First ride report now she won't start

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

First ride report now she won't start

Post by KDXhopeful »

Ok. We are just back from my cousins farm where the teenagers can rip around on their bikes. Devin's new to him 04 200 started first kick and ran great for an hour or so. The gas was old from the previous owner. I didn't have time to drain the old stuff out before the ride. I was hoping he could just run the tank dry. Get stranded somewhere and we would rescue him with some fresh gas. Well he got stranded. Flipped the petcock over to reserve and the bike refused to start. I am not even sure the tank was low enought to need the reserve. We drove over some fresh 32 to 1 gas and added some and the bike would not start. The bike was warm but I figured what the heck. Pulled up on the choke and the bike would start and rev to the moon turn the choke off and the bike would die. Does it sound like the carb need a good cleaning along with the tank and petcock as I think it was an annual thing for the previous owner to leave the gas in over the winter without any stabilizer? The darn thin ran beautifully for awhile and quit before I had a chance to try it out.

Also, the exhaust has what looks like a riuber sort of union about 1/2 way between the the muffler and where it connects to the engine that is leaking that oily exhaust stuff onto the swing arm. Is there a gasket in there that may need to be changed out? I haven't got my repair manual yet. Hope there isn't a hole in the exhaust.

Thanks
Pat
Last edited by KDXhopeful on 11:18 pm Jun 21 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
ICRage42
Supporting Member

First ride report

Post by ICRage42 »

one of the reasons I say take the tank off and not just drain it by the petcock. Sounds like you wound up getting junk that was in the tank and its plugging your carb somewhere......hence starve of fuel but with choke itll run. Take the tank and carb off and clean both real good and you should be back to normal.

As for the black stuff that's spooge. Your gonna have it no matter what but why you have a lot is prolly because your running rich your gonna have to jet the bike to get the best performance and less spooge. As for the rubber mount that's normal to leak a little there. That rubber is somewhat the gasket.

Hope this helps.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First ride report

Post by KDXhopeful »

Helps a lot. I was thinking of trying to drain the tank tomorrow with the hose that goes into the carb and see if I have any flow at all. wishful thinking I know. If the tank , carb and petcock need cleaning off to the dealer it goes. Not at all sure what the previous owner used for pre mix or what ratio. I have ordered some Motul710 and will mix it up at 32 to 1. Seems like a lot of spoog out where that rubber thing is as it is leaving a pretty good pile on the swing arm. Do you have to actually remove the gas tank to change the plug? If so, do I have to disconnect the hoses and everything. I hope not.
As always thanks for the help
Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: First ride report now she won't start

Post by bufftester »

Classic crud in the tank...carb will need a thorough cleaning. Pull the pipe while you're at it, heat it up and let the old spooge drain out, same with the silencer. As said before, you will always have spooge with a 2T, but you can minimize it with proper jetting.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Thanks bufftester. That info along with ICRage42's will help me sleep better. what do you use to heat up the pipe? Do you only heat up the muffler end. Will have the dealer clean the petcock as well. Does anyone install an in line fuel filter? Thanks.
Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

one thing to consider
when you turn the petcock in the reserve position is the handle pointing up or down ?

(the reason I ask is because before I had a KDX I had a Yamaha and the petcock in that one would point at the side it was on, rather then cover it, so when I first got my KDX I ran her dry several times before I figured it out)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Pointed up. Funny you mentioned that as we checked the manual to make sure. The faceplate is a bit tough to see.
Thanks
Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Just dropped it off at the dealer. Funny thing is it is a Yammy, Suzuki, Ducati dealer. They have the best service around. Still small town friendly and every bike I have had them work on has come back perfect. The other cool thing is one of their new mechanic's wife works with me and several yeats ago owned a KDX 200. Had a good chat with him this morning and he told me that it was the most fun he has ever had with a dirt bike. He actually misses his KDX. He told me to tell my son that he is a very lucky kid. It was also good to hear a mechanic say the bike looked really clean almost unused. I am happy knowing that our little KDX is going to end up on his table. I will let you all know the results when I get it back.

Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225