually part of the "case". I broke my kick starter return spring earlier this year, it most certainly kept me from starting the bike, but it was because the clutch basket could not turn with the spring wedged in there.
I hate to tell you this, but you are going to have to take it apart.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

On the bright sisde, you don't have to disturb the top end to take those cases off. You should not even have to remove the motor from the frame. Try to account for all the broken pieces of case so you can be sure none are hiding out in there.....
Why not try Fredette Racing? He may have those two case parts for you.

It looks like you might JB Weld the outer clutch cover
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

you can find those parts stuff on ebay all day long. thats small potatoes really, you probably don't see it that way though.

yard the right side apart... you need to know this stuff if you're going to be riding, eventually you'll have to maintain the bike. while this falls out of the category of routine maintenance, it's good experience. If you do it enough, you won't have to pay for anything except parts. an egg carton will help you be organized, and don't forget about keeping everything real clean. if you need any help, this wonderful site and it's helpful members will be there.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com