My trip plan.....upper U.S. tour back home

Got questions? We got answers....
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

So ok heres the deal. I have a kdx wont sell it. However I want to buy another one but in another state. Washington state. I live in Ohio and my sister just got a house in Washington. Shes lived there for a while but Im visiting to help her out and wanted to hit a race out there for my next bday and also ride a kdx home northern route this time all the way home to Cleveland ohio.

The way I figured it is Ill do a piston and ring swap every so many miles and just take my time. Have fun.

Ive done this in a car and traveled the whole lower U.S. and went the rt 66 tour. Just amazing traveling and listening to some 50 and 60's music. A lot of fun. I cant really describe it in words.

Well I would like to do a tour of the northern states and what comes along the way.

So Im asking for a little help from some members here that might be able to help my journey. Been planning it for a while and just planned on buying a bike while there and doing said above. If anyone could help me in this adventure and yes Im a Nigerian prince and just need your social security number rofl. Common sense here just want to get out some more and enjoy the world again.

Thoughts and insults welcome :boogie: I know it sounds absurd but in all reality wouldn't you do it?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My trip plan.....upper U.S. tour back home

Post by 6 Riders »

I would love to do it and can help as much as possible. One thing that you should know though......KDXs here are running at a premium price right now and they are few and far between. Just food for thought.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

start out in MI and buy one of mine :lol:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well heres the deal.

I have multiple friends I have met online in Washington state and also my sister. I was going to stay with sister for a couple of weeks and help her with her place fixing it up a bit. Shes paying for my trip etc. Well I thought why not for my bday go out there help out and then pick up a kdx to ride and have fun with. Id visit a few others and thought about shipping it home to myself in pieces because I will want it too hahaha. I talked to a buddy of mine who works for the railroad and I almost can get it shipped with me across back to ohio offered free to me. The other option is to ride it home or sell it. To be honest I wouldn't want to get rid of the bike since it will remind me of the times in Washington and abroad. I also thought about getting dropped off a little over half way and skip the boring states :lol:

I got a year and just curious if really I could take a scenic route and ride a kdx home and to have it plated and such. But I do believe it is easy to do in Washington? I know its not here in Ohio.

I dunno if Id visit ya DIY just because its Michigan. I had to go there a few times and my last memory was I was with a guy from work and we had to go to a sales conference and also work a store in ann harbor. Man the store was a rough crowd most of the time too and the sales meetings were a joke but alas to keep a job in college. We go to leave and we were heading back to Tiffin ohio when this black dude comes walking past our car and goes to the guy two cars in front of us and hes carrying a gun and starts hollering at the guy .....yea you like talking **** now get out your car mofo.....guy speeds off and dude is more pissed and walking back to his car with gun. My buddy a pure nerd. He weighs 110 wet and is scared to death. He doesn't know what to do but is looking at the guy. The black dude goes what are you looking at and he craps himself. I tell him just drive light is green and ignore him. I spent the next two and a half hours leaving Michigan with a window rolled down and a smell you wouldn't believe followed by a million sorrys and polka music. I did get to meet the motor city madman there mister Ted Nugent. I paid for parts some leds and he gave me an autograph. I was the only one in the store who knew who he was too.

But yea if your around I like to visit and run some local trails. Kinda the point too of the journey would like to document it real good and get some camping in and whatnot visit other kdx owners too would be cool.

I had a friend do a trip similar but he just back packed through some us and Canadian spots. Just hitch hiked and walked most of it. Camped at a lot of great sites and seen a ton of stuff. But it was interesting and have been thinking of this for a while now.

It would make a small vacation over the top. I watched that long way around and down movies and I wanted to do something of the same but just upper tour of us. Just not too sure of a kdx long distance might buy a different bike for the homeward bound. But I really want to hit some spots and ride in Washington for sure.
david

Post by david »

You want to ride 2500 miles on a KDX?! How much time do you have to do this? I bet it would take 2 weeks if you didn't have any break downs. It would take me 5-6 days to do it on my Vulcan if I still wanted to be able to walk at the end of the trip (200 miles and its time to get off for a few hours). Would I do it on my Vulcan? You bet! Would I do it on the KDX? No way in hell. But if you do, it WILL be a trip that you never forget that's for sure. You want a REAL challenge? Ride it off road the whole way. :supz: Kinda like when Mark Smith crossed the Darien Gap in '79 in a stock Jeep, 250 miles in a month. But you wouldn't have to hack through the jungle to do it. :mrgreen:
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

I think you would run into alot of headaches trying to get it street legal. It could be done, of course. A "cush" hub or "cush" sprocket on the bike would help alot, for both your comfort and the bike's engine for such a long road trip. I don't know for sure, but wouldn't a fresh weisco piston and rings make a 2,500 road trip? I know there have been many 2-stroke street bikes and scooters.

Hope you go through with this. Wish I was on your route, but I'm here in Pennsylvania.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

david wrote:You want a REAL challenge? Ride it off road the whole way. :supz: Kinda like when Mark Smith crossed the Darien Gap in '79 in a stock Jeep, 250 miles in a month. But you wouldn't have to hack through the jungle to do it. :mrgreen:

not sure what would be the bigger challenge, getting a KDX plated or running that distance off road :grin:

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Here in SW WA, there are a few that pop up, but don't really stick around.

A PREMIUM example of a kdx 220 like the 05-06 vintage was popping up on craigslist for $3200.

I JUST helped my buddy get into a 98 220 in good shape for $1400...although stock piston :neutral:

The common E series rat can be had for $800, but needs to be ripped down.

Street Legal:
Need title.
You have to be a WA state resident...register it to your sister
You need to get a kit like baja designs street legal....has to be DOT approved headlight and taillight, must have blinkers and plate light
You have to have proof that a persons licensed in the state of washington to install your kit, installed your kit. average charge is about $150
you then go down to state inspection, they inspect your bike
You then get your plates. they should have them at the licensing department, so no wait there.
Kinda a PITA, but it can be done. not sure if the street legal title you get for it will be recognized by ohio as street legal

There are several loopholes that can be utilized. Thats just what I heard :twisted:
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Plating a KDX here is easier than you would think. Buy a street kit from RMATV for $225, install, change the headlight to a dual filament socket (the bulb is already dual filament), take her to a local motorcycle shop, pay $100 (no more, the law states how much they can charge), get paperwork, pay fees, "here's your plate sir". Easy enough. I built my own harness, but I'd recommend the tusk kit as the cost really is almost the same.
You didn't state what part of WA your sis is in, but getting over the Cascades and then "down into" Montana would be the scariest part.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

A better idea if you're coming out would be to trailer your own bike out, and then spend your time going back stopping and riding across all the places. There are enough members on this forum you could just about ride every state on the way back with guys that know the local places...and then you could put names and faces to the online IDs. If I was doing it that's the way I'd go. We could even do some mini KDX rallies (Western WA there are a bunch of us here, OR there is a healthy contingent of KDX riders, E. WA there are a bunch, plus I ride that side a lot, Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas) That would be an awesome trip, and a chance to link up a bunch of forum members if there was lots of planning time.

Street riding a KDX back across the northern US would suck. The Interstates are 70mph, so you'd be a speedbump for a lot of trucks lol. Now, with plenty of planning you can ride all the way across WA, ID and MT on trails and dirt roads only, I know folks who have done each of the states, but you're looking at several weeks of riding and camping.

All that said, I'd rather take my own bike and ride rather than get a bike and find everything wrong with it on the long trip home.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

ive had my KDX on the highway
it will do 75 but looses all comfort at 50

I'd hate to admit it but buffys idea sounds a lot more sane....less fun but also a lot less hassle

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

6 Riders wrote:Plating a KDX here is easier than you would think. Buy a street kit from RMATV for $225, install, change the headlight to a dual filament socket (the bulb is already dual filament), take her to a local motorcycle shop, pay $100 (no more, the law states how much they can charge), get paperwork, pay fees, "here's your plate sir". Easy enough. I built my own harness, but I'd recommend the tusk kit as the cost really is almost the same.
You didn't state what part of WA your sis is in, but getting over the Cascades and then "down into" Montana would be the scariest part.
not trying to be an a$$hole, but have you ACTUALLY plated a kdx or xr600r or something that did NOT come with plates? the "easy enough" part makes me think you haven't. Again, not trying to be an a$$. My experience was that it's pretty much time, with money coming in second. All of my buddies(3) had the same issues, within the last 1 year.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Thanks for the responses so far guys this is helping shape up a plan better then I had hoped.

So heres the plan so far.

My sister is in Seattle btw. Shes some bigwig in the Navy but she retired but still does the same job. Shes a total navy brat and I like to call institutionalized. So Im guessing a week before we fight like usual. We are totally two different personalities. We still love each other but yea :blink: I don't get her at times rofl.

I also have a good friend I haven't heard from for a bit. A super cool guy and number three ranked sniper during the Vietnam war. Last time I talked to him he had throat cancer and I haven't heard much since and would like to visit. Kinda reminds me of a brock Sampson from venture brothers show. Then theres also a women that I just simply stalked in high school hahahaha. She wants to say hi as well. To be honest Id prolly clam up and stammer just like I was 14 again so don't know about that. That and shes dam near a super model now. I would like to hook up with you members there either for a ride or perhaps a beer or whatnot. A ride seems impossible, according to my sister it hasn't stopped raining since shes moved there.

I would then take the rest of the time travelling back and hitting the local trails and spots with people here. This is really a good idea since I wont be riding alone so much. Im planning on camping most of the time too but will hotel it if raining too bad. I looked about getting a gps installed onto the bike as well in case it gets stolen an such.

Im thinking of getting another ranger a simple 2wd 2.3 liter gas saver. Ill be able to haul bike with ease and equipment. Save a ton in gas. Those things are bullet proof beast. I have most of the gear already. My bike despite forks now is somewhat ready. I might just go ahead and do a replate and piston on it so no worrys while traveling.

I was also thinking of posting here along the way with pics and such. So as I progress if I get close to someone they can chime in and go for a ride or meal or whatever. If someone knows of some cool sites of interest also chime in and Ill go visit.

Anyone else here do some cross country kdx tours?

Im gonna check out some good bike gear and also some backpack options.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

have you checked adv rider? you'll probably get a ton of info.
AND PICS ARE A MUST!!!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

And the part about rain is wrong...she obviously didn't grow up here lol. Actually this year has been very dry. And even if it is raining on the West side,the east side of the state is almost always dry. Let me know if it ever happens, always up for a ride, a beer, and I have a spare room as well (I'm in Tacoma, about 30 miles south of Seattle).
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

who says you cant ride in the rain ?

I got caught in a thunderstorm one evening, 3 weeks ago
not even 8 at night and pitch black due to the clouds and the rain
couldn't see where I was going and the trails were slick as ice...definitely seat of your pants riding but some of the best fun ive had on two wheels in a while

any chance youll be passing through Connecticut?
I have a friend who grew up in MI but is marrying some fellow from there
the wedding is 2 weeks and I think the first weekend of august we are planning a road trip out there to visit her and I was planning on bringing at least one of the KDXs :grin:

I like the idea of buying a truck but if your going that route why not buy something like a trailduster?
(or if your a ferd guy, a bronco), knock out the rear seats and who cares if its raining, you can roll out a sleepingbag right in the truck
then you just need a hitch mount for the bike and yer golden

ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well the plan is shaping up pretty nicely. Looked at another truck yesterday and might just get it not sure. 88 I think 2.3 liter 14 in tire gas saver. I wont have to haul a trailer. Heres the kicker its an extended cab and twin stick 4x4. Dang thing is near mint and only 117 on it with no knocks or ticks. Does need ball joints and a few other parts but tranny and engine are sound. I can easily fix the rest and for around 500 into it can dam near make a good truck. With it being tho a 4x4 I am unsure of the gas mileage and will talk more to the guy about it. Might just get it for the trip.

All is set really with getting there so far I have a good trip planned my sister is happy Im also shooting out there.

So Im heading out a little before april. Visit some with sister and I also said hey I know where I can ride with some buds!!! The desert 100! :supz: If im correct that is around the time Ill be there and if I could Bufftester hook up with you and your family if you plan on going? I figured that would be a heck of a good ride for out in Washington.

So Ill need some tips from converting from clay to dirt hahahaha. Tire choices and prepping the bike for dirtier conditions. We really just have mud here when its dry for dust its just too dang hot to ride.

I have most of my camping gear and picked up a new tent. I am trying to figure out a good list for spare parts. Figured I would get like 4 no toil pre oiled filters and two tubes per tire and possibly some plugs and chain and sprockets. Gonna order all new bearings again and make sure Im all set with everything before I head out. Would hate to travel all that way and not be able to ride.

If I get the truck Ill post some pics of it.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I'm liking the Kenda Washougal tires so far, paid about $140 for the set on BikeBandit.com. Only complaint that I have is that the front tire will climb out of ruts and up side hills w/o you wanting in to. I'll probably be at the POKER RUN for the Dez, I don't think I want to pay to race again. Do a new O or X-Ring chain and steel sprocket set up, that will cover you for the whole trip. April is prime riding time for Tahuya and (I think) Olympia/Capitol Forest around here, but it WILL be wet.
It'd be sweet to set up a group ride for a day or two.....If we do, we can stage and camp at my club's property.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

that's what I have on the bike now. I really liked the one I bought with rear rim. Hooked up better here for the clay.

How much did you have to pay? Do you have to preregister or anything like that. Or pretty much just show up hand em money and ride?

I did see they have a poker run as well. Then I watched the last dt 100 and I wanna ride it. It looks like so much fun but Im down for anything really. You don't realize how much a pain in the rear it is anymore to find some good places to ride here. That or especially rutted out atv runs now.

Thanks for the advice 6riders. Puts some more thought to the plan. Whats really killing me is the tolls. Ive hooked up with my buddy yesterday and he has gone to all the Harley stores. Theres two that just opened he hasn't gone to but he knows some of the sites along the way I can check out and I have my other friend who has pretty good parks knowledge or been to a lot of them he hooked me up with a lot of camping options.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The D100 poker run is $40, the race is $60.....$5.00 gate fee for the whole weekend, including camping......The poker run is fun adn you can do as many loops as you like, as long as you start your last lap before 12(ish). The race is 2-50 mile laps of pure hell. Only about 30% of all the riders actually finish the whole 100 miles. The start line for the first wave is about 1 mile long (bikes side by side), the 2nd wave was about 3/4 of a mile long. One guy will do it in 3.25 hrs but he's a Pro, real people on 200cc bike finish the 2nd lap somewhere between 5.25 and 7.5 hrs. I spent a crap load of $$ last year, but I was towing a trailer and paying for 3 riders and a "tag a long", I don't think I can spend like that again next year. Consensus in my house is; Drive out Friday after work, ride the poker run on Saturday and go home. The race is just too much for the riders in my family.