What do you take along for a day of riding..??

Got questions? We got answers....
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

Planning to go riding with my boys at a local off-road park tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. This will be the first time I have taken them for a day of riding like this, and I'm very excited but also nervous I may have forgotten something.

The bikes are serviced and running well, and we all have the proper gear. I am making a list of the things I need to take along, but am throwing this out to anyone to suggest other things I should take as well.

So far, I am planning on taking

- Fuel premix for me and regular for their 4 stroke TTR's
- Tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc)
- Coolant
- Oil
- Tire pump
- Tire pressure gauge
- Chain lube

- Food
- Snacks
- Drinks
- Spare clothes / shoes
- Towels

I know I should probably carry spare inner tubes and tire levers, but that will have to wait until next time, so hopefully no punctures. What else should I consider packing..??

Thanks..!!

Dave. :)
iswenson

Re: What do you take along for a day of riding..??

Post by iswenson »

spare spark plugs if you have them....
Brom32

Post by Brom32 »

A Tie down or something to pull a bike with in case you break down and can't fix it or ride it back

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
04 Kdx200 w/ PC Platinum 2
Davenay67

Post by Davenay67 »

Great ideas. Thanks, guys..!! I put my spare plug n the KDX's fanny pack.

I also thought about needing spare levers. The TTR125 has guards, so hopefully that will help a lot, but spares are always good. I don't have spares just yet, so another "next item" set of items.
iswenson

Post by iswenson »

A spare bike? Its hard to really nail down exactly what to bring. For example, I went riding a few weeks ago with my brother (him on a 2010 KTM 300 XC-W me on a 2004 KDX 220R). We went over the bikes in great detail before we left. While taking his bike off the trailer, he squeezed the front brake and bottomed it out. Turns out his front brake line had a tiny split and it was loosing pressure/fluid through it. Of course we didn't bring a spare front brake line.

The point is you cannot be prepared for everything. The best thing you can bring is a positive attitude because something can always go wrong.
Joshmcmillan
Supporting Member

Post by Joshmcmillan »

I carry in the fender bag; spark plugs, spanner, chain links, chain press, pliers and cable ties.

In my camel pack I carry Gatorade, chips, gopro batteries and phone.
07' CR450X (Main Bike)
07' KX125 (Completed basket case rebuild, for sale)
88' KDX200 (Not sure yet, runs but with rattly top end)
91' CBR250RR
Old Bikes: 97' KDX200, 00' RM125, 85' XR350, 94' KDX200, 02' CR80, 82' XT250, 98' CT200
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Minor first aid stuff. Something I always forget, but is sometimes needed. It's on my list for next time.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

B737driver wrote:Minor first aid stuff. Something I always forget, but is sometimes needed. It's on my list for next time.

that is something I always keep in my camel back
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ »

Always take take tools plug etc. never used any on my bike kdx's never break down. very seldom however dont use them on some one elses 4 stroke. I always have camel back that carry's tools for other peoples bikes and 3 ltrs water. wouldnt leave home without it. ride and enjoy. :wink:
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Multitool (think it's a Gerber). Cheap, in case I lose it.
T-handle with 1/4" drive on each T, has 8, 10, & 12 mm sockets I can swap around.
Small flathead screw driver for air screw and suspension clicker adjustments (often leave this out and just use multitool).
Rolled up nylon strap in case a tow is needed
Spare spark plug
3 way tool for front and rear axle nuts, as well as spark plug (MSR rider wrench, like pictured below)
Duct tape wrapped around the handle of the 3-way wrench, takes up basically no room
Small bicycle pump (almost never need air, but when I did, it seemed I'd run out of CO2 that day, hand pump has unlimited supply)
Valve stem tool
A few small rags
License
$20 cash
Lighter
Some zip-ties
Spare master link

Depending on the ride I'll sometimes toss in tube patches and tire irons. Don't mind riding a flat out in most cases, but if we will be far from the trucks and rocky/rooted I'd rather get the thing fixed. Out west I always carried them, as well as a comb for getting those evil Cholla spines of death out of various appendages.

Really looks like a lot when I list it out like that, but it all easily packs in my cheapo Camelback knock-off. The bike pump is the bulkiest thing.