Tough decision!! To keep my kdx200 or CRF450X

Got questions? We got answers....
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Thinking out loud hear! So for those of you that hadn't noticed, I go through bikes like nothing else, rebuild and sell over and over. But I've always kept my kdx200's as I've found they're cheap for what they are, and good for where I ride (tough hill climbs and the odd tight single trail)..

Now yesterday I picked up a 2007 CRF450X CHEAP. Needs brake pads and lower shock bearing is all. Has a trail tech cluster, stainless valves 150k's ago, new bearings and seals throughout apart from shock/linkage ones. Electric start etc... It just seems nice, loads of power, does awesome wheelies, better suspension..... But, I know know if I can give up the KDX. I'm worried that on a tough hot day I'll regret replacing the light and nimble KDX.

Has anyone went between a 450 and the KDX regularly?
Does anyone have some input? :)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Tough decision!! To keep my kdx200 or CRF450X

Post by Julien D »

Only one way to find out. On a tough day, you'll regret it. On a good day, you'll be glad you did. On a really bad day, you'll cry and empty out your bank account to rebuild that over-complicated bitch.
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I sold my 200 last winter and bought a crf 250x I just bought a kdx 220 and another one with a broken piston from a guy. I missed my kdx, when i went to wash the crf i knew why. I laid it down to wash underneath, when i picked it up, i realized what a pig it is.These thing are heavy, I imagine the 450 is even heavier. I think those 450's would be good out in the open but where I ride tight single track I'll take the kdx any day.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

Good to hear people's opinions.

I took it for a ride around the farm just then (the bush will be the real test though). Things I noticed:
-Turn in and suspension over jumps is GREAT, feels half the weight to turn in even though it's 20kg heavier.
-While low down torque is good, the 0-1000RPM (which I guess is flywheel related) is NOT as good as the KDX. Gearing might assist this, but with the big 450 it's already a tough job keeping the front down so with lowered gearing it might be too much.
-My arms were tired after only a 4-5 laps of my little track, it takes about 20-30 laps on the KDX to be at that stage.
-I like the trailtech speedo (tells temperature etc), and electric start.
-It's LOUD!

I might get the chance to do some serious hill climbs and single trails on Saturday! So I'll post back on here, I'm sure some people are curious/interested.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The CRF and KDX could not be more different.

Keep them both!

(I've never met a guy that said "I used to have one of them KDX'es. Glad I got rid of it!")
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

keep 'em both for awhile, enjoy the 450 while you can then like most you'll grow tired of it (cost to maintain, heavy...) then sell it. Go back to your KDX. Be happy. :grin:
I think I've only heard of 1 guy on this forum in the past 6-7 years that was happy getting a 4 strokes...EVERYONE ELSE than made the "upgrade" admitted they wished they kept their KDX and / or bought one soon after they sold their beloved green awesome fun machine...
The ratio: "$ value / amount of fun you have in return" is bar none the best out there. I don't think anything else come even close...
But sometimes, you need to lose something you love to realize how awesome they are...
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

consider this, with all the bikes you flip, how often have you come across a CRF for sale ?
and how often a KDX ?

there is a reason people hold on to these bikes
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KarlP wrote:(I've never met a guy that said "I used to have one of them KDX'es. Glad I got rid of it!")
Quoted for truth!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I agree with all the comments, and I am usually the one convincing people that the KDX is the best bike ever made. But there is something to be said about a new bike with new suspension and ergonomics, new features etc. It's brakes are amazing, the gearbox is amazing, the power is ballistic. This one also already has steel valves with low hours on them.
Looking like I'll be taking it out in Saturday, that will be the real test. I hope that I prefer my KDX, the crf is worth more to sell, etc. maybe I'll decide I need a 2006 kdx200 with fork conversion. ;)
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
91' CBR250RR
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

The rotating mass that is the engine might make it easier to keep standing up on the corners as long as you keep revs high. :mrgreen: Due to the centrifugal force, probably what makes it feel lighter

I wouldn't mind one as a back up bike, hah! Actually my brother's friend just picked one up this season, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Joshmcmillan wrote:I agree with all the comments, and I am usually the one convincing people that the KDX is the best bike ever made. But there is something to be said about a new bike with new suspension and ergonomics, new features etc.

Not bursting any bubbles here, but it's not a new bike. It's a 7 year old bike. That wouldn't be any big deal, except it's a 7 year old four stroke.
Yugmoto

Post by Yugmoto »

I switched to a crf450x for about six months, dropped it like a bad habit and went back to 2 strokes. Now I'm building a hybrid and I have 2 1/2 Gasgas 2Ts. I don't regret it one bit. Weight and potential expense were the big factors. Top end on a 2T, maybe $150, an evening or two in the garage and a 12pack o' Coors and I'm done. 4T? Gonna be a bit more on all accounts. Plus the new 4Ts are just not fun on nasty gnarly single track. Not that I know everything. Good luck with your decision either way.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

So sadly, today I put my KDX200 up for sale. (My main one, I'll still have my 88' model). I'd still recommend the KDX to anyone, I think they're a great bike, but I'll go through my reasons why I'm keeping the 450 below, in-case it's of interest or use to anyone else.

Handling: This was the big factor. The CRF is about 14kg heavier, but the newer alloy frame, ergonomics, weight distribution and suspension can really be felt. Even on tight single trails, I find the CRF to be far superior.

Power: Something can surely be said about the 20HP gain. Whole different level of power. More power EVERYWHERE with far higher gearing on the 450 as well (13/50 5-speed vs 12/48 6-speed, plus obvious internal differences). It will wheelie in 4th gear at 70km/h without the clutch. The only negative powerwise is due to the larger rotating mass, it will stall more easily. That being said, revs rarely drop down and I have only ever stalled while starting off.

Comfort/Rider Durability: The suspension/seat is surely slightly harder on you than the 200, but I only notice it after going harder than I ever confidently could on a KDX. I only notice the weight when I'm off the bike. After a really hard trail with lots of high acceleration areas I can feel it
in my hands/wrists on the 450 because it's trying to rip itself out of my hands. This all being said, I rode 2 days straight my first time on the 450.

Other factors: I love electric start! That's all I have to say, I just love it. My bike also came with a trailtech computer, which I love, even though I could have gotten one for the KDX. Graphics kits and other cosmetic items are more easily available and cheaper. Wheels, and other items which are obscenely expensive for the KDX are cheap for the CRF ($150 for a brand new Moose rim). Age wise it is 10 years newer, it doesn't need the frame respraying, all wear items are 10 years newer etc.

Maintenance: This is the big factor for a lot of people. My bike has basically new stainless steel valves in it, and they have been known to last 10,000km's with long adjustment intervals (300 hours+). So I'm excluding this factor, as even if they need replacing, it is only $40/valve which is about as much as new powervalves for the KDX. The CRF450 has a split crankcase, so the gearbox oil is EXACTLY the same as on a KDX, same interval, same oil. Engine oil wise, with bush riding only and using quality oil, I'm going to change the oil every 10 hours. I bought 4L of Motul 7100 engine oil for $80, which will do almost 6 services. I also bought 6 oil filters for $30. Meaning $110 for 6 oil changes, or 60 hours. This is about $18 per 10 hours of riding. I use 2 tanks of fuel in my KDX over 10 hours, which is $15 of 2-stroke oil. So, when you factor in that the actual fuel economy of the CRF is significantly greater than that of the KDX, it's actually cheaper to run and maintain that way. Rebuilds are another factor, they are definitely more expensive. $190 for a CRF kit and $140 for the KDX. Head gasket is twice as much as well, but not enough to be a big shock! Cylinder recoat/replacement is about 30% of the price on the CRF (A brand new CRF450 cylinder is $200).

It is so sad to see the KDX go, but I don't think I could ever go back!

This all being said, I am still keen to restore my 88 KDX one day.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
91' CBR250RR