03 KDX200 Running rough - Small hole in reed

Got questions? We got answers....
LADirtrider
Supporting Member

03 KDX200 Running rough - Small hole in reed

Post by LADirtrider »

As I've been running around the woods the past few months, I've been having a lot of fun, but knew it wasn't running great. Basically it would bog on and off at acceleration. Throttle response was all over the place. Didn't like mid-range, but was *ok* up high. Low range was also pretty rough.

First thing I did was clean the carb and replaced the pilot and main jet with a set that I felt was a good starting place for the mods the bike has. Carb looked great so there wasn't much to clean.

It didn't solve anything so onto checking the reeds. This is my first time removing and looking at a reed valve so I'm not sure if this is a "big deal" or not. Found an eraser sized hole in the corner (see pics). I'm going to replace it, whether it's a big deal or not, but I wanted to ask you guys if this could be a cause to my issues above:

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 03 KDX200 Running rough - Small hole in reed

Post by bufftester »

Yes, reed damage can cause issues, even something as seemingly trivial as a reed not laying flat against the cage can cause havoc trying to get the bike to run strong especially in the low/mid ranges. 2 Stroke engines are very sensitive to any air leaks/issues.