new(to me) 05 KDX 220.. stock

Got questions? We got answers....
sebastien

Post by sebastien »

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and new to the KDX experience. I've recently traded away my DRZ400S for a 05 KDX 220 and those bikes are world apart and I'm a very happy camper right now!

When I got the bike, everything was stock and I was told the bike was "low hours" and that the had engine never been opened before. Took it out for a ride, and man what a blast!

I ride trails and am rarely found on an MX track.

First thing I did was:

-riser spacers for handlebars
-cr-hi bend handlebars
-handguard wrappers
-shorter clutch and break levers
-swapped the stock front tire to a pirelli xc mid hard
-new air filter

I was advised by NBDSC forum member to swap the stock piston asap as the skirt has been known to be problematic. So I took my bike to the mechanic and this is what he discovered:

First off, the cylinder's nicasilk is starting to chip away. Should I send it to Quebec's cvtech replating company or should I order an OEM cylinder?

Secondly, I already have a wiseco piston and ring kit ready to be installed. Standard size.

I stopped at the local store yesterday and purchased goods. I got:

-a wrapping skid plate
-fmf gnarly woods pipe
-fmf Q silencer
-exhause plugs(is this the right term?)
-jdjetting KDX 220 needles

I've always been using DOT tires for my DRZ, started with the trackmaster2 from kenda and switched over to the michelin AC10. But for my KDX, even though I am Y plated(street legal) in my province, I'd like to go with a bad ass mother $#@&ing knobby. Recommendations are welcomed.

Anyhow, I'm not the most knowledgeable with the mechanic stuff, I'm happily learning as I go along. It's a different story when dad is not there to do that stuff.

cheers!

-sebastien
Last edited by sebastien on 08:38 am Jun 14 2014, edited 1 time in total.
sebastien

new(to me) 05 KDX 225.. stock

Post by sebastien »

day1:

s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: new(to me) 05 KDX 220.. stock

Post by s10gto »

Very Nice! As for the plating I would just price it both ways. Plating will probably be cheaper and a better job.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: new(to me) 05 KDX 220.. stock

Post by 6 Riders »

When having the cylinder replated, make sure that you send the new piston and rings out with it.
As far as tires go, the Kenda Washougal has been working well for me. Both mine are DOT, but I hear the rear is no longer DOT. Big fat knobs on those tires too. They are great for the terrain that I ride, biggest deal is that they CAN climb out of a rut, could be good or bad, depending on your riding style. But I can rail high banks made of round (river type) rock with confidence!
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Gotanubike
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Gotanubike »

Nice bike, are you from Quebec or NB? I'll be visiting the eastern townships in Quebec in early August where my parents grew up...going to try and and tackle a mountain trail on the KDX

I just put Kenda Trakmaster II K760 tires on and I like them. Good bang for your buck(Nearly half price of Bridgestone / Dunlop)

One other thing is that plating appears to be the original factory electrousion plating. Probably not nikasil, but you will be far better off haveing nikasil done. It will last 4x longer
1990 KDX200
Bike Profile -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 61#p136315
Suspension Overhaul(Shock+89-92 conventional forks) -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 15&t=15255
96'-98' RM125 Showa 49mm fork swap -> http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 04&t=16994
KDXrider world map! -> https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=186158
sebastien

Post by sebastien »

Gotanubike wrote:One other thing is that plating appears to be the original factory electrousion plating. Probably not nikasil, but you will be far better off haveing nikasil done. It will last 4x longer
ah okay!

I'm in NB, trails over here are quite awesome

[youtube][/youtube]