Draining the tank

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Draining the tank

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hi Again,
I think I want to drain the old gas from the previous owner as he did ride it that often. What is the best way to do this? Remember I am not the mechanical type.
Thanks
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Re: Draining the tank

Post by ICRage42 »

Not hard at all. But I would advise to get a manual since your not sure of everything and also because it tells you everything you need to do.

Heres what I do for end of the season winter storage etc.

The two side shrouds or radiator shrouds have to come off. You might have a problem if previous owner wrenched on the bolts here and sometimes the brass spins inside the tank and you cant take bolts out they just spin. But if all is well just take them off and place them to the side. From here theres if I can remember correctly just to tank bolts up front of tank and one rubber strap from frame to tank. Theres also a rubber hose from the tank after the petcock. I remove the tanks bolts and strap and take the hose off of the carb from the tank. From there you should be able to remove the tank from the bike. What I usually do when tank is off I then take the tank and swish it around to get the old fuel or sometimes junk swirled up. Take off the cap and invert it over a container and pour the old gas out into an older gas can. I then use the old fuel to start fires etc or run it through the weedeater if it isn't too bad.

Not hard at all in reality the install is reverse really and it was probably harder to type a response to your post then to take a tank off. Get the manual and read over what you need to do. Coming here will help you with that but will have the knowledge of the brass inserts and such and to get around them as well.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Thanks for the information. I love your avitar. Best cartoon ever. we have all the books and they rotate in and out of the room where a lot of people do a lot of their reading. If you know what I mean. I will order the shop manual for it on-line somewhere. I have the owner's manual.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
cornishwrecker220

Draining the tank

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

The quickest & easiest way to drain out your fuel is to pull off the rubber fuel line from the carb, slip it into some hose pipe then put the end of the hose into a gas can & turn the fuel on...leave to drain while you sit back & drink your beer !! :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Draining the tank

Post by Julien D »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:The quickest & easiest way to drain out your fuel is to pull off the rubber fuel line from the carb, slip it into some hose pipe then put the end of the hose into a gas can & turn the fuel on...leave to drain while you sit back & drink your beer !! :grin:
Yep.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

pull the hose off the carb and drain away

tilt bike over to get last bit out
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Draining the tank

Post by 6 Riders »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:The quickest & easiest way to drain out your fuel is to pull off the rubber fuel line from the carb, slip it into some hose pipe then put the end of the hose into a gas can & turn the fuel TO RESERVE...leave to drain while you sit back & drink your beer !! :grin:
Fixed that, but otherwise good info.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

I took a look at it today and removing the hose seems to be the way to go for my current skill level. Removed the air filter today and replaced it with a new Moose Racing one. I am trying the Moose one based on the testing post onthis site. I am glad I checked it out. The one that was in there wasn't a mess but it definitely needed changing. Going to take a shot at changing the motor oil tomorrow. Gotta get this stuff done as we are hoping to get to the farm on saturday for a ride. Not sure when the oil was changed as the bike is new to us. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the continued help guys.
Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You did oil that filter..right? Just checking....
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

best way to drain the tank is hit the trails and run her till shes dry
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Yup I did oil it. No Toil. Thanks for checking. I agree the best way to empty a tank is by riding. I think the gas in it is a bit old. At least a year maybe more. I want to put new gas and oil in it to start it's new life with us fresh. Picked up some Motul800. Good reviews and the price isn't great but it's not outrageous. Spectro Golden Gear Lube for the engine oil. Sae 80. There is a guy in the parts dept at the loca Kawi dealer who has been there for 25 years and he suggested these 2 oils. I also ordered a repair manual. I live in Canada but the bike is an American model. The fellow I bought it from purchased it from a fellow in the States. I will try and post some pics of it soon. Got the plastics off and the previous owner managed to mangle them up pretty bad. The plastic panel on the left side has a weird screw and thing on the frame that it is supposed to screw into. Going to have to figure something out on that one as it doesen't fasten right now. Sounds like a trip to Otawa Fasteners is in order for me. By mangled I mean the screws not the plastics
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
cornishwrecker220

Draining the tank

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

6 Riders wrote:
cornishwrecker220 wrote:The quickest & easiest way to drain out your fuel is to pull off the rubber fuel line from the carb, slip it into some hose pipe then put the end of the hose into a gas can & turn the fuel TO RESERVE...leave to drain while you sit back & drink your beer !! :grin:
Fixed that, but otherwise good info.
Ah yes, but by then once your beer is empty, the remaining fuel in the tank will need to be turned onto reserve....so while you walk to the chiller to collect another beer you can switch the fuel onto reserve at the same time...this is a careful process as timing is everything :boogie:
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Drinking beer seems to be a trend on this forum. I am going to like this forum. A lot... :partyman: . Hahaha...
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225