New to us KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

New to us KDX

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here and first week of owning an 04 KDX200. My soon to be 15 year old grew out of his Honda crf 150f and wanted his next bike to be a 2 stroke. His cousin has one and well 2 strokes are cool. So, Here is my first of many post with many questions as I am not very mechanical and want his bike to be the best it can be for the best bang for my buck. Here goes.

1. It has stock fork springs and he goes about 190lbs / 6'. What rate of springs should I be looking at? we trail ride and he bombs around on my cousins farm quite a bit as well. we don't ride super hard. I have checked Freddette's site I just want some confirmation that his suggestions are correct.
2. Are Uni air filters as good as any to use on it?
3. How do you set the rear suspension? Again I am way not mechanical so, if anybody takes a shot at answering this one the more step by stepo the answer can be the better. Talk to me like I am 2 years old.
4. We are new to 2 strokes and there is pre mix oil and syntetic pre mix oil. which one is the best and if it is synthetic do we keep the ratio at 32 to 1?
5. It is bone stock. probably have to purchase him a "cool" muffler only not the entire pipe as I don't think I can afford it. Which ones have you all had sucess with. I might be able to squeeze the pipe into the budget at a later date.
6. Probably going to have the dealer do a carb cleaning as the last owner did'nt ride it much or should I wait and see how it runs?
7. If I have missed something obvious please let us know. I gotta be honest when he test drove it before we bought it I was somewhat jealous. Now I just want to try the darn thing out. Just an awesome looking machine.

Thanks a bunch
Pat
Whoa that was close!!! Damn kid is too fast for me to try and keep up to.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
TN Dirtrider

Re: New to us KDX

Post by TN Dirtrider »

1. I always use the spring rate calculator on Race Tech's website. It's pretty good!
2. No idea, but I'm sure they are fine.
3. Go on YouTube and search for "setting race sag". There are some good videos. Won't necessarily be a KDX, but they all pretty much work the same way.
4. Ask an oil question and you'll get a million different answers. I run Motul 800T @ 40 to 1.
5. Replace the pipe before you worry about buying an aftermarket muffler. It will make a big difference where the muffler really won't, other than saving some weight.
6. Run it first.....no point wasting money at the dealer if you are happy with it. I'd suggest doing it yourself...not much to it.
7. If it has been sitting up for a while I would go ahead and change the transmission oil. I do it every 2-3 rides.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 to TNs response, I'll add my $0.02:

1. The KDX suspension is unbalanced in stock form. At 190 he'll probably find the rear to be not too bad, but the front will be way too soft (more sprung for 140lb). Since you say he's just moved up and is not riding too hard IMO I would make sure the fork seals are good, service with new oil, and then keep an eye out for a set of fork springs to purchase at a later date when he really needs them.
2. I've used UNIs, they are fine. Key to any air filter is to clean it often and correctly.
3. Rear sag videos on You tube will show how. Keep in mind that setting rear sag properly assumes you have spent the money to properly spring the bike to the rider's weight. As said above, the rear spring stock will be close, but may still be a bit on the soft side which will affect sag. Get it close but don't fret it too much until you properly spring BOTH the front and rear. There are a million KDX riders out there ripping it up who have never touched the adjusters on their bikes!
4. Buy whatever you have available regularly. Once you find a brand/type you want to stick to that same one for all your riding (as that is how you want to jet your bike). 32:1, 40:1 doesn't really matter, again whichever you pick stay with it. If you never rejet the bike you'll just have to deal with oily drips, if you do rejet you'll have to deal with oily drips...it's a 2 stroke, you will always have oily drips!
5. Save your money. Putting an aftermarket silencer on the stock pipe buys you no performance gains (other than losing a few pounds). Once you commit to a new pipe you'll be looking to rejet again, so may as well practice now with the oil/ratio you decide on in step 4.
6. Clean the carb your self...seriously...it's easy enough my son did it at 12. If you have issues post pics here and we'll literally walk you through it. Plenty of threads on here how to do it, search is your friend. The biggest thing you can do for your carb (and yourself) is replace the float bowl phillips head screws with allen head screws...you'll thank me later.
7. Take a good long look at bearings and seals (wheels, forks, suspension, linkage) Linkage bearings get seriously abused and neglected, and are a wear item that need servicing. Make sure the fluids are topped off and then address the most obvious problem....you'll need one to keep up with him! lol
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Hey Guys thanks for the advice so far,
Are all tranny oils created equal?
Checked out the race tech calculator. Very cool.
Rear sag. I will watch some videos. Still concerned about this one.
I wish I had someone to walk me through the carb cleaning in person. Anyone planning to come to Ottawa anytime soon? LOL.
If Ididn't already have a Yamaha xt 225 enduro that I use on and off road I would definitely be looking to pick up a second KDX
Pat
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Ottawa county MI ?
we can work something out

shoot, if you are from Ottawa county chances are you have seen a plated KDX catwalking by and it would have been me
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Nope. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Too bad. I would have love the tutorial. Thanks for the offer.
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225
KDXhopeful
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXhopeful »

Watched the cool air filter test on this site last night. As a result I picked up a Moose Racing air filter. Still wondering which filter oil to use. I have been using no toil. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
05 Kawasaki KDX 200
07 Yamaha xt 225