Jetting Woes

Got questions? We got answers....
jerry malbeck

Re: Jetting Woes

Post by jerry malbeck »

After running your friends stock carb and having a better running bike AND getting float level correct starting from scratch would be best. The float needle can look good BUT the seat could be damaged or worn.If I were in your place i would gut the carb and clean every passage , Jet ETC . and start from scratch .All bikes are diffrent, I live in the same altitude as you , weather is dry and around 80-85 degrees , just went thru about the same problem as you on my sons bike , I had a hard to determin reed problem and ended up with a 150 main and a 40 pilot, clip dead center , His bike pulls HARD from bottom to top end now , didnt know it could pull that hard.Have to ask are you having a idle problem? I.E. will idle adjust with the idle screw?
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

Idle is great--it can idle low or high without a problem. With his 160/45 jetting, the bike felt perfect in mid and high RPMs. Low RPMs were the best they were with the 45 pilot, but still not tractor-like, like his bike. I'm wondering if the slightly richer 1173N needle and slightly leaner 6 slide have anything to do with it. The carb has been cleaned about a dozen times. Floats are finally working right. I've got my 152 main in there now and a 38 pilot. I'll throw the 42 back in there and see if the floats were the problem all along. If that doesn't work, I'll try bigger jets to get closer to where my friend's carb was.

In the meantime, if there's anyone with an extra 5 slide and 1174N needle that would like to sell or trade for an 1173/6 combo, please let me know!
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Okay, scratch that. The floats still leak. It doesn't matter what level they're at, they leak. I have tried adjusting them a dozen times, cleaned the needle seating surface, made sure that it's a brand new float needle, and it still pisses gas under the bike. I'm about finished with this carb. Does anyone have an H-series 200 carb they would be willing to trade/sell? I have a feeling it's not going to run right with any jetting at point.
chippy

Post by chippy »

Silly question, but are the floats too heavy? (fuel soaked)
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Okay, I did some more investigating. The floats are fine--no leaks. However, I played with the float needle spring loaded actuator and at first it stuck a few times. I kept working and and it all of a sudden sprung free and bounced up and down when pressed and released. Maybe it had a tiny piece of dirt in there, or the spring was twisted slightly and needed to break free? I'm not holding a parade until it's back on the bike.

The other find was the carb's throttle valve cutaway, which looks like this:
Image[/URL]

My friend's looked like it had a notch in the middle while mine is just a straight rectangular tab. Is this right for a 200 carb? I think between the 220 needle and 6 slide that this carb was never meant for a 200, even though it's a 35mm. I think someone just stuffed the parts in it and hoped it would work. How much of an effect would all this have on my jetting, and can I work around it?
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Well, I talked to Fredette and he told me to check the KIPS valve operation. I guess that can kill low end if it's not working right. Anyone have any input on how to check to see if the KIPS is working correctly?
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Brand new floats and this F@&%$# thing still pisses gas. I'm about ready to throw it off a bridge.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

You might want to revisit the KIPS. When I was doing my top end over a few months back I didn't realize that the gears that move the valves can fall out and when I turned the cylinder over to do something or other the valve dropped down. I went back and pulled the two gear mechanisms out and made sure that they were all lined up with their notches, etc. You might double check that they didn't move on you.

I have ridden the Gorham area and up in Jericho state park. Great time! Yeah, it would suck to not have your bike ready for that....
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
Putter

Post by Putter »

I feel ya dude. We can talk you down off the ledge. You know it'll get there cause it did with the friend's carb.
Suppose the gas bypasses the needle and the float setting, such as a nick or uneven spot in the seat? Can you check the needle valve seat? I never have and don't how it's configured, but bright lighting and a magifier may help. Also, look around the path the gas flows through to get to the needle seat.
I don't know anything about the jet block, only that it should not be messed with. Check that it's secure and hasn't been messed with just in case it affect the fuel floe before the needle seat.

Finally, and this is a major undertaking, but take off the carb, remove the float bowl, tape the floats in the full position. add a fluid to the fuel line, watch from underneath and see where it comes out. It's a lot of work but it will let you see the problem exactly and confirm where the fuel come from.

The worst thing that could happen is it never gets fixed and you buy a carb off ebay. Then you take yours and a sledge and get even.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

they all leak at an extreme angle. are your floats floating?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Putter wrote:I feel ya dude. We can talk you down off the ledge. You know it'll get there cause it did with the friend's carb.
Suppose the gas bypasses the needle and the float setting, such as a nick or uneven spot in the seat? Can you check the needle valve seat? I never have and don't how it's configured, but bright lighting and a magifier may help. Also, look around the path the gas flows through to get to the needle seat.
I don't know anything about the jet block, only that it should not be messed with. Check that it's secure and hasn't been messed with just in case it affect the fuel floe before the needle seat.

Finally, and this is a major undertaking, but take off the carb, remove the float bowl, tape the floats in the full position. add a fluid to the fuel line, watch from underneath and see where it comes out. It's a lot of work but it will let you see the problem exactly and confirm where the fuel come from.

The worst thing that could happen is it never gets fixed and you buy a carb off ebay. Then you take yours and a sledge and get even.
I've had the carb off about 197 times, and one time I did the leak test by pushing the floats up, and guess what? IT DIDN'T LEAK! :drinkers: I think it could be the valve seat. Maybe when tipped even slightly the needle doesn't seat well, or it leaks from one of the three outer grooves on the seat. At this point, I am considering just selling the bike and finding one that actually works. I am almost ready to take the asshole who sold me this thing to court.

Newb--it is leaking just parked on the kickstand.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

There have been some posts I've seen around that say never soak your carb in cleaner as it messes with some o ring or whatever in some block in your carb that normally doesn't come apart. Maybe the previous owner did this and messed up the o ring/s. Might be worth a check.
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
Flanker

Post by Flanker »

About the leaking thing I'm pretty sure mine leaks all the time no matter what even when the floats were so low it would starve at like half the rpm it would get to usually. I always thought that is what the off position on the petcock is for whenever I stop I put it to off otherwise there is a steady drip drip drip coming from the overflow.