Hard to start

Got questions? We got answers....
Bajarider

Hard to start

Post by Bajarider »

I just got my frankenstein 84 KDX200 together on Saturday. I picked it up for $120 and bought a second parts bike and extra engine since, at the time, piston and rings were not to be found. Anyway, It started up easy the first day, however, the next two it took me a lot of kicking (5-10 mins) to get it started and stay running. I can get it to start with the choke on and then it dies as soon as I hit the throttle or will die on its own. This process will repeat until the engine is warm and I can start it with the choke off then it will stay running. When riding it, there is some sputtering/bogging then will clean up in the higher RPMS.

I cleaned the carb before I put it together but have a feeling that is the source of my problem.

Has anyone experienced this before? What was the solution or any other areas I should look?

Thanks!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hard to start

Post by bufftester »

Sounds as if you have some more carb cleaning to do, typical of a clogged idle circuit. You will want to disassemble it (take the jets out) and clean well, but don't use carb dip. While you're at it take a good look at the tank and petcock/screen to make sure you're not repeating the process by running more gunk into your clean carb.
Bajarider

Re: Hard to start

Post by Bajarider »

I cleaned the carb tonight. The main jet was partially clogged. Tank was clean so I should be safe. Now it start's in one kick and it rips and so much fun. I love how light the air cooled bike is. I am now thinking of entering the AMA Mid-Ohio Hare Scramble next month to have some fun.

Thanks for your help Bufftester!