2001 kdx220 trouble shootng

Got questions? We got answers....
francis

Post by francis »

Remove the engine from the KDX 220 and placed it on my workbench with a cylinder parallel to the workbench and the Oil & a little left over antifreeze drain from the water pump outlet hose. There wasn't much antifreeze because I drained it before removing the engine. But it seems all the gear oil drained through there. Is it because I rested the motor in that unnatural awkward position or is there a seal bad. I'm assuming the only place were gear oil can drain out is through the overflow?

Francis
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2001 kdx220 trouble shootng

Post by Postigo »

Hi, there is an oil seal, a bearing and a mechanical seal in the water pump shaft. If the engine is loosing oil through the wip hole or the water pump drain then you need to replace at least the seal and bearing. Hope this helps :supz:
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If you are saying that your gear oil drained out throught the water pump outlet you have a problem. If your waterpump seal is bad you would normally see your oil being grayish instead of black.
francis

Post by francis »

I First thought it was coming from the Cylinder exhaust exit because of the way I had rested it on the bench. Then thinking, oil shouldn't come out of there anyway. So I cleaned the bench spotless and rested the engine the same way, then wedged it an inch further and left it overnight. The next day it was obviously the oil drained from the water pump hose outlet.

So, am I correct thinking that no gear oil can exscape the gearbox except through the gear box breather, no matter which way the engine is tilted.

Francis
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yes, assuming all your seals are good.