Strange loss of trans oil

Got questions? We got answers....
vlxk98

Strange loss of trans oil

Post by vlxk98 »

I have been doing some MX riding this summer with my 95/200. A couple of weeks ago I did a bunch of work on right hand turns because I am weakest with those. I spent a couple of hours on the right hand corners of the track and then expanded into larger sections tying them together. I had two slow speed tump overs to the right during the day, nothing of any consequence as far as damage. I did notice some ragged running in the mid-range later in the day but I didn't try any airscrew adjustments to clear it up.

I get home and while cleaning the old gal up I notice the oil level in the sight glass, it was about half way up the glass where it is normally fully covered, I do almost a full quart fill. Since I have owned the bike, 2 years, I have used 10w40 Royal Purple because I have a supply. A couple of months ago I tried Type F to see if it made any difference, I coudn't tell any so I went back to the synthetic. I figured crank seals so I took a look at the flywheel side because it is easy and found no leakage there. Right away I am thinking case split for seals/bearings, might as well do at least rings etc. There wasn't enough time to get that done before this past Saturday's race so I decided to take a chance I could get one more race out of it before rebuild.

I made sure the transmission was full before practice and only did a few laps to see the way the track was shaping up. I rode two classes and checked the oil level after each moto, no trans oil loss whatsoever! I wonder if the two tumpovers were enough to suck some of the trans oil up through the vent hose? The air filter didn't have any evidence of a glob of extra oil on it, and I didn't notice any oil in the bottom of the air box either. I am perplexed at where the few ounces of oil may have gone.

Any of you guys ever seen something like this before?

PS. I did adjust the airscrew out about 1/2 turn after the first moto when the temperature warmed and the ragged running cleared up. I am about 2 turns out so I know the pilot circuit is a bit rich. I am running 155/45 I believe with FMF fatty and snorkle removed.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Strange loss of trans oil

Post by 6 Riders »

The oil should be at the 1/2 way mark when cold. When the bike is warmed up, it will fill the whole glass up. You haven't lost oil, it's just settled in the cases.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type