Help with bike year/ID?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Help with bike year/ID?

Post by Bitteeinit »

Hey, hopefully you guys can help me out. I've recently begun to look for an old beat up 2-stroke as a play bike. My current enduro is simply not suited for the dirt biking I've been doing and my increasing skill level. I've seen a few bikes but then spotted a KDX, but I'm having trouble figuring out the year (no year is clearly printed on the frame). So far I'm guessing a 1994 KDX 200E (unavalable in North America) because of the decals, inverted forks and a few other clues. The frame says GX200G which I assume is the Japanese version of the KDX200E? However, I can't seem to find ANY pics of a KDX with the same colour decals.

It was significantly (well, not that much) heavier than the CR250 next to it, but ran much smoother powerband-wise. Seemed more forgiving to a 2-stroke newbie. Anyways, after reading up a lot on 2-strokes and KDX's, I'm thinking about picking this one up. Pricey considering how old and beat up it is, but the market for 2-strokes here is pretty slim. As in almost non-existant. I'm mostly looking for a lightweight bike for trail riding and the nimbleness and power of two-strokes seems like it would add a whole different dimension to riding. Only issue would be getting used to the lack of engine braking and the strong power (I've mostly ridden 250s before). It looks a bit low though, perhaps the suspension was lowered. It also comes with the suspension "guards" but they were temporarily removed. Either way, if I buy it I'd probably have to drain all the fluids and get a new top end. Tires are also done.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any info. I'll defer to the KDX experts.

Next to the slightly more brutal (and lighter) CR250:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Help with bike year/ID?

Post by diymirage »

of course that CR is lighter, half the body is missing :lol:

it looks like a 94 to me, but I only have E models so I could be wrong
it is interesting that it says SR on it, does it have oil injection ?
it looks like it was the dual sport model that was street legal

with the US models the 10 digit on the VIN is the year but im thinking you are not in the US

see if you can find a 17 digit VIN stamped on the steering head (might not be there though, there are a few different ways they did it in different countries)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Appears to be an SR based on...well, on the big "SR" decal lol. Also has the passenger pegs, side mounted ignition switch...although I thought the SRs had metal tanks, that appears to be an E model plastic one? Either way...bald tires, missing fork guards, gas cap would need to be addressed...it is in better shape than that CR
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

in the US, only 93-94 came with those blue USD forks. we in north america did not get the SR model. if it IS an sr, it should have oil injection, so you don't have to mix the gas/oil. the E series in the US ran from 89-94.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks for the quick replies. Oddly enough, I forgot to check if it had oil injection. Where is the oil reservoir on KDXs? Is it on the right side like with some later CRs or is it underneath the seat like with some other bikes? Looking at the pictures and going from memory, I can't remember seeing a reservoir. If it's under the seat then I'd have to check again. Are those fuel pumps prone to breaking? Not having to premix would be nice.
diymirage wrote:it looks like a 94 to me, but I only have E models so I could be wrong
it is interesting that it says SR on it, does it have oil injection ?
it looks like it was the dual sport model that was street legal

with the US models the 10 digit on the VIN is the year but im thinking you are not in the US

see if you can find a 17 digit VIN stamped on the steering head (might not be there though, there are a few different ways they did it in different countries)
I tried to take a pic but it didn't come out clear, and I didn't write it down... :?
This is stock, correct?

bufftester wrote:Appears to be an SR based on...well, on the big "SR" decal lol. Also has the passenger pegs, side mounted ignition switch...although I thought the SRs had metal tanks, that appears to be an E model plastic one? Either way...bald tires, missing fork guards, gas cap would need to be addressed...it is in better shape than that CR
Yeah it's a plastic tank. My friend also found it weird because the Japanese usually have more rules regarding metal tanks, blinkers etc. For some reason I remember it having blinkers but looking back at the pics, it looks like it only has front/rear lights. The gas cap isn't missing (you can see it in the picture from the right side), we just took it off for a bit to add fuel. The seller has the fork guards, he just took them off for some reason. Tires a bald but I have a set lying at home (around 95%, plus new sets are like 110$ here). I'll still use it as a bargaining chip though. I'd probably strip it down a bit though (well, get rid of the lights, passenger pegs etc).

newbbewb wrote:in the US, only 93-94 came with those blue USD forks. we in north america did not get the SR model. if it IS an sr, it should have oil injection, so you don't have to mix the gas/oil. the E series in the US ran from 89-94.
The forks are what I figured made it a 94. Could still be a 93 but from what I understand the bikes were identical until they made changes in 95. Correct? So any pre-95 service manual would be ok?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

There are small differences along the E series line. power valves changed, forks changed, early bikes had no voltage regulator. different countries get different bikes.

There are even differences in the OEM manual between EU, CA, and US regarding KIPS installation, errr..... lubrication. if it's an SR model I personally would get the SR manual just because of the change of having to fix your oil injection...

any pre-95 service manual will still be helpful at times
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What country are you in??

It is a KDX200, G series. Someone has taken off the blinkers, etc.? Someone swapped the tank?

Good luck.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Jason wrote:What country are you in??

It is a KDX200, G series. Someone has taken off the blinkers, etc.? Someone swapped the tank?

Good luck.

I think I still see the switch for the blinkers on the handlebars
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Ok well I went back today to check it out with a friend. Turns out it's indeed a 1994 bike, Japanese SR. It WAS a self-mixing bike the but owner took it out. :cry: So the oil reservoir (which was near the engine) and pump are gone. He also seems to have fitted a much larger carb (from a 250 I believe). The bike used to have blinkers but he removed them. The bike runs well overall but definitely needs some TLC. A lot of small stuff but the main ones are:
-It will need a new clutch (hopefully its just the plates... 6 plates shouldn't be too expensive). Shifting is a bit clunky.
-The front forks are leaking (thus super soft) so new seals and possibly (hopefully not) new springs. The rear shock appears ok but not sure about the nitro and coil.
Small stuff: front brake is shot and it needs a new sprocket/chain set. Most of this stuff is cheap here. Speedo is shot but I don't care. Having a light is very handy but I'm still thinking of removing it. Any ideas on the weight involved? Probably 2-3lbs?
Not sure about the top end. When I head back to Canada in 6 months I'll pick up a top-end and some other goodies.

I live in Cambodia. There's a lot of everything around here. Sand, mud, rocks... Obviously things differ greatly between the dry and rainy seasons. A lot of places are totally impassable during the rainy season. A few months back I did a trail through the jungle that was so brutal (huge rocks/climbs) I ended up having to leave the bike and walk 4 hours to the nearest village. It was literally a near death experience (stupid to go alone, I know...). I was totally dehydrated. It was extremely rocky terrain and I wasn't able to get my bike over a certain spot. My bike weighs 144KG and it very top-heavy so it drained me both physically and emotionally to keep lifting it up. After that experience I decided to try out super light bikes. The KDX seems versatile enough to meet most of my requirements. The only issue with 2-strokes will be to get used to carrying enough fuel. My old tank was 21L (never full) so it was never an issue. A few pictures of some roads/trails: