KIPS Help

Got questions? We got answers....
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KIPS Help

Post by bufftester »

You can ride it with the KIPS not fully closing, just going to run like ass on the bottom, but it will not damage anything. I've not had to break in the KIPS after a rebuild. I have seen bent actuator shafts cause issues, and IIRC there was a guy who had issues with the governor assembly under the RH cover. The pin didn't break off, but the spring/gear unit was not working properly. At this point you're getting ready for your big trip, I'd ride it and dig into it when I got back.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

bufftester wrote:You can ride it with the KIPS not fully closing, just going to run like ass on the bottom, but it will not damage anything. I've not had to break in the KIPS after a rebuild. I have seen bent actuator shafts cause issues, and IIRC there was a guy who had issues with the governor assembly under the RH cover. The pin didn't break off, but the spring/gear unit was not working properly. At this point you're getting ready for your big trip, I'd ride it and dig into it when I got back.
Well, just as I thought would happen. My friend, who has motorcycle oil in his DNA, popped the round cover off, pushed on the cam and WD-40'd it a bit and the ports closed all the way on their own. So now the KIPs works correctly. I guess it needed a little breaking in. It's still not as instant as others I've seen, but it's quick enough and kind of smooth. Not complaining at all.

The real issue now is the leaking carb. I had to jet leaner because it's making the bike too rich. I've got to figure the leak out and then I think we're almost there. Just the mid and top end on trails is enough to give you a semi, and the light handling frame is awesome. That same friend took it for a few trails and didn't want to have his DR350 back.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

Google "Jet Block Gasket KDX". Sound like that might be your problem and you'll never get the carb right if that is the problem.
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You'll need a security torx bit to change it, I believe Sudco sells them. GotWoods is absolutely right, if that gasket is gone you will never get your jetting dialed in.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

bufftester wrote:You'll need a security torx bit to change it, I believe Sudco sells them. GotWoods is absolutely right, if that gasket is gone you will never get your jetting dialed in.
Thanks, guys. I just ordered a gasket without even tearing into the carb. I think I have a set of Torx security heads. I need to pressure wash the bike before diving into anything. It got a bit filthy over the weekend... :supz:
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

The jet block gasket actually looked fine, but I noticed it was surrounded by lots of congealed premix that I had to scrape off. Wondering is this was indeed the problem. The gasket looked a lot smaller than it should have been--narrow diameter, but fit perfectly. In fact, it looked like it wasn't even squished, like a gasket should be.

I also polished the needle seat. Blowing into the fuel line, it's air tight when I push up on the floats.

It's one of those two...

Here are a few pictures.

GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

I don't know, but when I blow the pics up in my browser that gasket and the o ring in the bottom picture look like ass to me. You are the dude on the ground though so you have a better view of it. Maybe I'm seeing the congealed premix you speak of. Having that mung in the carb can't be helping matters. Were the torx screws tight? Is the gasket a rubber o ring type and if so was the gasket still soft and pliable or was it stiff, because if you are saying that it seems small, it could have gotten funky if someone dipped the carb. That is what happens to the rubber, it shrinks and gets hard and brittle.

About the gas leaking out, as I said before mine pisses out anytime it is even slightly at more of an angle than the kickstand holds it at (03 220) and it runs fricken awesome. Just last weekend I put it on the stand to help pull my friend's fat ass out of a mud pit and when I got back to the bike what was puddled underneath it would have made the folks at the EPA **** themselves. My 03 200 did the exact same thing and that had about 4 hours on it when I bought it. My advice, for what it is worth, is to adjust the floats per the manual's specs, and if it is not draining your tank on the kickstand, don't worry about it.

BTW, where did you end up in NH? And if you went to Jericho did you stay at the park or in town? I was wondering what the facilities are like for staying at the park. We rented motel rooms when we went but have thought about camping at the park.

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

GOT WOODS? wrote:I don't know, but when I blow the pics up in my browser that gasket and the o ring in the bottom picture look like ass to me. You are the dude on the ground though so you have a better view of it. Maybe I'm seeing the congealed premix you speak of. Having that mung in the carb can't be helping matters. Were the torx screws tight? Is the gasket a rubber o ring type and if so was the gasket still soft and pliable or was it stiff, because if you are saying that it seems small, it could have gotten funky if someone dipped the carb. That is what happens to the rubber, it shrinks and gets hard and brittle.

About the gas leaking out, as I said before mine pisses out anytime it is even slightly at more of an angle than the kickstand holds it at (03 220) and it runs fricken awesome. Just last weekend I put it on the stand to help pull my friend's fat ass out of a mud pit and when I got back to the bike what was puddled underneath it would have made the folks at the EPA **** themselves. My 03 200 did the exact same thing and that had about 4 hours on it when I bought it. My advice, for what it is worth, is to adjust the floats per the manual's specs, and if it is not draining your tank on the kickstand, don't worry about it.

BTW, where did you end up in NH? And if you went to Jericho did you stay at the park or in town? I was wondering what the facilities are like for staying at the park. We rented motel rooms when we went but have thought about camping at the park.
It's the crappy iPhone camera. Honestly, when I pulled it off, it looked like a brand new o-ring--soft and pliable, not a crack in it. It did look small as far as diameter, which suggests why all that premix was able to find its way inside. I have a brand new one coming in and will compare it to this one when it arrives. If it looks identical, I'm just going to throw the new one in and really ratchet down on the torx bolts. Which were pretty tight, by the way.

I guess this carb just likes to leak!

We stayed at the Jericho campground, which was pretty basic. Metal fire pit, a handful of shared outhouses (shudder), and some sites had cabins. There was a welcoming center which had real bathrooms, but it was only open during the day. I'm not a fan of camping, but it's probably the most convenient place to stay because you can wake up and just hit the trails immediately. I got a speeding ticket in my truck on 16N--they're like vultures! We also got speed warnings on the trails, but the rangers only hang out in the common areas--we saw none on the fun trails.

Looking forward to going back!
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

Thanks for the intel on Jericho, we'll stick to the funky motels I guess.....

Since you are a Maineiac, Check out the Carthage area over near Bethel/Andover if you haven't already. We parked in the Dixfield (Dixville?) parking area and headed north. Nice trails, low use, varied terrain, never seen rangers~ and even if we did not sure any of them care about much as long as you are legal and not riding off of the designated trail. Seems like Maine actually wants us (and our money) there.....

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
GS

Post by GS »

Mayor, would you post a pic of the new vs. old rubber o-ring/gasket? I just took ours all apart and re-assembled but the gasket wasn't a very tight clap, so was wondering....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

GS wrote:Mayor, would you post a pic of the new vs. old rubber o-ring/gasket? I just took ours all apart and re-assembled but the gasket wasn't a very tight clap, so was wondering....
GS, sorry, I just reassembled with the new jetblock gasket. In all honesty, it looked identical to the one that was already in there, in the picture above. It's quite a puny gasket for such a crucial area of the carb. I think in my case the star bolts weren't tightened enough, or the gasket was slightly off-center, enabling a leak.

My advice is to take a tiny bit of grease and line the cutout portion where the gasket lays in, then gently lay it in there. This will keep it from jostling around and make sure it stays where it should upon reassembly. I'm still not sure if it's the jetblock gasket, as my carb now only leaks when leaned over on the sidestand. I'm going to adjust the floats the right way with a tube off the bottom of the bowl to rule that out completely. If ALL of that doesn't work, then it's got to be the needle seat, which I polished feverishly.
GS

Post by GS »

My gasket wasn't a perfect fit, used a little gasket maker(gas impervious) to hold it. I think these KDXs are a little prone to dribbling if the stand puts them at a great lean angle. Maybe someone can correct this imoression I have?
I've never polished a seat but I would think that is pretty fussy as to sealing?
Keep us posted? I'll get fuel into mine soon, week or two, and report findings as well
Thx