Sell both and get a KX250
60%
Keep 'em both and skip the KX250
40%

Total votes: 10

NM_KDX200

What do you think? Two bikes or one?

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Sell my KX125 and KDX200 and get a KX250 and woodsify it, or keep both current bikes and be perfectly content? The goal is to reduce parts and maintance (although the KDX isn't requiring much in that dept). I am currently riding the KX more because the track is closer than the trail, but when I go trail or exploring I take the KDX, no question. I would say my riding percentage is currently 80% track, 20% trail.

So....keep 'em both or sell 'em both? I could be perfectly happy either way.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, you are 80% track and 20% trail right now. RIGHT NOW, it sounds like you have the correct bike 100% of the time. I wonder if you get a KX250 and modify it for one, it will be a "track and trail" instead of a "street and trail" bike. In my mind, a street and trail bike does neither great, but both well enough. It sounds like if you went with a woods modified KX, then it would be a MX bike in the woods and a trail bike on the track, not reaching its full potential on either.

I guess whatever bike you have/get, it will only work as well on the intended terrain as your bike prep lets it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Modify a KX250 correctly for trail and it will be for crap on a track. If you got the KX250, then just be ready to remove and add things each time you want to change up riding types.
I say; keep the KDX, sell the 125 and buy a 250. It ain't cheap, but this hobby is a fast way to loose money anyway. And since you can't take money with you when you die, spend it on something that makes you happy. If you are lucky, just before you die, the last check you write will bounce.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:OK, you are 80% track and 20% trail right now. RIGHT NOW, it sounds like you have the correct bike 100% of the time.
Hmmm....that's a very good point. Plus, the thing I really like about the KX125 vs. a KX250 on the track is the lightweight flickability of the 125. I'm not going to win races against an equal rider on a 250/F, but I work harder trying and it makes me a better (not faster, better) rider. Just in the 2.5 months that I've had the 125 I've learned a LOT about clutching, braking, etc., and this is after riding for 30+ years! I didn't learn those things on my former YZ250. The 125 is also just about the right speed and the power is very controllable both of which keep me out of trouble. One more thing is that the '01 KX125 is a fairly short bike and at 5' 5", I'm a fairly short person. Result is that I feel really comfortable on the KX. The KDX feels much bigger- I really oughta drop the suspension 1".

Oh, BTW, when I say "woods" riding, what I'm really talking about is fireroads, jeep trails, and sand washes. Very little to no tight bark-buster woods.

And it IS nice having a spare bike sometimes.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

"....Oh, BTW, when I say "woods" riding, what I'm really talking about is fireroads, jeep trails, and sand washes. Very little to no tight bark-buster woods."

Then in that case, I would sell the KDX and get a KX500. :supz: Seriously.

Did I mention I love those things? :lol:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Modify a KX250 correctly for trail and it will be for crap on a track. If you got the KX250, then just be ready to remove and add things each time you want to change up riding types.
I say; keep the KDX, sell the 125 and buy a 250. It ain't cheap, but this hobby is a fast way to loose money anyway. And since you can't take money with you when you die, spend it on something that makes you happy. If you are lucky, just before you die, the last check you write will bounce.
:supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :prayer:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Keep the KDX and find a KX 250 for the track, you would have more fun with the KX 250 on the track, but hold on to the KDX for the trails. Thats what I'm wanting to do if I find a KX250 at the right price. The 250 does'nt have to be brand new but thats what I'm thinking about doing all the same the longer I have thought about it. I was considering selling my KDX and buying a new KXF 250 4 stroker and converting it over but it just does'nt work for both. So I kinda figure I'd rather keep the KDX and buy a new KX 250 for track use. I read a new article about the new KXF250 and they realy like it. But money wise I'd probably wind up buying a older 2 stroke just because of the costs involved. KEEP THE KDX though. You'll regret it when you hit the trails with a MX bike.

Jon.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Buy a KTM

Just KIDDING Guys

Gotta Run :boogie: :boogie:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Sell a motorcycle?

You don't need to sell, just buy! buy!

I have six, I need to sell 3 but I hate to think about it :neutral:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i agree, keep them all if you can. I have 3 right now and im getting another tommorow... i hope.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If the bike is paid for, then, WHY SELL IT? It's not costing you anything to keep it around. Just my opinion.

Colorado Mike:
Doug just added a compression release on his KX500 from an auction on eBay. It's mounted to the cylinder just above the reeds. When the compression lever is pulled, the bike kicks over like a 125 and since it's down in the barrel, the bike will start and run with the compression lever pulled in. The worst thing about a 500 is starting it. Now that's no longer a problem. Look into it if you think you want to. Just thought I'd pass it on. His KX500 now is easier to kickstart than my KDX.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:If the bike is paid for, then, WHY SELL IT? It's not costing you anything to keep it around.
To raise funds for the new one, that's why! If I sold each bike for $1500, I'd have enough for a good used KX250, no problem. I just don't make enough $$$ to keep pouring more and more in bikes- gotta keep it under control. No, they don't cost anything sitting in the garage but they do depreciate by the minute- so if they're going to sit there, better to sell and put the $$$ to work and buy another one later.

Went to the track today- had a lot of fun with the lil' 125. Beat a kid with a KX100, got beat (although I put up a good fight!) by a YZ250f. Beat 2 CR250's but they haven't been riding long. I'll tell ya what's hard to race- quads. The things are so fast thru the corners and they raise so much dust- hard to get around them there. I can get 'em on the jumps, but there's not a whole lot of room left by the time the quad hogs the middle of the track.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yeah but your forgeting to tell us the most important thing....

What's quicker a KX125 or a KDX200 with an MX rear guard ?!?! :wink: :rolleyes: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Thats good to know Ski. I never heard of a comp release in that location. To tell you the truth I didn't have any trouble starting the 500 I rode, but maybe I was just jazzed about riding it. We were also up around 12,500-13,500' maybe that lowers the compression enough to make it easy to start. That thing was a blast though. I really thought a modern MX bike would be a handful, and similar to your 250 experience, it's just the opposite. That KX500 handled much better than my KDX, felt lighter, and had tons of smooth horsepower. I'm just not sure if it really has good suspension, or it just rips the rough terrain out from under itself. Either way, it's a blast. I wish I had a video of me riding up a long rough incline up there. My buddy left on his 650R before the rest of us, we got going and I left the others in the dust. That 500 just made the terrain blur. It reeled him in in no time and I blew by him probably 20 mph faster. when he pulled up his eyes were mighty wide, he said he thought he was hauling till he heard me. :lol: my son pulled up a little later and said he didn't know a dirtbike could do that. :prayer:
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Did you reply "5% bike, 95% rider, son"... :whistle: :cool:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

nope :lol: he's seen me ride. In that case it was just a fast machine with a speed-intoxicated monkey hanging on to the bars. :rolleyes: He keeps telling me I should get one... I wonder if his mom has been telling him about the life insurance money :? Sure was fun though!
Mike

'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

If I was forced to vote based on your riding preferances...keep the 125 and the KDX. Although, if your riding mostly open stuff when riding off road...the KX250 set up for MX will be ok. It's going to be way to stiff and harsh for any real rough stuff though. Money being the issue...keep what you have and start saving for a third bike! :partyman:

Colorado Mike...GET THE KX 5. :mrgreen: They are loads of fun. :boogie: KX5 and KX250 are both on my to get list. :cool: Looks like the KX250 will come first. '02, '04 or '05. There is an amature race team that has '04 and '05 that they'll be selling shortly (they actually take really good care of thier stuff + I know them) Or there is a guy selling a really clean "02 that I'm going to look at this week. I just haven't figured out how to break it to the spouse. :please:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:If I was forced to vote based on your riding preferances...keep the 125 and the KDX.
Well, I talked to my wife (who is very supportive of my hobbies. 20th year anniversay coming up in March) and my riding buddy and they both voted KX/KDX. Both of them said that I look good on the KX125 and thought a KX250 would be "too much" for everything we ride. The KDX is already a proven and reliable off-road work-horse. So, for now, status quo.

BTW- the enclosed trailer is great. We used it at the track yesterday and it was very nice being able to change inside, store everything under cover, and leave everything in the trailer upon getting home. I'm getting a little dust in the side door (I have 10 miles of dirt road from house to highway) and will try to get it sealed a little tighter.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Would a KX125 be too small for me (6'2", 220)? I've been flirting with the idea of getting a KX250, and I can get a leftover 2005 for $4950, but I've heard the power is explosive.

I had been thinking of selling my KDX to get another bike, but maybe the ticket is to keep it (paid for) and get a track-only bike. That KX125 sounds like fun!
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Thats a great price for an 05 leftover. Go For It.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr