first pipe dent removal

Got questions? We got answers....
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

first pipe dent removal

Post by canamfan »

My bike had a pc pipe on it with a huge creased dent right over the pc pipe tag. I'd seen some you tube videos of pipe dent removal so I gave it a try. Got a expandable plug at the hardware store and some bolt in valve stems, like they use on truck wheels got a piece of 1.5 " inside diameter hevy duty hose at the parts store. Put the expandable plug in the big end, slid the hose over the small end and clamped it, found a plastic end cap that had a 1.5" outside diameter, drilled a hole through it for the valve stem, pushed it into the hose and clamped it, tight. Put 30 psi in the pipe and started heating the dent with a oxi-acytelene torch. Heated it bright red, let it cool, heated it, repeat, repeat. The dent was slowly coming out, then boom the plastic cap blew out like a rocket. Used two clamps and it held.Back up to 30 psi kept working and it came out nicely, wish I would have took some before and after pics. If I had it to do again, I would take off the pc plate, i pried it up to heat under it but it would have worked better if I took it off. If your considering doing this to your pipe, I would go for it. Make sure the plug is pointed away from you and don't get it too red hot or it could blow out. It really works. :boogie:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

first pipe dent removal

Post by scheckaet »

:partyman:
tirebiter

first pipe dent removal

Post by tirebiter »

I had the exact same dent in the same pipe, plugged it just like you did and put 30 psi in it and it blew just like yours did!
So, the 2nd time I put no extra air in it, just let the heat from the torch build up pressure- worked fine.
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: first pipe dent removal

Post by canamfan »

Yeah i wasn't thinking about the plug blowing out, more worried about melting thru and hot metal spewing on me. I started with 30psi but after it was hot it was around 45psi.
koshari

Post by koshari »

I found on my last pipe after a few repairs the pipe was bent a fair bit. As after every repair it was harder to refit. This became very evident when I finally replaced it woth a new pipe and that fitted up perfectly again.

my theory was each time you whack it hard enough to dent it you also marginally bend it a little out of shape.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

They do get bent, i was told by fmf to clamp the pipe in a vise by the mounting tab and then use a large wooden dowel or something that will fit snugly in the end of the pipe to tweak it back in shape.
jcm66

Post by jcm66 »

I fixed one with air pressure and heat that was smashed pretty good. 30# of air and heat it red hot, just never stop moving the torch. As a precaution I wrapped the plug with some heavy wire and looped it through the pipes ears for the springs. That kept the plug in place but I was still kind of nervous about burning a hole through it and getting hit in the face with hot metal. I was really bummed at the time because the pipe was only 2 weeks old. It's no longer pretty but its dent free.
Adamnb1

first pipe dent removal

Post by Adamnb1 »

I used the freezing method on my dented fmf and it worked pretty well