Normal amount of vibration?

Got questions? We got answers....
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Normal amount of vibration?

Post by Tedh98 »

I've got about 4 hours on my engine since I did a full rebuild. The crank install went without any issues.

Prior to the rebuild, my rear fender always bounced around at idle, like when I was warming it up. But I don't recall feeling much engine vibration through the frame, seat, pegs or bars.

Now after the rebuild, my rear fender bounces around like before, but I swear there is more vibration through the bars, seat, pegs, frame, etc.

So my question to you all is - how much do your engines vibrate? Like if you touch your frame, pegs or bars at idle, do you feel vibrations?

Thanks
Brom32

Re: Normal amount of vibration?

Post by Brom32 »

I can feel the vibrations if I a just walk up and touch it. If I am riding I don't notice any vibration. There will be a small amount but not much
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

I really don't have much vibration in mine. Sure I feel it some in the bars but it isn't much. Doesn't feel like a mini bike where its more like a hard tail Harley and you feel everything. No where close. I might get my front fender to jiggle a little bit while idling but nothing really noticeable. Sounds like maybe a mount bolt might of backed off? But sounds like you have something going on.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks guys. I ride standing up a lot and can feel vibrations in my feet. I know I never felt that before. Unfortunately all the mounts are tight, I've got something else going on.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

you mentioned the "crank install". Does that mean you replaced the crank? If so then obviously it is out of balance.
If not then maybe you unintentionally tweaked the crank when you installed it.
It's not easy but you can do a crude check of the flywheels with just the top end off. Check for roundness and side-to-side wobble.
If all else fails put shotgun pellets inside your handlebars to reduce the vibration at your hands.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

well that makes a bit of sense .....if crank isn't balanced then I guess you would feel a considerable amount in the footpegs. I might want to add that linkage bearing did give me some vibration down there. Hopefully its something that simple. I had a bad lower stem bearing bad and it gave the handlebar vibration. Yea bike feels smooth to me only real vibration is ripping it up hard. Otherwise it feels very comfortable.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I rebuilt the entire bottom end - rebuilt crank, bearings, seals.

The crank went in without any problems so I wasn't thinking that was the source. I was really hoping that the engine vibrated that much before the rebuild, but I was just paying particular attention to it since I rebuilt it.

There are a couple of things I want to check out before I start pulling the engine apart again.