New to me toy.....cant decide what to do now?

Got questions? We got answers....
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Had a couple fork options for the kdx and either resold them or couldn't use them.

Traded a couple Chinese quads I had yesterday for a 98 klx 300r and now Im not sure of keeping the klx too? Perfect front end swap and looks uber easy. A lot of parts I can use too so it seems.

So heres the million dollar question......is it worth keeping. Its a four stroke and currently isn't running. Had a ton of work done on it and well either something was missed or something is terribly wrong or some idiot didn't do something right. My guess is visually it looked like someone didn't know what they were doing and I could luck out. Im not out much and could part it out and keep the front forks and still break even so that's not bad. If its something stupid whats the longevity of the klx?

My kdx will beat the snot out of this thing all day :supz: Ive seen videos and it seems these things are mopeds with a Kawasaki sound.

Right now my kdx is screaming for the front forks. I look like Ive been watching a tennis match looking at how well they would be on there.

I could flip the bike and make a good chunk of change as well.

So Need, Greed, or Speed. What would you do with a 98 klx 300?

Oh pic
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

If it were me,... personally I would have it taken apart already trying to diagnose it! Fix it and flip/keep it! Any details or guesstimates on what went wrong with it?

If you can manage to fix whatever is wrong with it, maybe just needs new valves and possibly a piston maybe they didn't time the valve closure / TDC when reassembling but what do I know about 4 strokes. I would attempt to swap the front ends of the two bikes and sell the KLX with your kKDX front end if that was possible...Awesome looking bike I bet it sounds good when it runs
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well heres what I gathered and heres what I can see.

Was told it was a new top end totally from the previous owner before him. He took it on a trade and mostly worked on quads. That right there told me a little bs was coming my way since most have a similar engine in the quad/bike. But the top end looks brand new. Now lets get to the orange gasket maker. Apparently its on the bottom of the carb bowl and also clutch cover. He told me it takes forever to start and will run fine but will eventually foul the plug. So someone threw money into a new top end. (yes could be timed wrong I agree there). Then someone took the carb off and tried messing with it apparently. So that could be fudged by them wrong. Air filter looked old and dirty somewhat. Does have a tear in it. Not a good sign but atleast its not a mouse nest this time.

I got the tank and plastics off. Was gonna get a manual and check the timing and clean the carb tank and fresh fluids or topped off etc. Once I get that done tomorrow I will try to get er running. The guy had his kid get the bike started it ran for a whole 2 seconds and yes it sounded fun and didn't have any horrible noises. Just died so something tells me carb issue really.

It needs linkage looked at but doesn't look all too bad. New wheel bearings and some maintenance and if I can straighten out the carb issue it wouldn't be a bad bike. Rear shock has seen better days. Ill know more tomorrow after I look at some more things.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New to me toy.....cant decide what to do now?

Post by bufftester »

Id swap the forks and part the rest out...Its and older 4T, maintenance is higher than a 2T, got the output of a TTR (no offense DIY lol) Spend the time and money on a different project
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

bufftester wrote:Id swap the forks and part the rest out...Its and older 4T, maintenance is higher than a 2T, got the output of a TTR (no offense DIY lol) Spend the time and money on a different project

hey, go pick on someone elses moped :lol:

would be nice to have a daily driver other then the KDX, something that would stay comfortable passed 50 MPH
but if it doesn't have the testicular fortitude to pop wheelies in 4th whats the point?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Swap the forks! Then get it running, ride it a little and SELL it.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well got er running today......Im calling her Gloria because of the purple frame color and timid temper to get started.

Gonna swap the front forks and raises another question. Will it be safe to resale this way?

Its a longer frame and heavier Id push my kdx all day then this trust me on this I had too.

Fastest moped ever and sounds cool. :lol: I get an erection faster thinking about the kdx then this thing has a chance of looking cool with the front wheel off the ground. For a 300 what a learner bike. BTW figured the problem bad chain and also incorrect shims for the valves .......measured at not tdc. Easy weasy fix. Everything is brand freakin new. Valves you name it new head jug.

This thing tho is a dog. That can go through any dog poo at low lug rpm. Its kinda embarrassing to show off the top end. If I was Jeff F. I would of drank hard liquor the night before and pissed in the tank the next day for an advantage.

So if there is anyone out there that swapped the forks onto a klx and sold it let me know. As for parting it out I just get forum whored out. I got a linkage one time and now all I say is just pay shipping :lol:

Might keep it for a learner bike for someone but if that doesn't happen will just take a low offer and make out on the deal. I paid approx. 200 bucks for the bike. Front end swap and whatever I make off of the rest is profit or spare bike or sale item. I get to go faster on the kdx......front forks are awesome btw no leaks too.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Fork swap on the way! :boogie:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I would: A) Sell KLX, pocket a nice profit; and B) Buy forks (eBay, perhaps?) to put on the KDX. I've got '02 KX125 forks (48mm.) on my '97 220 and I love 'em. I don't think those KLX forks are nearly as good as newer MX forks, BTW.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Flip it, then buy forks for kdx. If you consider your time and toil in parting it out (mess, peoples stupid questions, lack of kdx riding time due to said stupid questions, all the extra parts sitting around that you can't seem to throw out, nor sell) you can just buy the forks you want and be done with it. Some old man will pay top dollar for that. Not a bad bike at all, just heavy and slow, like the people that want them :wink:
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Well heres the thing I bought new in 06 two Chinese quads. One a 250 2wd and a 110 kids atv. Built them and redid a lot to them straight out of the crate and broke them in. Never had any problems with them cept small stupid stuff. Rode with the kiddo for years with em and I rode mine till the day I swapped it. Problem was I couldn't get anyone to buy them even tho they both were still fine. The whole Chinese debate thing. Anyways most were just interested in my old one and I didn't get an offer over 300. Which in my opinion was giving it away really. So when I seen this he went with the deal for the two quads. Both were sitting in a barn not doing anything but taking up space.

I swapped the forks onto mine already. Going to put my kdx ones on. Im an honest person and was going to post what it is and does and whats been takin in a craigslist ad and put it up for 4 500 bucks project bike. If someone wants to invest some time and money into it then fine. It does run but desperately needs the hotstart.

I really thought about it and I had money invested in my front tire/rim. I have a new rim spokes tube tire bearings hub for my front stocker. So with this swap I still get to use my new/old tire rim setup. Front forks are on my kdx now and I also got the headlight and wiring harness with too. Couple other parts like rear axle which mine is missing a couple teeth on the one side. So I got a lot of parts for the kdx and put my old on it. So I got a front fork swap saved using my front tire and reused my kdx caliper. Everything is there and I don't have to source out guards or clamps either too. Most Ill have to do is springs and seals aren't leaking either. Just need the dang torque specs but think I found em. Also just bought new front pads too.

Sadly I just tuned in my suspension really well and rode for like 5 days straight. Now Ill have to do it all over again. The bike is surrounded by two big salt fish tanks now. I had to help my brother move so I have no room in the garage.

I still have to hook up the light and also put a clamp on for the brake hose I have. I want to rob the klx brake lever since its new and DIY gave me one with a broken lever. I have to pop a cap off to hook up a trip meter I also got. So in all someone gets a good bike with some work. I got the parts I wanted and got to keep what I bought new too. So if you figure once I get a set of forks and the wheel rim and also bearings possibly a brake setup off of ebay. No light no wiring no trip meter or other goodies. I would have way more money spent. This way I get upgraded. I get ateast 500 for the quads and a set of forks with goodies I put at around atleast 200. So I get my original asking price for what I wanted in the first place. Which I thought was fair for the two older quads that run. The klx without any hopups is just a weak bike imo. Still fun but the kdx ruined it rofl.

I probably wont be able to ride for about a month now Im just crazy busy with work and house repairs and helping brother move. :rolleyes:
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

yea I think I put my decals up too far too. Aaaargh stupid hurry job but they look even. I think I should of placed them more to the middle. I think they still look ok. Reason I have it there is because I have other decals to put on and a front fender decal that does come up kinda far. Might just not look right without that on there. Opinions?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

looks good to me
my biggest pet peeve is getting both sides even

(this is why I always spray the bike and the back of the decal with soapy water so I can maneuver it about a bit before it settles)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike