How much would you pay for this

Got questions? We got answers....
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

I have the chance to buy this 1997 kdx200 hopefully next week. Don't know much about it besides these pics. Anything I should ask the seller? He wants 1600. What is the most you would pay for this.
ImageImage
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Not enough info.

Could be in great shape, with a brand new top and bottom end, meticulous mechanical condition, and well worth $1600.

Or we could go -
It's a rat. Look how loose the chain is, sprockets are more than likely shot. Brake pads worn to the backer plate. Original engine with near zero compression, piss poor air filter maintenance so the lower end is about shot too, suspension fluids never changed, slipping clutch, clunky shifting, but the owner cared about looks and spent maintenance money on graphics instead. In that case it could be a $500 bike.
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

lol^^

Looks like a solid bike. Stock exhaust. Probably never rebuilt. Test suspension, run it through all the gears. Offer $1200 and see if you can get him in the middle at $1400
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Looks to be stock and fairly low hours. Asking price is probably reasonable. Without being able to check it out it's not possible to say, though.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: How much would you pay for this

Post by diymirage »

forkboot in the second picture looks wet so it most likely needs new seals

keep in mind most people ask for more then they want anyway so they are most likely willing to come down a bit anyway
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Gotanubike wrote:lol^^

Looks like a solid bike. Stock exhaust. Probably never rebuilt. Test suspension, run it through all the gears. Offer $1200 and see if you can get him in the middle at $1400
How would you test the suspension?
adam728 wrote:Not enough info.

Could be in great shape, with a brand new top and bottom end, meticulous mechanical condition, and well worth $1600.

Or we could go -
It's a rat. Look how loose the chain is, sprockets are more than likely shot. Brake pads worn to the backer plate. Original engine with near zero compression, piss poor air filter maintenance so the lower end is about shot too, suspension fluids never changed, slipping clutch, clunky shifting, but the owner cared about looks and spent maintenance money on graphics instead. In that case it could be a $500 bike.
Should I ask gim what he does for maintenance? I will look at it and see what ot looks like
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

ask him to remove the seat and see what the airfliter looks like
then see if the chain is dry

if those two things have been neglected (and the chain tension implies that) then you know he didn't do any other maintenance either

Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

3j3j3j wrote:
Gotanubike wrote:lol^^

How would you test the suspension?

Just bounce on it a bit. If the rear shock feels "springy" without any compression(cushiony), then be prepared to rebuild it

Check around the bottom of the front fork boots for oil which would mean oil seals are bad...
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

rear tire needs replacement soon, front looks decent. chain is pretty loose and likely stretched, sprockets look decent. leaky fork seal as mentioned before, its likely he's never done suspension / linkage / steering head maintenance. its also likely that brake fluid and antifreeze have never been changed and that the motor has never been apart for a rebuild. but judging on how it looks, most of that is just maintenance stuff that you could just change out. if it looked as if it was kept outside, then these could be bigger issues. best thing to do is see it in person and hear it / ride it. also check for any loose spokes, i doubt it'll be an issue but its good practice. Id offer him 1100
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Also, what is going on with that cable in the front?
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

In the first pic 'll
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

odometer cable

don't see those too often...seems to be the first thing to be taken off

newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

A good looking used example right there.

What are your plans for the bike? for $1600 you could be playing with a 220. Just sayin
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I would LIKE to pay $1000, simply because of the stock exhaust. I believe that $12-$1400 is reasonable, but your still factoring in exhaust, piston & rings and $250 in bearings.
Remember; In some areas KDXs demand top dollar, compared to other areas.
I bought my last one for $1100, did some maintenance on it ($400 worth) and have been riding it for the last year. It needs suspension bearings now, probably time for a top end (piston/rings). I was looking at two bikes at the same time, both on CL and both for $1100. First bike that I wanted went UP in price by the time I called, I told him to go F#$% himself. Second bike I bought, but only because it has a Cycle Title (compared to ORV Title). At $1100, I would be sitting at around $2000 to have a great bike, $1500 for a street-legal rider that won't break down on me.
I bought my 94 E series for $1200 five years ago (brand new/never ridden top end on it). Didn't do anything to it but replace what I wore out.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

No scrapes or dents on swingarm or pipe, total stocker in good condition for it's age IMO. Ride it, if the gears, clutch, brakes are all working well, you're probably looking at minor repairs, refurbishing. Frame wear from boots is minimal, look at the shifter, are the knurls really worn or barely worn...? If the shifter agrees with the looks, it's more than likely a very low time bike. I'd buy it if there's no piston slap (not to be confused with KIPS rattle) which indicates no dirt has gotten into the intake tract. You won't even need a new piston, rings etc...like you would with a stock 220. :hmm:

At that age the fork seals, fork oil need to be replaced no matter what- make sure you put in the right springs for your weight, grease up the swingarm and shock linkage bearings and go ride. :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

Looks like a 1000.00 dollar kdx to me .
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

As has been said before, area/part of the country plays a big role. You really have to look at what KDXs in your area have sold for before. While you might pay more than what you want or what other people have paid elsewhere, but it boils down to your local market.

If that bike was listed at $1100 in my area, it would be gone in minutes. Most bikes that look to be in that good of shape would go for $1600+ where I live.
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Thanks for the replies everyone he has to adjust the float before I come look at it
newbbewb wrote:A good looking used example right there.

What are your plans for the bike? for $1600 you could be playing with a 220. Just sayin
I have decided after reading through the 200 vs 220 threads, I think I would prefer the 200. Theres a 99 220 with lots of aftermarket goodies but it is out of my pricerange. And as I said before, I would prefer the 200
3j3j3j

Post by 3j3j3j »

Called today. His dad was the original owner. He hasn't ridden it in a few years. He also said he hasn't done any maintenance. Didn't think to ask what his dad had done. Going to look Wednesday and will check air filter, bearings, frame, engine and transmission, etc. He knew what fuel mixture he used in the bike. He also said there was an exhaust leak near the head. That's an easy fix and something I can use as a bargain