linkage bolt removal

Got questions? We got answers....
iswenson

linkage bolt removal

Post by iswenson »

So I am doing a frame down rebuild on my 04 KDX220R. I have the shock + swingarm off (bearings are TOAST!) and I am now taking off the linkage. Where the linkage connects to the frame, how do you get the bolt out??? I have the nut off, but there is no room to get a drift in behind the bold to tap it out. I just tried soaking the bolt + linkage in WD to see if that will loosen it up some.

Thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

linkage bolt removal

Post by scheckaet »

i think you need to remove the shock or unbolt it to take it all apart and have enough clearance.
iswenson

Re: linkage bolt removal

Post by iswenson »

Yes I have removed the shock + the swingarm. I have the linkage assembly still connected to the frame. I have the nut off of the linkage-frame connection, but I cannot get any 'purchase' to get that pivot bolt out, and it is too stuborn to just pull out by hand.

Ian
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It seems to me you could get straight on it if you take the rear brake lever off.
A long punch, and knock it out from brake side to shifter side?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
iswenson

linkage bolt removal

Post by iswenson »

hmmm seemed like a frame tube was directly next to it, but your right I don't have the rear reservoir or guard off yet. Will report back thanks KarlP
iswenson

Post by iswenson »

OK so the linkage bolt is DEFF not accessible, rear break on or off. It would be MUCH nicer if the bolt was assembled the other way as there is more clearance on the left (shifter) side of the bike to get a punch/drift in there.

I am going to try to get a LONG c-clamp which I can get on the bolt head + the other side of the frame and try to force it out that way. I have PB blasted the hell outa that thing to try to loosen it up. Short of this working I am cutting the f'in bolt off.

I guess the important thing is: Don't forget about these bearings!!! I am experiencing how much easier it would be to do regular maintenance (grease + inspect) than emergency surgery!