Jetting Woes

Got questions? We got answers....
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Jetting Woes

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

HELP! I am finally able to ride my restored H-series KDX, and it's running like garbage. Here is the info:

Stock Reeds
FMF Woods
FMF Powercore 2
152 Main Jet
42 Pilot Jet
1173N Needle, second clip from top
Fuel Ratio--50:1
Riding in New England weather, 0-1,000 ft. above sea level

It is stuttering all through the power range, might be too rich? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm going on a big enduro trip next week!!!
jerry malbeck

Re: Jetting Woes

Post by jerry malbeck »

drop the main to a 150 and try that ,check reeds no gap between reeds and block .
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Post by TheJackRabbit »

try a 40 pilot jet and adjusting the air screw
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
Putter

Post by Putter »

Problem is that it's across all ranges, so it's not likely to be all circuits, but rather a commonality between them, especially if it ran in this configuration before. Swap the sparkplug first thing, just to rule it out, even if it's brand new. Check the float needle for seating and float level setting itself. After that, check all the wiring up to the coil and the coil itself, as maybe the spark is weak. After that, a compression test and a crankcase pressure test. Only after that would I get into the individual circuits.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The same recipe as before:
New plug, clean filter, fresh gas. Make sure the intake and exhaust tracks are mechanically sound (i.e.: reeds good, no tears/holes in boots, throttle properly adjusted, silencer freshly packed, exhaust leaks good, etc). Since it's across the board take a good look at fuel delivery...petcock, screens, fuel tank. Disassemble and clean the carb. Then and only then run through the jetting guide.
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

I've had this thing down to the crank, and everything has been built back up carefully and meticulously--no leaks anywhere, brand new exhaust system, reeds are fine, boots are fine, air filter is new and serviced, and brand new gas. It's just baffling. I'll try a new plug. Maybe it's the 50:1 ratio that's making it rich? Something to do with the KIPS? If it is the KIPS, how should I check?

One other thing––it leaks gas when sitting on the kickstand. I've adjusted the float height a zillion times to no avail. The float needle jet is new too, no wear on the rubber tip.
cornishwrecker220

Jetting Woes

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I think you may have the wrong needle.....I`m sure the correct needle for a `h` 200 is R1174K ? the R1173N I think is a richer needle so there may be your problem......are you running the carb off an older 200 kdx E series ?
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Jetting Woes

cornishwrecker220 wrote:I think you may have the wrong needle.....I`m sure the correct needle for a `h` 200 is R1174K ? the R1173N I think is a richer needle so there may be your problem......are you running the carb off an older 200 kdx E series ?
Interesting. This was a frankenbike, so who knows where the hell the carb came from. It's a PWK 35mm.
jerry malbeck

Post by jerry malbeck »

If its leaking on the stand your float is NOT right. Just went thru the same thing with my sons 2001 set up just like yours , same elevation here in eastern washington . My problem was the reeds, even though they looked fine after holding them up to direct sunlight i was able to see a tiny bit of a gap between the reed and the block.make sure you check both sides of the float as one side can be tweeked a little diff. then the other, I like to set mine where it is just level with the carb assy when looking at the ridge on the float itself . I double checked mine with a kawa tool and when you set it this way its dead on .
Putter

Post by Putter »

Leaking on the stand is the key symptom now. Fix that and the other symptoms will probably clear up. You can be sure Kawa didn't ship these things leaking on the stand.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Putter wrote:Leaking on the stand is the key symptom now. Fix that and the other symptoms will probably clear up. You can be sure Kawa didn't ship these things leaking on the stand.
+1
Fix the float issue first! I have had this problem myself, so I am speaking from experiance! Keep adjusting lower until the leaking goes away. As long as it's not running out of fuel on a long pull, you are ok. Trust me, it should not leak fuel . The float is too high.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yep, goes back to what we always say...mechanically sound and properly adjusted...
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

chippy wrote:
Putter wrote:Leaking on the stand is the key symptom now. Fix that and the other symptoms will probably clear up. You can be sure Kawa didn't ship these things leaking on the stand.
+1
Fix the float issue first! I have had this problem myself, so I am speaking from experiance! Keep adjusting lower until the leaking goes away. As long as it's not running out of fuel on a long pull, you are ok. Trust me, it should not leak fuel . The float is too high.
Well, I lowered the float level again. Got it to a point where the carb was twisted slightly more upright and it did not leak on the stand. The second I tilted it further over on the stand, it began dripping, so I have to go even lower. In other news, I dropped the needle to the top clip and the bike performed better. I ordered a 148, 145, and 142 main, as well as a 40 pilot, as I think it's just way too rich. We'll see what happens.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

My new 2003 KDX200 leaked from day one at any angle even slightly lower than where the kickstand kept it at. I always assumed that it was the way that it was designed. My 2003 220 does the same thing but it has to be somewhat lower than the 200. Now you have me thinking. Gonna be checking the floats this week on both and see what the levels are....
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

You say that you went through the bike, did you fix anything? Did you put in a new set of rings or a new piston or did you maybe go in there to replace those crank seals? Maybe the bike was jetted to a loose engine and now that you tightened it up it won't run on the old jetting.
Also, I'm not sure that the KIPS would affect the entire range if they were misadjusted, but after recently doing a top end on my 220, I realized that what the manual described didn't exactly match my bike. Are you sure you got those dead on? Again, don't know exactly what they might affect being out of synch but might be worth revisiting.

Anyone with more experience want to jump in here?

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

Hey Mayor, where are you riding out of? I am over in NH but we ride the Rumsford area quite a bit. Know of any good areas down in the southwestern part of the state. I love riding Maine, but don't necessarily like the 4 hour drive to get to Newry where my buddy has his place.

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

GOT WOODS? wrote:You say that you went through the bike, did you fix anything? Did you put in a new set of rings or a new piston or did you maybe go in there to replace those crank seals? Maybe the bike was jetted to a loose engine and now that you tightened it up it won't run on the old jetting.
Also, I'm not sure that the KIPS would affect the entire range if they were misadjusted, but after recently doing a top end on my 220, I realized that what the manual described didn't exactly match my bike. Are you sure you got those dead on? Again, don't know exactly what they might affect being out of synch but might be worth revisiting.

Anyone with more experience want to jump in here?
The bike has a new nikasil coating, brand new stock piston with rings, and nearly everything else is new. I didn't put new seals on the crank as they were in good shape. I didn't mess with the KIPS, but assembled the arm correctly when I put the clutch cover back on. That increase in performance with the dropped needle seemed promising, and I'm really looking forward to trying the smaller jets. I guess two smokes are really particular with their jetting. As for the floats, it's amazing how far off from stock spec they need to be to work right.

GOT WOODS, I'm up near Bar Harbor, but ride a lot of rocky single track further inland, near Ellsworth. In fact, I'm going on an enduro trip near MT. Washington next weekend, so I'm scrambling to get this thing running right. We are camping out near Gorham I think and riding the OHRV trails. Can't wait!
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Okay, I am beyond perplexed. I went and got 145, 148, and 150 mains and 38 and 40 pilots. I tried 145 at the bottom clip and it was better, but still felt like it was stumbling down low. I tried the 38 and 40 pilots and it got a little better, but I still wasn't happy. So, my friend took the carb off of his and put it on mine. What a world of difference! The problem is, it was stock jetting, 160 main, 45 pilot. So why the hell did my bike feel rich jetted lean and then just right with richer jets??? Upon further inspection, he had a 5 slide while I have a 6 slide. He also probably has the 1174 needle. Either way, what the hell? Anyone have any suggestions?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

is your float needle beat up?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

newbbewb wrote:is your float needle beat up?
It looks brand new. Float level is finally right--took many tries to get it there. Turns out the floats were bent upward, putting them at an angle. They are now straight and at the right level. No leaking on the stand, but leaking at an extreme angle.

I think I'm just going to stick around stock jetting and tweak from there.