opinions needed for 93 E front brake modding

Got questions? We got answers....
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

opinions needed for 93 E front brake modding

Post by newbbewb »

my 93 E series is needing new binders. front brake hose is shot, front rotor so-so, brake lever is bent and can't buy AVS for E series master cylinder(I NEED).

SOOO, I've done some searching but comparing all the pictures is blowing my mind. I have 13 tabs open. Need someone with experience with both E and H and some kx

What year kx master could I possibly use? A year where the stainless brake line from the kx line would work with my kdx 93 USD forks/brake setup would be ideal. I only say KX master because I really really want adjustable AVS brake lever.

I've also had terrible luck getting front SS lines made locally. they always have the slightest twist that looks like crap because the two ends are not aligned properly.

thanks
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: opinions needed for 93 E front brake modding

Post by 6 Riders »

OK, I have a 93/94 E bike and a 95 H. With the E-Bike, find a Hydrolic line maker and have them make a SS braided hose for you, just take your old one with you. Do your rear line while your at it. I paid $50 for my rear line, took about 20 minutes for him to fab it up. Also got green line :wink: . Go to RMATV and order the Tusk front rotor for the 94 bikes, it's $60, add some brake pads and a caliper rebuild kit. You can also get an MSR lever set, I have those for both bikes and really like the levers.
Links;
Rotor http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/189 ... ont?v=1345 as far as I can tell, they also fit H series bikes.
Levers (these are moose but MSR sells the same thing) http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11 ... -lever-set
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

You can fit just about any master cylinder you want onto your handlebars, just be sure to find the correct lever for it. I would think that where the brake line attaches to it would be the same for any other master cylinder. Brake line length is important, you could probably use a KX line, difference would be how the banjo ends bend. The '93 and '94 KDX have a 2-piston caliper which is very capable of stopping you, just tear it down and clean it/rebuild it
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

the basics are working fine.

I doubt this, but is the USD 93-94 front line anywhere near the fit of a H series? The bore of the master cylinder is the same, and I can get AVS lever.
the MSR just isn't what I'm needing for this bike, but good piece.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:the basics are working fine.

I doubt this, but is the USD 93-94 front line anywhere near the fit of a H series? The bore of the master cylinder is the same, and I can get AVS lever.
the MSR just isn't what I'm needing for this bike, but good piece.
No, the brake line is completely different. You're gonna have to have one made, or buy OEM.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

just purchased an H series front BMC, ASV c6 lever off fleabay for $120. guess I'll have to head down to the local hydro line place tomorrow AM.

on another note, I was working on my kx200 and noticed the much nicer kx rear brake pedal bolts up to the kdxE, minus the threaded stop thats not on the kdxE frame. easy mod.
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:just purchased an H series front BMC, ASV c6 lever off fleabay for $120. guess I'll have to head down to the local hydro line place tomorrow AM.

on another note, I was working on my kx200 and noticed the much nicer kx rear brake pedal bolts up to the kdxE, minus the threaded stop thats not on the kdxE frame. easy mod.
Tell us more! Some details on what you used (parts, year of bike they're from) and what you did (wire ties etc.)

With the clutch lever, I'm assuming that you're using an H Master Cylinder? If not, you are not going to be happy.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

My two bikes are in my signature. I have no H model for comparison sitting here.

BMC= brake master cylinder, I'm working on the front. I've purchased an H series 2002 kdx 220 FRONT brake master, so I can use an adjustable lever. on paper the master is the same bore piston as my E series, but the mounts for the brake lever itself are different. I didn't want to pepper the forum with stupid questions so I got as close as I could and pulled the educated guess trigger.

the rear brake lever was on this hybrid when I bought it. looks to be forged aluminum,factory kawi, with long beefy teeth, beefy design vs. kdx200E OEM lever. so I've kinda dove into it and much like the forks on this 89 kx125, the kx250 and 500 use the same pedal. there is an adjustable pedal stop thats part of the frame by the rear brake master cylinder on these KX bikes. It would be VERY easy to fabricate this stop in a kdx with the engine in the bike, aside from burning the frame paint off to weld the piece on :neutral: so no zip ties needed. even the factory spring fit and works great.

really though, I've beat the hell out of my kdxE, and the factory brake pedal didn't contest.

brake pedal looks like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Kawasaki-K ... 28&vxp=mtr
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com