Newbie Where do I look ?

Got questions? We got answers....
MHH178

Newbie Where do I look ?

Post by MHH178 »

I'm new here,hopefully I'm posting in the proper area...I am trying to find answers as to why my 02 220 idles fine but when I shake the handle bars left and right ,or if the lean the bike slightly over the idle drops and engine will stall out? Yes ,I'm doing this while sitting on the bike not riding it ...Spark plug is black and wet and motor is stock no mods..Thanks
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Newbie Where do I look ?

Post by diymirage »

welcome aboard

sounds like an electrical problem
I would check the connection to the kill switch first
if that doesn't yield anything check the connection under the tank
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
MHH178

Post by MHH178 »

I'll check it out ..thank you
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Black and wet plug is rich, normal for a bone stock motor. Make sure all the electrical connections are good. Then go through and clean the carb real well, reset float height, run through the jetting guide. I would suspect wiring to the kill switch for the handlebar shake, carb for the tipping over. Was it running properly before and some work was done? or has it been that way as long as you have had it?
MHH178

Post by MHH178 »

I've owned the bike for 2 years,but have only used it a dozen times.I am hopefully going to have time to ride it this year..Prior rides it worked great ! it was just my riding that lacked performance..I have already cleaned the carb and checked the float height ( 17 mm ) ..last weekend after I noticed this problem.Still had the same problem yesterday.
I have not run through the jetting guide,however,I did read it ..I am going to check for an electrical issue tomorrow night if I get a chance to ;I think you guys are probably right ,Thanks for the direction
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

MHH178 wrote:I think you guys are probably right ,Thanks for the direction

we usually are :lol:

let us know what you find
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
MHH178

Post by MHH178 »

Hey Guy's I actually had a chance to check things out ; this is how it went ...removed seat,removed fuel tank ,checked kill button connections and followed it's harness looking for abrasions ,cracks ,everything looked fine ...I took the carb apart and double checked float height ( was with-in specs ) cleaned and blew it out ...all looked good.
Re-assembled carb and installed,installed fuel tank,hooked up fuel line , started first kick :grin: However,SAME problem ..turn bars left then right ( quickly multiple time's ) motor die's , lean it over and motor die's . So, I removed the tank .started bike ran fine ...I shooked the bars leaned it over and it still was running ..
Re-assembly everything and problems returns ...I looked for pinched wires,under the tanks , under the seat ,nothing ...all looks ok to me :? What else could cause this problem ..reed valve , bad crank seals ...?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

well if it works with the tank off but not on it's not reeds or crank seals.....leaves teh tank/petcock/fuel line. Have you drained the tank and checked the petcock/filter screen? Could be gunk down in there that partially blocks fuel when you move it around? Also make sure your fuel vent hose (on the gas cap) is not kinked/blocked
MHH178

Post by MHH178 »

I've done that ..petcock screens are clean,the only problem with the petcock is that when in the" fuel off position " ,it still drips fuel ( not related to my problem I'm guessing ) and I'm able to blow through the tank vent hose ( clear ) ...